• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How well do Padron 64's and 26's age?

Gator

I'm starting to like Padron's more and more. and i was curious if they got more complex and flavorful w/ a year or two on them, like Opus and Anejo do?

Frank,

In my experience, Padron of all lines get mellower, softer, sometimes a bit richer, but to be honest, I don't really get a ton of development over time. Now I've been smoking various Padron lines since 1996/1997 but I am plum out of ones with lots of age. The last remaining ones are some Churchills and Magnums from the late 1990's but I have not taken one out to try in years.

It's my impression that they do not significantly transform into different animals with the passage of years. Now, that said, I also smoke a lot more maduros than naturals. Maybe 90:10 so my recollection of the naturals is a lot more scattered and less clear.

I'm really curious as to what other longtime Padron-o-philes think.

Wilkey

Ive smoked few 64'er with 2 or 3 years on them and they were much smooother than a one smoked from a new opened box, although these were also awesome. For me fresh 64'ers has kind of cleaner but also a little less varied taste. After all both kickz azz! :p

Just my 2 cents.

I find fresh 64/26s to be quite flavorful/balanced and don't really notice much of a difference after only 1-2 years. Whereas with fresh Opus, 1-2 years generally makes a huge difference.

Of the aged 64s I've smoked, with 7-9 years of age, the difference is amazing. The depth, complexity and finish is just amazing. If you're looking to age a box for 7+ years, you will NOT be disappointed with the 64 line.

I haven't smoked a 26 with more than 3 years on it, but with the flavor profile, I expect them to age equally well, if not better.

Cup

Of the aged 64s I've smoked, with 7-9 years of age, the difference is amazing. The depth, complexity and finish is just amazing. If you're looking to age a box for 7+ years, you will NOT be disappointed with the 64 line.
Well hell, I guess there had to be a downside to smoking them before they got too old. :(

Wilkey

I had a '26 #6 maduro not that long ago that had 6 years on it and I agree with Wilkey, it did get a little more mellow and a little less of the harshness you can find in an out of the box '26, but the differences to me weren't very noticible. I did smoke a '26 #6 maddie later that evening just for this purpose that had about 6 months age on it.

The aged ones I had were very smooth but more mild. For me with Padrons in particular, they sit in the humi for a month or so only to adjust to my specs before smoking. I order them as I go, 5 or 10 at a time. The difference is much more noticeable with Opus and Anejo but I feel they are much stronger than a Padron to begin with. I never had a nic buzz from a 64 or 26. They are some of my favs though.

I had a '26 #6 maduro not that long ago that had 6 years on it and I agree with Wilkey, it did get a little more mellow and a little less of the harshness you can find in an out of the box '26, but the differences to me weren't very noticible. I did smoke a '26 #6 maddie later that evening just for this purpose that had about 6 months age on it.
Excellent idea to do the comparison, Brian.

The aged ones I had were very smooth but more mild. For me with Padrons in particular, they sit in the humi for a month or so only to adjust to my specs before smoking. I order them as I go, 5 or 10 at a time. The difference is much more noticeable with Opus and Anejo but I feel they are much stronger than a Padron to begin with. I never had a nic buzz from a 64 or 26. They are some of my favs though.
Now that you mention it, that is right on. Never had a buzz from a Padron but the Fuente Fuente always knocks me on my ass.

Wilkey

I have a box of '26 #6 maddies sitting at the bottom of my humidor. I want to say I bought them in the middle of last year and I'm not going to touch them for a long while. I want to gives these a chance to rest and see what time does to them.

I do have 3 Padrons with some age to them. I have one Millenium Maduro, 1 '64 from 2000, and 1 4000 from 2000. I'm trying to save the Millenium for a special event of some kind, I just don't know what yet. I may have to light that one as a birthday smoke next month. As far as the other two, I am now thinking I should light them up pretty soon and compare them to the same cigar fresh.

Now that you mention it, that is right on. Never had a buzz from a Padron but the Fuente Fuente always knocks me on my ass.

Wilkey

It's funny that this came up. My last case of "nicotine sickness came from a Padron 1926. I can't remember the size but there were a number of factors that played into this.

