• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor storage

Cohiba_Maduro#5

If the majority of the tobacco grown for cigars is the Caribbean region where the average humidity level is 85% or higher. Why is it that the recommended humidity level in a cigar humidor is 65%-70%. Thats a rhetorical question. For me, if it's my hobby and I'm keeping an eye on my collection/stored cigars I prefer to long-time storage at 70% plus because I live in a very dry climate. Then before smoking I move a few that I'm planning to smoke to a smaller humidor where I can run up the humidity to 85% for about a week before lighting it up. I'll let it settle at room temp/environment for maybe 30 min. Just enough time to get a couple of drinks in me. What I get is cooler smoke experience with a thicker, richer white smoke without all the crackling I would get from a 60% moisture stick of kindling. If you are of the faction that lives in a high humid region you know what I'm talkin about. I feel like I'm getting the second half of the cigar experience that is very moist and oily and full of flavor, but in the front half.

Then before smoking I move a few that I'm planning to smoke to a smaller humidor where I can run up the humidity to 85% for about a week before lighting it up. I'll let it settle at room temp/environment for maybe 30 min.
You are from Las Vegas which is low humidity, so you blow a cigar up with water to 85%, then deflate it all at once by taking it outside in 10% humidity?? I can only guess they are cracking and bursting like crazy.. How do you even keep a cigar at 85% humidity lit??

If the majority of the tobacco grown for cigars is the Caribbean region where the average humidity level is 85% or higher. Why is it that the recommended humidity level in a cigar humidor is 65%-70%. Thats a rhetorical question. For me, if it's my hobby and I'm keeping an eye on my collection/stored cigars I prefer to long-time storage at 70% plus because I live in a very dry climate. Then before smoking I move a few that I'm planning to smoke to a smaller humidor where I can run up the humidity to 85% for about a week before lighting it up. I'll let it settle at room temp/environment for maybe 30 min. Just enough time to get a couple of drinks in me. What I get is cooler smoke experience with a thicker, richer white smoke without all the crackling I would get from a 60% moisture stick of kindling. If you are of the faction that lives in a high humid region you know what I'm talkin about. I feel like I'm getting the second half of the cigar experience that is very moist and oily and full of flavor, but in the front half.
Also welcome to the forum's head over to the New Member forum and post an introduction so we can get to know you better.

To me cigars stored at that high a humidity would not burn well. I have trouble keeping cigars lit that are too humid. Also, the humidity that the leaves are grown, stored, fermented, etc has nothing to do with the humidity that the final product cigar is stored at. No one is trying to burn/smoke the individual leaves that are in the barn.

If you're happy with the way your smokes taste and smoke, keep doing what you're doing.

Wet cigars smoke hot and have burn issues for me. I store at ~68% but let things calm down in a ~63% 'dry box' for a week or two before smoking. Been doing this for a long time, works very well.

As they say, one man's opinion.......

I like steak. I freeze mine, then burn it to a crisp on the grill, chill it for a few hours, and then burn it some more.

What I get is a charred, burned, chilled, and after-burned steak with a nice ash flavor and an awesome crunch like broken glass.

And in the process, I drink a few beers, a bottle of wine, and a couple ounces of bourbon.