• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I need some spanish cedar.

BigFatDog

I have a chest that I want to convert to a humidor for my boxes. It's a "made in India" wooden locker. It looks like mahogany but I'm not sure. It's new, clean free of smell (I've had natural charcoal in it for weeks), but to be safe I want to line it. The cedar at my local Rockler is all weeping (and expensive). I know weeping is natural, but I don't want to pay a premium for wood that I will need to prep before I can work. Has anyone got a good online source?

Edit: box I.D. is 18"x18"x18" approx.

Sorry, I bought from Rockler. Try your phone book under hardwoods.

I don't mind the cost at Rockler...its the extra work.

I found the cost of cedar at my local hardwoods dealer to be a lot less than ordering from Rockler and Woodcraft. I don't have a Rocklers close but do have a Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com) close to me.

As mentioned - search for a hardwoods dealer in your area.

Ron

Wouldn't the boxes themselves be enough cedar for the chest.. Not being a Carpenter I'm not to sure about this next statement, but weeping cedar? I bought some sp. cedar @ woodcrafters 3/8" thick for a cooler and it never never weeped..... My large cabinet doesn't weep. I weep every now and again when I total up what this is costing me. :(

Frank

In many cases the boxes would be enough. I do not want to take the chance that the new box might contaminate my stock. I don't know what was used in the manufacturing process...I have control issues. I want to install a barrier.

Spanish cedar is a very resinous wood. If it is overheated (after being dried), for example, the resin comes to the surface. The stock at my Rockler's was mishandled.