• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidification for Layered High Count Travel Humidors+

MadMonk

I recently acquired a 40 Count Travel Humidor. Plastic with four ten count foam trays. 
My old travel humidor is a zippered leather covered cedar box affair that hold about 10 cigars on one layer.
I just throw one 65% Boveda in the old Leather case.

I've no experience with these layered cases.
Right now I have it full with cigars with one 65% Boveda on top.
I am curious if that is enough, and how easily and evenly the humidity can get through the layers of foam.
I'm wondering if I need to add additional Bovedas, i.e., one more in middle or on bottom, one every layer, etc.

Another question I've had is how well cigars fare in these long term.
The one I have is a "Black Ops" which seems to be made fairly well. Got it for $20.00.
It also has a pressure equalization valve.
I'm hoping that nothing is prone to outgassing and negatively affecting the cigars.

Thanks in advance!

I use the Boveda in mine when traveling with no issues. It usually throw 2 or 3 small bags in there or 1 large bag with no issues. As for long term I have no idea but I'd be worried at how air tight they are but if you are opening it daily that may not be an issue.

Paul

Boveda as well. I throw one way in the bottom beneath the foam insert and one on top with no issues.

Anyone mention Bovida yet...??... :p

Same as the other guys, I put a couple small packs in the humi, never had an issue.

Being the cheap bastard that I am, when I'm not using them, I keep them in a little tupperware with a 1" square synthetic sponge that's soft, not really wet, with distilled water.  If you keep the sponge soft, you can keep your Bovida's for months.

Danny...I have the six count foam tray Xikar version of yours and I slide two 72% Bovedas along the left & right sides between the foam and the plastic sides and it works perfectly...not too humid and not too dry.

At the end of the day, it's a 40 count humidor that seals better than a desktop, two Boveda packs should be plenty for that size. The two I have in mine now have been in place since last Summer, so not much air escapes from these suckers.

ironpeddler said:
Danny...I have the six count foam tray Xikar version of yours and I slide two 72% Bovedas along the left & right sides between the foam and the plastic sides and it works perfectly...not too humid and not too dry.

At the end of the day, it's a 40 count humidor that seals better than a desktop, two Boveda packs should be plenty for that size. The two I have in mine now have been in place since last Summer, so not much air escapes from these suckers.
VERTICAL! Damn, that's smart. Thanks.

I've been using Boveda for a while now. Never had a problem they work great and when it dries up just toss the old one and put a new one in. I open my almost on a daily basis and a large bag will last almost a couple of month's for me.

jvel79 said:
I've been using Boveda for a while now. Never had a problem they work great and when it dries up just toss the old one and put a new one in. I open my almost on a daily basis and a large bag will last almost a couple of month's for me.
Once they start to dry out, toss them in an airtight container with a sponge soaked with distiller water...that will rejuvenate them back to new. Just don't let them turn into a potato chip before doing so.

B.B.S. taught me this a few years back and it works like a charm.

Nice!! Thanks ironpeddler for the tip. Do you leave them for a day or so or just play it by ear to where they just get soft again?

jvel79 said:
Nice!! Thanks ironpeddler for the tip. Do you leave them for a day or so or just play it by ear to where they just get soft again?
It takes some time to reconstitute them. Just put them in the container and forget about them for a few weeks...just be sure to check the sponge periodically because they will obsorb the moisture from it. In time they will return to being a bag of water.

Like Tom said to me when he told me how he did it, "they work both ways, so it stands to reason they will obsorb the moisture around it to return to their predetermined humidity level." When he said that, it was like...duh! I just never thought of it. Smart man that B.B.S....

It takes some time to reconstitute them. Just put them in the container and forget about them for a few weeks...just be sure to check the sponge periodically because they will obsorb the moisture from it. In time they will return to being a bag of water.

Like Tom said to me when he told me how he did it, "they work both ways, so it stands to reason they will obsorb the moisture around it to return to their predetermined humidity level." When he said that, it was like...duh! I just never thought of it. Smart man that B.B.S....

Definitely makes sense. B.B.S is a smarter man than I.
I appreciate you sharing the info. That's why I keep learning more and more about this great hobby. Thank you for sharing with us newbs :)

ironpeddler said:
It takes some time to reconstitute them. Just put them in the container and forget about them for a few weeks...just be sure to check the sponge periodically because they will obsorb the moisture from it. In time they will return to being a bag of water. <br /><br />Like Tom said to me when he told me how he did it, "they work both ways, so it stands to reason they will obsorb the moisture around it to return to their predetermined humidity level." When he said that, it was like...duh! I just never thought of it. Smart man that B.B.S....
<br />BBS IS SMART, even after a bottle or three. I'd listen to that man. If he told me to jump off of a bridge I'd do it, I'm sure he'd have a good reason. :)

BlindedByScience said:
Anyone mention Bovida yet...??... :p

Same as the other guys, I put a couple small packs in the humi, never had an issue.

Being the cheap bastard that I am, when I'm not using them, I keep them in a little tupperware with a 1" square synthetic sponge that's soft, not really wet, with distilled water.  If you keep the sponge soft, you can keep your Bovida's for months.

....gee, I wish I'd have said that.... ;)

I lined my case with heartfelt humidity sheets and usually kept it in the bottom of the humidor and I loaded it when needed, hassle free humidity. But after I needed the room from cigars, I bought a couple empty tubes from heartfelt and filled with the beads in the humidor. Whenever I load a travel humidor, I toss in one of the tubes in one of the cigar slots and problem free. Just unload with the sticks at the end of the night.

Oh, and to the original point of the thread, I do what IronPeddler does - two Bovida's, between the case and foam, vertically, on the left and right sides of the box.  

I use whatever Bovida packs I have in my little tupperware container; 72% 68%...all seem to work fine.

I use a small tube of beads in the bottom of  my Otter box. It's over-kill, but it works.

Doc