• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor taking the flavor from the cigars?

Nathan52789

Reaction score
I'm not sure what is going on here but, it seems that all my smokes that I leave sitting in my humidor for longer than a few months lose their flavor. I have a local B&M here that I buy from weekly and those taste much better than the ones that I have had sitting for several months. I'm currently using 65% beads from Heartfelt. If anybody could give any advice as to why this is happening it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

Maybe it's not the humidor.

What cigars are we talking about here?

Wilkey

We are talking Padron X000's, Romeo y Julietas, Montecristos, several Cohibas, Ashtons, CAO's, Partagas, RP's, etc.

Is your humi properly seasoned? Have you had to refresh/recharge your beads? What is your humidity measuring device?

If your cigars are getting dried out, that might result in their tasting flat. Also, it's possible that you are accustomed to cigars performing in a higher humidity range. It is not uncommon for B&Ms to keep humidities high. I worked briefly in a shop that had a long walk-in. The humidifier was at one end, away from the door and the humidity difference between the two was well over 6 or 7%. Quite a bit damper near the humidifier.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe you might consider stepping up to the 70% beads and see if the flavor is retained any better.

Wilkey

have had sitting for several months. I'm currently using 65% beads from Heartfelt. If anybody could give any advice as to why this is happening it would be much appreciated.

Ideas

1) Dead air in the humidor - the essential oils might be going into the dead air, especially if you're warmer than 70
2) Wrong kind of cedar - spanish cedar is actually mahogany; american cedar is too strongly scented and will make your sticks smell like wood
3) Stick choice - you might be buying younger sticks, which aren't aged much following rolling, and then they'll marry/mellow a little afterwards. So they'll taste different. Happens with both expensive and inexpensive sticks.
4) Scent memory - your experience of smoking a stick depends on when you're smoking it, what you're drinking, and what you're doing. Do these vary? I know that I can take a much stronger cigar with a strong drink than without.

I thought I had it seasoned properly. Shot glass of distilled water for several weeks. I may have to pick up some 70 beads then and see how those do.

it stays between 68 and 70 in the room.
The only thing I ever have to drink with my cigars is water.

I like Marco-polo's idea about "younger" sticks or the corollary that they were previous stored in a higher humidity environment than your humidor. Storage in your humidor may be causing them to dry out enough that there is a detectable difference in smell/taste. What part of the country are you in?

In either case, if you are detecting the difference, you are probably blessed with an especially good sense of smell and taste. Try taking one back to the shop where you bought it and do a side by side smell without lighting them...

- Rick

Most people enjoy their smokes at 65% RH, others as low as 60% RH, the rest at around 70% RH.

You have probably seen the phrase "taste is subjective" many times on CP and for good reason. Your taste buds may be tuned
to moister sticks and cannot distinguish the same tastes when the cigar is drier.

Unless your hygrometer is 5 to 10 degrees out (salt test it), I would do as others have suggested and store your sticks around 70% RH.
Within 2 to 4 weeks, you should notice a taste difference, the taste you are looking for.

Let us know the outcome because this is interesting, we always associate the RH of the stick, not thinking if we would enjoy the same stick
a lot better at a different RH.

Brian

Some good discussion and advice here.

Another thing I will ask. Where are you smoking the sticks from your humi? I know that I experience a huge difference in strength between smoking indoors and smoking outdoors......are you possibly smoking indoors at the B&M and outdoors at home?

Let us know the outcome because this is interesting, we always associate the RH of the stick, not thinking if we would enjoy the same stick

I just recently started keeping all my Tats at a higher RH% level than the rest of smokes. I was smoking them around 63% but they seemed dry and flat, where as the rest of my cigars seemed perfect. Now that the tats are around 70% I am enjoying them alot more.

I just recently started keeping all my Tats at a higher RH% level than the rest of smokes. I was smoking them around 63% but they seemed dry and flat, where as the rest of my cigars seemed perfect. Now that the tats are around 70% I am enjoying them alot more.
There you go...most folks will tell you that Tats smoke better at 63/65%. For your taste buds, you find them better at 70%...go figure!

Brian

I'm in North Carolina. Alright thanks guy for all the advice. I'm going to pick up some 70 percent beads and stick those into there and see how they do and next time I'm down at the B&M ask and see what percent they keep them. Thanks again.

I'm in North Carolina. Alright thanks guy for all the advice. I'm going to pick up some 70 percent beads and stick those into there and see how they do and next time I'm down at the B&M ask and see what percent they keep them. Thanks again.

Please keep us updated, as I find it odd that you are finding the cigar's tastes are flat. You have some decent smokes in there, and I've not heard of this occurring from a logistics problem with your humidor.

I will throw this monkey wrench into the equation though: There is a time where I go through periods lasting anywhere from 3-4 days to 2 weeks where EVERY SMOKE is flat and tasteless. One night I went through 5 sticks, chucking each one because it tasted flat, before I realized what was happening. I'm not advising you that this is happening in this situation, but do not rule that possibility out.

Try taking a break from the smokes for 3-4 days, let your tastebuds retire for a bit, then fire one up and see how it is. Just my two cents in this change cup of responses.

Please keep us updated, as I find it odd that you are finding the cigar's tastes are flat. You have some decent smokes in there, and I've not heard of this occurring from a logistics problem with your humidor.

I will throw this monkey wrench into the equation though: There is a time where I go through periods lasting anywhere from 3-4 days to 2 weeks where EVERY SMOKE is flat and tasteless. One night I went through 5 sticks, chucking each one because it tasted flat, before I realized what was happening. I'm not advising you that this is happening in this situation, but do not rule that possibility out.

Try taking a break from the smokes for 3-4 days, let your tastebuds retire for a bit, then fire one up and see how it is. Just my two cents in this change cup of responses.
Very good point Jonathan and one we tend to pass over many times.

Women have that time of the month, well so do we cigar smokers :sign:

Seriously though, you are correct, it has happened to me and no doubt to others. Your taste buds can go on vacation. That's why it is always a good idea when sampling a new cigar, to smoke at least 2, possibly 3 sticks to form an opinion.

Brian

This a very good point and one of the reasons I love to read people's input. This week I had a great day of smoking with a couple friends, I smoked a Illusione Culebra, then a Tat Black, and finished with a Illusione 888. The next day I smoked a favorite and it tasted horrible.

Souldoggie makes a good point, you may be smoked out. I have had this happen and like Jon said I took a break for a week and BAMM!!!!! all was good. Experimentation (spl) has always been my best resource, Good luck with your smokes brother.

Again thanks guys for the responses I'll give it about a week before I smoke another as well to see if that may be the problem. I'll let you guys know how it goes.