• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Placement

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
I've recently changed rooms in my house. My new room is hotter than my old room and I am having a tough time keeping the humi's temp at or around 75. I've since moved my humi near so that the ac vent is hitting closer to it. I thought I read somewhere that it is bad to have the humi get hit by the vent. Does it matter? If so, how can I keep the temp down?

If you don't care where you put your humi. Try a closet. That is where I put my coolidor, it NEVER gets above 73 degrees. JMHO

Living here in south Florida I feel ya bro. A humi should be close to air tight, so in that respect it should be fine. But it will cause swings in temp, which probably isn't good for the cigars for long term storage. I agree with Paragod, best place is probably a closet. It is dark, cool, and stable.

Emo

Can't go wrong in a nice cool closet! I have the same problem here in NM, HOT & DRY! :(

I'm one of those folks that don't like when the temps outside get above 80 (go figure, I worked outside for most of my career!), so the AC in the house stays set at 70 this time of year. So no problems with the heat for my cigars.

If you have a basement, put your cigars down there for the summer.

I have the same problem here in Texas........

My wife gave me a tip on getting the temperture to drop a few degree's in our house..... Keep my mouth shut! ;) :D

Actually, I've been considering adding some kind of cooling unit to my cabinet. Check these out: Cooling Units

If any of you have any experience with cooling units tell me what you think. I have a thermostat contoller to regulate the temp......I need to know which size would be appropriate to reduce the temp maybe 5 degree's. My cabinet seems to hang around 72-76 in the summer.

Whoops, sorry about the thread jack..... ???

It doesn't say so, Allofus, but those look like Peltier devices. It's a special kind of material that has a constant temperature drop across it when power is applied to it. So if it's (say) 70 on one side, it's 50 on the other - thus the big-ass heatsinks. (I'm just making these number up to illustrate the way they work.) Of course with a thermostat they can be turned on and off to regulate the temperature to anything you want. They're pretty neat.

I don't know if closet is possible I'll see what I can do. At night the AC is set lower so my humi fluctuates from around 75 in the day to around 68 at night. Is that bad for the cigars? Is it better off to stay at around 75?

I can't do that....my bed is too hot.

Bwwwaaaaaaahh :sign: :sign: :sign:

(You know it's true :lookup: )