• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey, Dark Sumatra Espresso

Ginseng

Banned
Tonight's study smoke was Dark Sumatra Espresso from Hoyo de Monterrey. Accompaniments were home made brownies and a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

Lately, I've been on a bit of a dark-wrapper jag and this stick fits the bill with a dark, sun-grown Ecuadorian Sumatra capa or wrapper. The binder is Connecticut broadleaf and the tripa or filler is a three country blend of Honduran/Nicaraguan/Dominican. So, this is about as far from a puro or single-country composition as you can find.

Billed as a full-bodied, Cuban-style cigar, it seemed just the thing for a chilly night of reading in the garage lounge.

Prelight and Initial Stage
This cigar certainly had nice packaging. The essential Hoyo band was coupled with a cedar sleeve which had supplemental bands at the top and bottom. A nice presentation. Slipping off the sleeve revealed a rich, medium dark leathery brown wrapper that resembled that on the Ashton VSG line though not as oily. Lightly veined and not toothy, it looked promising of a rich smoking experience.

Light-up was trouble free and soon the cigar was burning nicely. Initial impressions were indeed of earthiness and medium-rich tobacco. There was a pleasant toastiness to the scent. Though billed as full bodied, I'd say it was more medium-full by my reckoning. Smoke volume was very good and the draw was on the light side of right on. It was easy to blow smoke rings with this baby. I also noticed right away that almost in contradiction to the fullness and earthiness of the flavor, the lingering scent was light, almost floral and quite pleasant. Aftertaste was rounded, light and pleasing. I wonder how much of this is a characteristic of the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. This was the second stick in a row with this wrapper (the other being the LGC RF, Nat, previously reviewed) that had this characteristic. Rich, texture and delightful aroma.

Late Stage and Finish
This cigar was turning out to be a nicely satisfying smoke. Heading into the half-way point, the ash was a stiff light gray. Burn continued to be organically straight with only a few flame and dab touch ups needed for slight runs and lags. Flavor remained an engaging and rich earthy base with slight elements of woodiness emerging. I also started to notice some decent bean flavors upon double puffing. This was a pretty smooth and dense stick. Good overall. The smoke and lingering scent continued to be very pleasant with a lovely floral tone. I worked this one down to about the last 7/8" and it never got harsh or rough. In fact, it seemed to thicken up even more with an amplification of the earthy notes. Nice.

Overall: A very nice stick at a very nice price of around $4 I think. Rich, earthy, great aroma, tolerant of huffing and good to the very last. Recommended.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...oDarkSumEsp.jpg)

Wilkey

great review, makes me want to go out and get some of these. always wondered about the sumatra wrapper tasting characteristics. thw hdm maduro have always been a favorite, now i'll try these, thanks! :cool:

Very nice review ... I like that size smoke, same as the Chateau Fuente.

Haven't got to smoke one yet, just got them yesterday so they are going to sit. Now I can't wait to light one up.

normal_cigars%20004%7E0.jpg

normal_cigars%20003%7E0.jpg

normal_cigars%20002%7E0.jpg

Nice sampler gtphale. I think you'll enjoy them when you get around to lighting one up. :)

Wilkey

Nice review, I have one of those sitting in the humidor just waiting to be smoked. I may have to fire it up this week! As for the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, I love 'em too. You should try the Punch Rare Corojo Rothschilde or El Rico Habano Club. Both are robusto sized cigars and with Ecuadorian Sumatra wrappers.

jstrat said:
Nice review, I have one of those sitting in the humidor just waiting to be smoked. I may have to fire it up this week! As for the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, I love 'em too. You should try the Punch Rare Corojo Rothschilde or El Rico Habano Club. Both are robusto sized cigars and with Ecuadorian Sumatra wrappers.
[snapback]249398[/snapback]​

Right on. I've got a Punch RC with about 18 months on it. When I tried its twin fresh, it was rather flat until past the halfway mark. Maybe its matured a bit. El Rico Habano...wow, haven't had one of those in years. I used to buy those, La Flor Dominicana and LGC DCs by the box. Guess it's time to revisit old friends.

Wilkey

Thanks for the great review Ginseng....Always enjoy the pics :whistling:

Scott

Excellent review!

I have that same little sampler that someone posted a picture of. I took some notes when I smoked my first espresso. I'll have to dig that out and compare with your review.

Thanks Craig,
I'm enjoying reviewing these accessible smokes. I'll leave it to guys like Moki to review the stuff that makes us eat our hearts out. ;)

Pyre,
Do check in and let us know what your impressions were. :)

Wilkey

lol Well I have good connections, now if I can find a connection for free isom's i'd be all set.

That brownie looks sooooo good right now. I just received an early Christmas gift card to JR and they just happen to have these babies. Based on your review, Wilkey, I'm picking some up.

Great review, thanks. :thumbs:

Here's what I wrote about this cigar:

The flavor was very smooth, and it left very little aftertaste. This cigar surprised me. Every puff seemed like it would be very strong and slightly harsh, but on exhale I realized that it wasn't quite as strong as it seemed, and there never was any harshness or bitterness. The flavors were very smooth and seemed to just roll together.

I have decided that this cigar seems stronger than it really is. If that makes any sense. I would say this cigar was just on the top-side of medium.

Pyre said:
Here's what I wrote about this cigar:

The flavor was very smooth, and it left very little aftertaste. This cigar surprised me. Every puff seemed like it would be very strong and slightly harsh, but on exhale I realized that it wasn't quite as strong as it seemed, and there never was any harshness or bitterness. The flavors were very smooth and seemed to just roll together.

I have decided that this cigar seems stronger than it really is. If that makes any sense. I would say this cigar was just on the top-side of medium.
[snapback]250074[/snapback]​

I concur. Rich, not harsh at all, fairly smooth. Perhaps it was the tingly, peppery notes in the smoke that gave the impression of impending strength.

Wilkey

I got a five pack of the Ebano size from JR and I had the same experience as you did. Shared one with a buddy of mine and I couldn't stop smelling his aroma even though I had the same cigar, it was very pleasant. My finish as I recal was very woody/cedary. Damn fine cigar.

edit: A comment on the ash. I tried to nudge off some ash that was about one inch or so and that little sucker didn't want to let go!

Great review on the Dark Sumatra Ginseng! Upon returning to cigar smoking this year, I purchased a sampler box of Dark Sumatras (and a box of Onxy Reserve toros for the curious). The sampler came with two of each size, and while I prefer the one two sizes up I smoked an Esspresso first. My notes from that night are a medium to full smoke with a very even burn. Good flavor with a kinda sweet / mild chocolate flavor with cedary hints. Overall a very enjoyable smoke.

With that being said, I've tried a couple of the sizes and they all taste pretty much alike. (that is a good thing) The presentation as you noted is top notch, especially considering the cost. As soon as I find a bigger humidor I will be keeping a box of these around at all times. I thought a 300 count humi would be bigger than I'd ever need.... how wrong I was. :p

arvee said:
I thought a 300 count humi would be bigger than I'd ever need.... how wrong I was. :p
[snapback]266245[/snapback]​

And another one bites the dust :D ;)

Welcome, arvee.

Wilkey

i like villazon smokes in general but the dark sumatras never did it for me. id rather have a regular hoyo in double maddie.