• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I thought Cubans were

MMT

I'm new to cigar smoking, and one thing I have never been clear of is if Cubans are legal in the US.... or are just certain kinds of cubans illegal? Also, what makes them illegal in the first place?

I'm new to cigar smoking, and one thing I have never been clear of is if Cubans are legal in the US.... or are just certain kinds of cubans illegal? Also, what makes them illegal in the first place?

They're illegal because they have weed in them.

and pubes. But hey, they were rolled on the thighs of...

Just do a google search on "cuban trade embargo" and you'll find all the info you need on the subject. Oh, and to clear up your thoughts on the matter, they ARE illegal. All kinds.

It depends on what their papers say!

But yes, they are illegal due to the embargo.

and pubes. But hey, they were rolled on the thighs of...

Just do a google search on "cuban trade embargo" and you'll find all the info you need on the subject. Oh, and to clear up your thoughts on the matter, they ARE illegal. All kinds.

Well, all kinds made after 1962 when embargo went into effect. The ones made before that are quite scarce and probably cost a pretty penny, but they are perfectly legal to own and smoke.

It depends on what their papers say!

Or whether they've reached US soil before being snagged by Customs and Border Protection.

Corollary - Is it illegal to own or buy fake Cubans? :rolleyes:

Thank you for the info! I heard everything from weed to cocaine in them. I didn't know there was a trade embargo. Nice to know.

Funny you should ask. A local shop in Midland, MI actually put up on their website that they are auctioning off a bunch of cubans during a CF-CF. I bet you are thinking how they got a CF-CF when acting so stupidly, well to explain, the rep didn't even show up and 6 people attended. I am proud to say I haven't been there in 1 1/2 years. You think that is bad, wait till you see the humidor. :rolleyes:

if the Cuban cigars are illegal, can they apply for citizenship? Every other Cuban does!! :whistling: ;)

if the Cuban cigars are illegal, can they apply for citizenship? Every other Cuban does!! :whistling: ;)

I don't know if this particular law is still on the books, but at one time, if you were a Cuban national, all you had to do was set foot on U.S. soil and you were granted political asylum. Hence, the reason so many would risk their lives by piling in rickety boats and attempting to make it to U.S. soil. And if I remember correctly, back when Castro was still alive, in response to that law he emptied out Cuban prisons and mental hospitals some 30 odd years ago and put them in boats and shipped them to Florida.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that! :laugh:

He may still be alive, but his public appearances have sure been scarce the past several years.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that! :laugh:

He may still be alive, but his public appearances have sure been scarce the past several years.

Dozerhead you sneaky SOB!!! How did I missed that?
And don't be killing my uncle before time. :whistling: :laugh:

I recently learned that it's actually illegal for a US citizen to even PURCHASE a Cuban cigar, not just bring it back to the country. Meaning if you're overseas somewhere, it's technically illegal to buy a Cuban and smoke it there.

I recently learned that it's actually illegal for a US citizen to even PURCHASE a Cuban cigar, not just bring it back to the country. Meaning if you're overseas somewhere, it's technically illegal to buy a Cuban and smoke it there.

I think this is correct, however, there's no real way of enforcing it, or at least it isn't really enforced. In any case most reputable cigar shops abroad aren't going to stop you from buying their product. And most touristy/street vendor cigar stores are probably selling counterfeits.

edit: spelling

I think this is correct, however, there's no real way of enforcing it, or at least it isn't really enforced. Most cigar shops abroad aren't going to stop you from buying their product. And most touristy/street vendor cigar stores are probably selling counterfeit.

THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA HAS AN EMBARGO ON CUBA!

It's easy enough for a fifth grader to understand...now go find me a fifth grader!

or...search this site!