• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo DC or H.Upmann Monarcas

Strayvector

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like
I'm just about ready to buy another box of sticks and I've narrowed it down to a couple of longer vitolas. I'd like to get some input from all you BOTLs since I've never smoked either of these. The two choices are the Hoyo DC and the H.Upmann Monarcas, both from '98. Which would you get?

The Hoyos have that spicy flavor.

The Upmanns are more of a smooth coffee flavor.

Both cigars are great choices. If I had to choose I think I would go with the Hoyos. I think they are consistent and I like the Hoyo spicy flavors that they usually have.

I would go with H. Upmann - Monarchs A/T. This was by far the best "big" smoke I have ever had. I believe it was from 2000. Never had a hoyo, so I can't comment there.

I've had both. However, the Hoyos that I have smoked were from 99 and 01. The Monarchs (only a couple) were from 00. I would take the HdM DC hands down. Freakin' love that cigar. When it is on, it is one of the best in the world...just MHO.

You are facing a great win/win situation!!!!!

I know the Upmann 1998s very well and they are a DELICIOUS smoke --- having said that, the 98 HdMs also deliver a Classic tasting experience.... so how can you lose?

If forced to pick one - I would go with the Upmanns...but if I got a box of the HdMs - I'd be a smiling boy as well....

karlgriffin said:
do a box split group buy and get em both
[snapback]222909[/snapback]​

A bit hard to do since I'm not in the US right now, but will definitely do a few when I get back. Way too many cigars that I want, but can't afford to buy boxes of all of them.

I have both of these that are 1998. If you are looking for a nice morning cigar then the Hoyo is your ticket. They are one of the mildest Cubans.If you are looking for a much stronger after dinner cigar with much more nose,then pick the Monarch.

Got to go with Dawg here. The Hdm DC is a magnificent cigar. Mild yes, but so smooth and creamy with a subtle sweetness. Damn, now I'm salivating :p

Since I am a big fan of the H. Upmanns I would go with them. Never had one I didn't like. I'd love to get a 5er from you if you got them :whistling: .

im in no way trying to knock your post...but can never understand the "which would you buy" questions in general...

what i enjoy may not be what you enjoy...it would make more sense to ask if anyone has one of each to spare/trade and try them and then decide...anyway i enjoy the monarch myself...the tangs being better if you can find them...but the 98 upmanns are nice for sure.
it really depends on taste as most love epi 1's and 2's and i have never enjoyed one...i dont like them..go figure ? eveyones taste is different.
bottom line buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy...dont go by others opinions.

habanowhore said:
im in no way trying to knock your post...but can never understand the "which would you buy" questions in general...

The posts that always amaze me are the " I have just purchased a box of <XYZ Cigar>...and was wondering - WHAT DO THEY TASTE LIKE ? or HOW ARE THEY SMOKING ? " Talk about putting the cart before the horse......

habanowhore said:
[snapback]223849[/snapback]​
Just trying to pad my post count and get that addional bar. :D

With that in mind, I also like the input from many of the members on this site and how they liked the cigars and what type of flavors they noted. I'd love to trade for a couple of singles, but being out of the country makes it hard to do this. I want to buy some cigars with a little age on them and I would have loved to buy a couple of singles to try them out first. From experience, imho, there is a greater degree of taste difference in the longer vitolas the more they age and unfortunately, these 2 boxes will not be sold as singles.

BTW, what did you mean by "the tangs"? Is this the in-crowd way of describing the aluminium tubes?

H. Upmann's specially commissioned for David Tang. I believe there were Coronas, Monarcas and #2s. Very rare now and some swear they are much better then the regular production.

Strayvector said:
BTW, what did you mean by "the tangs"? Is this the in-crowd way of describing the aluminium tubes?
[snapback]224007[/snapback]​

David Tang is the Pacific Cigar chairman (still is/was??). He commissioned the Upmann No. 2, Corona, and Monarch in 2000. Some say these are richer and tastier then their regular production counterparts.

I don't see anything wrong with asking what others think about certain cigars before they buy them.I have friends whose tastes I trust. If I am looking at something new I would contact one of them and find out their take on that particular cigar.

I couldn't tell you what you should order, but I would definately order the Monarchs. I have a box of the BM OUSU Monarchs and they are mighty fine specimens. The Hoyos are a classic smoke, but a bit too mild for me.

As to the specially commisioned HU #2 and Monarchs, to me they taste exactly the same as the regular production. JMHO