• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor RH

raymb1

I have a seasoned glass top humidor 25 ct. Problem is, it needs an 84% Boveda pack to maintain an RH of 67%. Is this humidor worth keeping or should I buy a new one.

Have you calibrated and replaced the battery in your Hygrometer?

Have you calibrated and replaced the battery in your Hygrometer?
Yes. I have an analog and a digital hygrometer. Battery is new in the digital hygrometer. Both are calibrated and read the same. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll be looking for a new humidor.

Can silicone or other caulking material be used to seal the glass top on the inside?

It can, but you have to be sure to get 'aquarium sealant' so it doesn't outgas chemicals that will make your cigars taste bad.

And, even then, give it < plenty > of time to cure. With the lid open...!! Good luck - :cool:

It can, but you have to be sure to get 'aquarium sealant' so it doesn't outgas chemicals that will make your cigars taste bad.
R,
I had similar issue solved by applying sealant, I too used aquarium sealant as recommended by another BOTL and I also sealed the outer part as there was a nice bevel to seat the sealant into on the outside of the lid. I thought this was better as the sealant would not be directly exposed to the internal compartment. I have had no further issues and the bevel hid the bead of sealant very nicely.

R,
I had similar issue solved by applying sealant, I too used aquarium sealant as recommended by another BOTL and I also sealed the outer part as there was a nice bevel to seat the sealant into on the outside of the lid. I thought this was better as the sealant would not be directly exposed to the internal compartment. I have had no further issues and the bevel hid the bead of sealant very nicely.
Great idea, well done...!!

Just curious, do you care what looks like? With this only being a 25 ct maybe you be happier with a tupperware one? Lots of guys here have had really good luck going that route. It doesn't give you the same look for sure but does a great job and is inexpensive.

I just finished caulking with the aquarium silicone on the inside of the humidor, so no worries about how it it looks. It does look OK though. I've had experience with caulking before. I do have a tupperdore that I'm using now, works very well. If I decide to buy more cigars, I'll use both.

I just finished caulking with the aquarium silicone on the inside of the humidor, so no worries about how it it looks. It does look OK though. I've had experience with caulking before. I do have a tupperdore that I'm using now, works very well. If I decide to buy more cigars, I'll use both.
My humidor is holding at 65% RH with 4 72% boveda packs. I just got an acrylic jar that's holding steady at 65% also with cigars in it. I'll continue using the jar for the rest of the winter and use the humidor in the spring and summer when my house RH will be a lot higher.