• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I was not a fan when I heard this

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
but I'm not surprised the Corps made it work or at least said it worked. You can not put people in that shape at that age under that stress without something happening and that something takes away from learning to be a unit at a time when that is what needs to be the prime priority. I don't care what the Army or Air Force or Navy does. They do not do what we do.

First Marine Co-Ed Boot Camp Company Graduates at Parris Island

Well let me guess..... They’ll do everything as a unit except they will have shower and head shifts.
It was a new thing when I went in, and I could tell the drill instructors weren’t happy about the “crack troops” as they called it. I’m all for women in the military, and there are several that I would’ve rather gone to battle with then some of the men I encountered in the Marine Corps. However, I still think basic training should not be mixed. Neither side needs that distraction during those 3 months of their lives. How long before we hear about two recruits getting caught having sex in the shower is at 1 AM when they’re supposed to be on the guard duty.

A little over 22 years ago I went through MP Basic, it was co-ed, so what....

We had our issues, so what
We had our instructors make bad decisions, so what

It is a co-ed world now, just a fact of life. If a group of mix sexed soldiers (all branches) can't make it through 3 months of training, how are they going to make it through a deployment?

At some point there has to be a shift from making the system wrong, to holding individuals accountable for their actions.

If 2 recruits get caught having sex on guard duty....then why is that the fault of the Marine Corp, and not on those 2 individuals?

Just my 2 is all. And might be biased from a 20 year long career in a very co-ed occupation in the Army.

Either way, I value your opinion and thoughts.

T

My OCC (Officer Candidate Course for college grads and prior enlisted Marines) was co-ed and quite a few could not keep themselves in check. Even more so in the OCS classes. I have my doubts that 17-19yo recruits would do much better. I know it was always on my mind when I was in boot camp.

Reactions: MX
That’s all I’m saying. Keep em separate in basic and then throw them in the same pot. Too many goofy kids coming out of high school in need of that time to focus. For me, the person that went into boot camp and the one that came out were two different people. I could totally see the week two me trying to get friendly with a female recruit.

One of WWII's best snipers was a Russian woman. She had, I believe, 54 confirmed kills before the Nazis finally got her. She, of course, was highly decorated.
Just saying.
Doc

One of WWII's best snipers was a Russian woman. She had, I believe, 54 confirmed kills before the Nazis finally got her. She, of course, was highly decorated.
Just saying.
Doc
Snipers are not "unit" trained beyond the basics. Not a good example for or against co-ed bootcamp.

"crack troops" is a good example of why it needs to be co-ed.
Now I'm not the most PC guy you're gonna meet but until you put on that uniform you really won't understand no matter how close you think you may have come - you didn't.

It's better to identify anyone lacking real self control in boot camp rather than over seas (or anywhere else) . I get it, everybody is on edge during those few months. Many of those ladies are bad ass and they deserve to gain the respect of making it through a basic that was originally designed for men.

WAY too many women in the military are harassed, sexually assaulted or raped by men who are supposed to have their six. Co-ed boot done right could go a long way toward changing that.

My students just finished a debate unit & one of my campuses was arguing against women in combat roles because "they couldn't carry a wounded comrade to safety." While he was talking I threw this up on my Adobe Connect share screen:

Screen-Shot-2015-08-19-at-4.55.47-PM-e1440029005661.png

I'm a terrible, mean teacher, I know, I know. :p

~Boar

WAY too many women in the military are harassed, sexually assaulted or raped by men who are supposed to have their six. Co-ed boot done right could go a long way toward changing that.

My students just finished a debate unit & one of my campuses was arguing against women in combat roles because "they couldn't carry a wounded comrade to safety." While he was talking I threw this up on my Adobe Connect share screen:

View attachment 25823

I'm a terrible, mean teacher, I know, I know. :p

~Boar
The exception does not prove the rule. I know female Marines that can and I know far more that couldn't heft my 225lbs. Hell there were some guys that couldn't either but more could. Just a fact of life. I had women in my Intel section and they were great at their job but load them up with 105lbs of gear and hit the road and they just weren't the same physically. Are there women that could sure, but they aren't the norm.

However, none of that has anything to do with co-ed Marine boot camp. Ask your son.

Now I'm not the most PC guy you're gonna meet but until you put on that uniform you really won't understand no matter how close you think you may have come - you didn't.
And that's the truth.

Doc

Wait. I think we may be mixing the definition of Co-ed. When in Basic we had females in companies adjacent us. We could see them in the chow line, And church. But they did not sleep, train, March or come in direct contact with us. So the ideal of a Co-ed force is a crock. They are not showering and bedding down with male troops. Its a play on words.

When I was in basic, we had females in our CO, PLT, SQD, and team.
We showers and slept in separate barracks, but went to the field, ranges and trained together....this was 1997

When I was in basic, we had females in our CO, PLT, SQD, and team.
We showers and slept in separate barracks, but went to the field, ranges and trained together....this was 1997

Again, that wasn't the Corps