• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I got the best and the worst cigars in one order

I purchased a Gurkha sampler not too long ago. I've only smoked a couple of them... So far it's been one hit (but not that big of a hit) and one miss. Of the 16 pack sampler I ordered (~$90), all were in great condition when I received them. The one I liked was the Regent box pressed toro. Not the greatest ever, but it kept getting better throughout the smoke. I probably won't ever purchase another Gurkha, but I'll certainly smoke what I've got left and wouldn't turn one down.

Gurkhas are generally well constructed cigars, but they definitely are marketed to people on packaging over product. From the box to the stick, you can see its a lot of form over function. I don't think they are bad sticks - and certainly they are well worth the prices that CBid charges. But in a way, they are the anti-Tatuaje.

I must be a lowly peon, but I like Gurkha Expedition...nice, soury tang; good burn; not expensive.
What's not to like??

Well let me know how they are, I am just hoping it was a bad batch because I have a few more lots on the way and two 8 year Legends that are part of another sampler, so if I try a couple and don't like there will be some trades going on.

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=542096
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=542358

Ten-4 to that, how copy? :laugh:

They better be good, I am gifting one of them to my buddies for his b-day!

To jsgorman:

How are Gurkhas the anti-Tatuaje?

I think you just got a really mishandled batch from CI. I've had good luck with the Gurkhas I've ordered from CI and CBid. I really like the Regents and the cognac infused ones. Legends, Royal Brigade and the X Fuerte aren't too bad, either. I won't buy a ton of them, but wouldn't turn down a good deal on Cbid, either. :)

i grunted out a Gurkha earlier, or something that closely smelled like one...

I think you just got a really mishandled batch from CI. I've had good luck with the Gurkhas I've ordered from CI and CBid. I really like the Regents and the cognac infused ones. Legends, Royal Brigade and the X Fuerte aren't too bad, either. I won't buy a ton of them, but wouldn't turn down a good deal on Cbid, either. :)

Maybe... and yeah, I was really looking forward to the trying the 8 Year aged Legend and the symphony.... or is it symp Phoney? LOL. Not sure if it was a bad batch or just one that got through their quality control because I hear so many mixed opinions about Gurkha.

i grunted out a Gurkha earlier, or something that closely smelled like one...

LMMFAO :laugh:

Symphonies have no flavor to me whatsoever. Legends however are really interesting and taste like you're smoking a stick of butter. It's seriously about the creamiest thing I've ever tasted.

Well constructed in my experience, except for one master's select I had that had a wrapper problem 2 minutes in. In general, I think you can do better for the money excluding a hand full of their products.

The reason why I think they were referred to as the anti-Tatuaje is because of the simplicity of their bands and appearance as compared to their overwhelmingly, intensely flavorful "function." Gurkha however puts the majority of their time and effort into making a jaw-dropping band and to be perfectly honest, some gut-wrenching blends.

I have had a couple I enjoyed, Like the Masters Select Robusto #4 but I think they intentionally conduct a deceptive marketing and therefore I won't support them.

I know what you mean, if these next sticks I get aren't up to par with their sales pitch then they lost a customer in me. Like I was telling 5'O clock.... they do have a helluva sales pitch, shit they can probably sell Ice to an eskimo.

Gurkhas are generally well constructed cigars, but they definitely are marketed to people on packaging over product. From the box to the stick, you can see its a lot of form over function. I don't think they are bad sticks - and certainly they are well worth the prices that CBid charges. But in a way, they are the anti-Tatuaje.

I agree with the statement about the flashy packaging being part of the draw to Gurkha's. (They have a box made of camel bone and antique brass ffs) But I will say that the Nepalese Warrior has never let me down.

Out of about 30 of them, I've had one that was a tough draw, and thats the worst experience I've had yet. I get them from C-Bid for about $3 a stick.

