• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How To Store It

Boomer52

Good Friends, Good Cigars
The other day I was very surprised to be the recipient of my first ISOM cigar. It is a RyJ Romeo No.1 in an aluminum tube. Since I plan on saving it for a special occasion this coming spring, I need some input as to how to store it. In short, do I take it out of the tube and put it in the humi, or do I put the unopened tube in?

I am trying my best not to smoke NOW. :D

The other day I was very surprised to be the recipient of my first ISOM cigar. It is a RyJ Romeo No.1 in an aluminum tube. Since I plan on saving it for a special occasion this coming spring, I need some input as to how to store it. In short, do I take it out of the tube and put it in the humi, or do I put the unopened tube in?

I always take them out. Nothing worse than keeping it for a special event and opening it to find it moldy.

Hi Boomer52,

To each his own in these matters, but here is what I do: I keep it sealed in its tube inside the humidor until a week or two before smoking it, then I open the tube but leave the cigar in it until I want to smoke it. Of course, sometimes I need to smoke sooner or later than planned! I keep my humidor around 65% RH. I find many cigars have higher moisture, when received, than I like so I also like to let them dry out a little at 65% before smoking.

Cheers,
antaean

boomer-

if you have an adequate humi, you can store with or without the A/T. There is little appreciable benefit in my opinion to removing it from the tube and keeping it in the humi. some will say that flavors of unlike cigars have a tendency to merge, when placed side-by-side in a humi. not sure thats likely to happen in a few months, but....

i say smoke it now and get some more in the spring. it is a relative value at about $8 a stick here in mexico.

cheers
drew p

Since it is a tie between leave it in the tube and open it, with "smoke it now" a close second, I think I will open it and let the 65% beads in the humi keep it properly humidified. Also the mold issue is something I would like to avoid.

Thanks for the input.