I hadn't smoked in about two weeks, my stomach was completely empty, and I think I may of been mildly dehydrated (I was working out not too long before I lit up). Combine all of that just about anything would of gotten to me. It was pretty bad, I was driving when I felt it kick in and I realized that really soon I would of been a hazard on the road. I pulled into a gas station picked up some apple juice, a gatorade and some crackers. I drank the juice and ate the crackers in the parking lot and waited a few minutes before I left, that took care of it real quickly.

Other than that one instance I've never even received a buzz from a Padron.

Wilkey

It's funny that this came up. My last case of "nicotine sickness came from a Padron 1926. I can't remember the size but there were a number of factors that played into this.

I had a little #35 maduro that tore me up, but I think it was mostly due to dehydration, also (Iraq in the summertime!). :)

I watched several of the CA videos on the Padron family and their cigars, as well as some of the articles this past weekend in anticipation of smoking my 1st 80th. Several times it was mentioned that one of the cornerstone of their cigar manufactring philosophy (and especially the "special/Ltd. Ed" type sticks) is the deliberate use of highly aged tobacco when rolling. Therefore a majority of the effects/benefits of aging are done before the cigars are ever rolled.

Will resting and marrying in the humi effect them still? IMHO opinion yes, however probably to a highly decreased factor over other manufacturers products.

Padron-lover checking in here. IMO the main difference RE: 1964/1926 and opus is that the padrons are ready to smoke when they hit the store. The Opus are not, IMO. So there is your first difference. The flavors of the Opus, being much more full bodied will therefore be affected more dramatically with time than will the Padrons.

Now, personally, I love the PAM's with 7 years or more on them. I think they balance perfectly and give you a "creaminess" that is unmatched.

This doesn't end with the high end Padrons. Wilkey, when you torch those late 90's Execs and magnums I think you will be in for a real treat.

YMMV, but I think Padrons in the high and lower end lines age beautifully.

I watched several of the CA videos on the Padron family and their cigars, as well as some of the articles this past weekend in anticipation of smoking my 1st 80th. Several times it was mentioned that one of the cornerstone of their cigar manufactring philosophy (and especially the "special/Ltd. Ed" type sticks) is the deliberate use of highly aged tobacco when rolling. Therefore a majority of the effects/benefits of aging are done before the cigars are ever rolled.

Will resting and marrying in the humi effect them still? IMHO opinion yes, however probably to a highly decreased factor over other manufacturers products.

A major part of aging is the breakdown of different chemicals and compounds naturally found in tobacco. I think when the tobacco has been extensively aged prior to rolling, instead of this breakdown occurring you have the other part of the aging process, the "marrying" of oils within the cigar.

We all know different types of tobacco are used to give cigars there flavor and burn characteristics, my understanding is that with time the oils from these different types of tobaccos will intermingle an form somewhat different flavors.

I have some Padróns with 10 years+ age on them... and I would say with some certainty that, for me, they do indeed age and improve quite nicely.

I have some Padróns with 10 years+ age on them... and I would say with some certainty that, for me, they do indeed age and improve quite nicely.

Ah Jeez! What doesn't Moki have? Anyone else sick of this guy? Just kidding Moki :cool:

I doubt that highly....so prove me wrong......lmao :sign: j/k

It's good to know that these age nicely. I have several boxes of 26s that I've put away for the past few years. Today, I smoked a 64 with about 2 years of age on them. Normally I don't like the 64, but with age, it was a wonderful cigar.

I have a box of Imperial 64s from 2002 (may be 2003, I'd have to pull it out and check) and I much prefer my new Padrons to the aged ones. So much so that I've decided once I smoke thru the 3 boxes I have to never carry more than a box and a few singles at a time.

Padron works the tobacco in the Anniversarios pretty good, I think they are quite aged by the time they get to the B&M. The only one I think will get better with time is the 80th because the flavor is so strong and pepper that you can tell it will age.

I have some 64's that are 3-5yrs old and they are a VERY good smoke! It's definietly smoother and the flavors have married perfectly.