• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor drops to 60% - and stays there!

Mr.Willister

First post here and wondering if anyone had the same issue I'm going through now.

After watching a few videos on how to season a humidor and the best type of humidification method to use, I'm running into the issue of once charging my humidor to 70% it almost immediately starts to deplete but for some reason stops at 60% RH. Here are some notable things I've done with it:. After seasoning, I replaced sponge with silica beads (rated for 70%), Calibrated my hygrometer using the salt test. Added digital hygrometer and extra container of beads. Tested for leaks using the dollar bill test, and flash light test. Not sure what else to check for. Hope someone can help. I posted some photos for reference. 16078770068833428175556660787122.jpg16078770798998130725897951356707.jpg

Throw away the sponge and buy a boveda pack. That is not enough beads IMO. I’d take the cigars out and put them into a Tupperware container with those beads until you get a boveda and the humidor stays at the desired rh. It could be that the cigars are to dry so it’s dropping the RH in the humidor when you put them in. My option will help on both fronts

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned, I've already gotten rid of the sponge. The silica beads seem to do their job too because I did a separate test for them just like the salt test. I've been told it may because it's winter and since it's generally dry, the moisture gets sucked out. I'm in Toronto, Canada so it gets pretty dry here in winter.

@CBoukal is right on the money...
You need much more surface area on your beads, and you need more cigars... As advised, temporarily use a Tupperware container for your cigars, while you re-season your humidor.
‘This works great for me...

8EF784C1-96CE-4682-B377-5F2D61A7B148.jpeg:

Thanks, guys. I will try your method by increasing the surface area of the beads by using a wider tray.

Not sure where you are located but the rh will also change with the weather. As winter approaches, if you are in a cold snowy climate or leave the heat on all the time, it will be harder to maintain rh. On the other hand when summer hits it will start to climb too high. Good luck...don't over think it. 60% should be fine.