Just to keep you all posted, I did get in touch with CI and they were great about returning the sticks, now I just gotta get to the PO and pay the shipping, a bit of an inconvenience but oh well. Only thing is when I told the lady that they didn't have any kind of humidification she told me they don't usually ship their cigars with any humidification devices, I didn't want to get into it so I just said OK, even though the other bags I received with the singles had humi pillows.

Being the resident Gurkha whore there are a number that I like and some that suck ass. I don't like every stick of any maker so that is pretty normal.

IMO the best ones in no particular order are:

Centurian XX
Signature 101
Gurkha Gold
Any of the 8 year aged
Doble Maduo
Platinum Cognac infused (which are the only "flavored" cigars I smoke)
Master's Select
Beast
Titan

YMMV

Being the resident Gurkha whore there are a number that I like and some that suck ass. I don't like every stick of any maker so that is pretty normal.

IMO the best ones in no particular order are:

Centurian XX
Signature 101
Gurkha Gold
Any of the 8 year aged
Doble Maduo
Platinum Cognac infused (which are the only "flavored" cigars I smoke)
Master's Select
Beast
Titan

YMMV

I had one Gurkha that I didn't really care for, and I had one of the KH Triple Ligero that I loved. The only other Gurkha stick that I currently have is a Titan that I won in a contest. I'm glad to see it's on the list of cigars you like. I may have to burn that one soon and report back with what I think.

D

I've got a Gurkha Royal Brigade sitting in my humi....whats the verdict on these bad boys?

Got a doble maduro with one of my previous orders that came in today... construction was alright, again not great but better than the lasts, has a nice scent to it, can't quite put my finger on it but I guess it's kind of woodsy, kind of butter and pretty earthy, looking forward to trying it though, hope it changes my mind about Gurkha's because they are nice priced sticks with quite a bit of variety and uniqueness. Gonna let it set in the humi for a few days then I'm gonna spark it up, with some anticipation and excitement so hopefully I won't be let down. But here's a thread on the royal brigade. http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...amp;mode=linear

A good friend of mine is a Gurkha fan. The local B&M likes to push them. He has gifted me a couple and they weren't bad. Not my fave by a long shot but OK. I don't know the names of the sticks but they seemed similar.

Anyone ever try a Black Dragon? I asked a superb B&M near my office about them and his opinion was mixed. He felt that they are trendy, over rated and over priced. Needless to say I left them where I found them.

Black Dragons are ok. Not worth the money but not a bad smoke. I bought 2 of each size and smoked one about a week after I got it. Can't remember the flavor profile but it wasn't enough to impress me to go buy any more. Waited about 3 months smoked its pair and still same reaction. I passed the cigars on to my Dad as he tends to like gurka's. In my opinion not worth the money, very overrated but if you where gifted it you wouldn't gag smoking it.

Today I had a Gurkha Doble... yeah, that's Doble.... Dough Blay.... and it was by far the best cigar I've had yet, even though I already had a negative outlook on the Gurkha brand due to my grab bag order, I gave it a fair chance and if this cigar didn't knock me off my feet I was probably done with Gurkah... well unfortunately ( for my wallet) it did just that, every time I took a puff I finished with a "damn" or "OMG" this thing is great, I was pretty excited to try it because when I got it out of the box it had a great earthy smell, and I can't really put my finger on it but it tasted just like it smelled. Couldn't quite put my finger on the different flavors and not sure if it's just my palate getting more sophisticated but there was a nice variation of different pleasant earthy flavors. Would've done a review but didn't have my camera with me and I couldn't really put a name on the flavors... and I'm sure people like hearing the "it was woody with just a hint of cherry and butter, with grass notes" LOL well not at that level yet, just knew they were good, the burn was decent just needed a few touch ups, never went out after 2 thirds of smokig and being @ 70% in the humi, so this one is definitely going on my "to get a box of list." Looking forward to the rest of the Gurkha line.

P.S. The construction could've been better on this one, but it more than made up for it in flavor.