• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I had to share this cigar misconception.

Interesting. I can see the need, but it seems like an old tradition that can go to the wayside because of advancements in the hobby.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't share puffs with a licker :sign:

An old professor I knew use to do it, he seemed to think it was common knowledge. The most I've done is chew on a cigar for a day at work before lighting it up at night.

I've never heard of this either. But now that i think about it, after I punch the cap, I do moisten the cap area a bit. I don't lick it but I just roll it a bit on the inside of my lips, and it's usually so my lips don't stick to the dry wrapper as I'm smoking it and tear the thing lol.

When I punch a cigar sometimes I do "lick" the cap, but I feel strange in doing so.

I have never seen this happen before, so I guess when I come across it I wont be as shocked. To each his own, but especially with all the easy humidification devices it seems unnecessary. If it cracked so bad and was too dry I would honestly just throw it out unless it was some crazy rare smoke. Guess I have just had good luck with cigars at the right humidity.

It really has nothing to do how you store your cigars and more with the time and place you are going to smoke it.

Take a cigar stored at 70°F/70% Rh outside in 20°F and > 30% Rh weather and try to smoke it. It will explode on you if you don't first moisturize the wrapper. Regardless of how you do it, it just makes perfect sense in some conditions.

Thats not true for me at least and I have done exactly that. If you keep them stored properly you normally shouldn't have a problem. I have smoke 100s of cigars and never had a splitting problem in any temp/humidity enviornment. I have never moistened them either.

Try it with a Pepin JJ or a Ashton San Cristobal... I bet you change your mind. The cigars with thick wrappers you can get away with it most times... but a thin wrapper like the two I mentioned or a good Cameroon... fuhgeddaboudit.

That's an old school Hollywood way of prepping a cigar. I remember they used to do it in the older cartoons, from the 70's and before smoking was so taboo.

I have never seen this happen before, so I guess when I come across it I wont be as shocked. To each his own, but especially with all the easy humidification devices it seems unnecessary. If it cracked so bad and was too dry I would honestly just throw it out unless it was some crazy rare smoke. Guess I have just had good luck with cigars at the right humidity.

It really has nothing to do how you store your cigars and more with the time and place you are going to smoke it.

Take a cigar stored at 70°F/70% Rh outside in 20°F and > 30% Rh weather and try to smoke it. It will explode on you if you don't first moisturize the wrapper. Regardless of how you do it, it just makes perfect sense in some conditions.

Thats not true for me at least and I have done exactly that. If you keep them stored properly you normally shouldn't have a problem. I have smoke 100s of cigars and never had a splitting problem in any temp/humidity enviornment. I have never moistened them either.

Try it with a Pepin JJ or a Ashton San Cristobal... I bet you change your mind. The cigars with thick wrappers you can get away with it most times... but a thin wrapper like the two I mentioned or a good Cameroon... fuhgeddaboudit.

Will do, I certainly don't want a good cigar splitting on me.

Is it bad that all I'm picturing is every single member licking their cigars before they light it up?

Now I can't get the damn image out of my head.

No need to lick (I do, since your own saliva is something you are in contact with 24/7 365 unless you were born without a mouth and then smoking cigars isn't an option and you have way bigger issues to be worried about).

You can run the cigar under a barely opened tap, you can quickly dip it head first in a glass of water or wrap it in a damp paper towel for a min if the thought of your own saliva grosses you out.

Shawn, I will have to try this. Cammies are the only cigars I ever have wrapper splits with. I've always just chalked it up to something you have to accept when smoking one due to the delicate wrapper. I may have a Don Carlos tonight to try this out.

I've seen a few older gents do this actually. Hell, the neighbor we had a long time ago back in 1994-1995 used to do this with like White Owls, Swissers and King Edwards. No joke...I couldn't believe he did it. :laugh: I've licked my finger and have dampen the wrapper sometimes. One thing you learn from cigars that unravel is that saliva will help with the gum arabic or whatever it is and the wrapper will sorta restick back into place. Depending on the quality of the wrapper.

I've never pre-licked (at least the entire stick; I like to taste the end), but any time I have a problem with the wrapper coming undone or splitting I will apply a number of generous licks to the spot to get it to stick back in place. Seems to work pretty well.

I just run them under tap water for a few seconds. Just the cap, and it seems to do the trick to keep the cigar from splitting when I cut it.