• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I made Major!

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
Well guys, I just thought I'd share some good news: the USAF has decided to promote me to Major! Even with the fairly high promotion rate I was sweating this one because I haven't finished my Masters yet- the AF is making a HUGE deal of continuing education. I guess flying bubbas around the sandbox for a year and half of my life still fortunately counts for something. Pin on won't be until sometime in 2011, but knowing it's coming is a huge relief!

So, in the spirit of my rejuvenated career and my topic of study for the aforementioned incomplete degree (Asymmetric Warfare), I'm going to host a contest. The first person to answer these three questions correctly wins a fiver, including my celebratory smoke, a 2001 Ramon Allones 8-9-8, reviewed here. Fastest Google-Fu will probably win, but regardless, here we go:

1. Finish this verse and tell us where it is from: "Oh thus be it ever, when free men shall stand..."

2. Who is Heinie Aderholt and why is he noteworthy (read that: bad@ss)?

3. The lead aircraft in the Son Tay prison raid was an MC-130E Combat Talon. The crew came from which base and squadron?

Thanks to everyone at Cigar Pass for giving me a place to learn so much about this fine hobby. I know I'm not able to participate as much as I'd like, but it's always nice to be welcome around here. You guys are the best.

1. U.S. National Anthem

A- Harry C. Aderholt (born 1920) was an American Brigadier General in the United States Air Force and a prominent figure in air force special operations.

B- His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal with eight oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal, Presidential Unit Citation Emblem, and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon with oak leaf cluster. He is a command pilot and wears the Parachutist Badge.
He was promoted to the grade of brigadier general effective May 31, 1974, with date of rank May 25, 1974.

Base- Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
Squadron - The 8th Special Operations Squadron (A.K.A. Black Birds)

Congrats Major. I haven't said anything to the gang here, but I will share with you that my grandson LURCH just made SSGT with ten years in the Marines. I asked him a little about the process and he said there were only 78 people on the list, He was 76. Then he said the first guy on the list had nine years in grade, and here he was with three years in grade. He is a fine young man and a super representative of the Marines. May you fly high and your yonder be blue.

Congratulations on your promotion. Good luck, for the future, as well.

Floyd T.

1) The Star Spangled banner

Oh! thus be it ever when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation,
Blest with victory and peace, may the Heaven rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto, "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

2)

Brigadier General Harry C. (Heinie) Aderholt is commander, U. S. Military Assistance Command, Thailand, and chief, Joint U. S. Military Advisory Group, Thailand, with headquarters at Bangkok.

General Aderholt left for Okinawa in January 1960 where he became commander of the 1095th Operational Evaluation Training Group. During this assignment, he contributed to the pioneering of special air warfare techniques, and was instrumental in developing the Laos airfield complex known as Lima sites. These fields were used throughout Southeast Asia as support sites for special warfare operations and as "Jolly Green" helicopter forward staging bases for rescue and recovery operations in Laos and North Vietnam.

3)

7th SOS, Det. 2 1st SOW

Congrats on your promotion and thank you for being part of the USA military.

Hey congratulations on the promotion and thank you for your service! :thumbs:

The Star Spangled Banner and the U.S. National Anthem are one in the same, I hope that doesn't disqualify me. ;)

Congrats on the upcoming promotion. :)

The Star Spangled Banner and the U.S. National Anthem are one in the same, I hope that doesn't disqualify me. ;)

You didn't finish the verse, so it doesn't matter. ;) :D

Barry,

Congratulations on the raise in grade and of coarse, the raise in pay. :thumbs:

Congrats Barry....God Bless ya!...and don't stop there, the sky is the limit.

Thanks for all your service and dedication to keep us safe here in the US.

BTW....Now that's Tax dollars well spent!

Congrats on the promotion and thanks for your service.

Congratulations and welcome to the scrambled eggs squad. :thumbs:

Congratulations Major. It's great to hear some good news like this.