• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I will never help anyone move again...

Nice_Ashh

Friday evening a good friend of mine calls me and asks if I can help move a tv. Sure I say, no problem. So I run over to his house, and the tv turns into a dresser, an entertainment stand, a couch...you get the idea.

I woke up Saturday morning a bit stiff, but nothing out of the ordinary. I went about my business, picked up my daughters, went out with them and had a good day. On the way home, I stop to get a few things from the grocery store. Upon arriving home, I decide I can carry all the groceries and my girls overnight bag all in one trip (basically I didn't want to walk back to the car). After about 30 minutes I start to feel a bit of pain in my lower back...another 30 minutes pass and I can barely stand up. It became so unbearable I made my way to the ER while my daughters were at my niece's birthday party. The Doc there tells me it is just a pulled muscle and gave me some meds (basically glorified Motrin) and sent me on my way.

Monday rolls around and it continues to worsen. I go to my family doc, and he orders the dreaded MRI. Low and behold I have a herniated disk...wonderful. He doesn't believe it will require surgery at this point, but he wants to do another MRI in two weeks thinking the swelling will have gone down and he can get a better picture.

Anyone have any experience with herniated disks? What is the best way to alleviate or at least lessen the pain? A cold pack seems to work the best so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Morphine. Seriously though, Ice is best plus the anti-inflammatory drugs your MD provided. Asking medical advice on a cigar board probably isn't the smartest thing you could do.

Doc.

Sorry to hear of your pain. I have learned I am never going to move again because then I don't owe anyone. A buddy of mine and like 5 other people helped me move. When it came time for him to move, I was the only one, and I remember it being a warm Texas day.

I usually go the other route - a heating pad and liberal use of bourbon. But I'm not a doctor. Never had to have surgery, but every so often, it'll go out.

Come to the cabin.....after we unload and split firewood, we can clean up the yard for the spring and then go fishing :D

Seriously bro, take care of yourself so you can come to cabin for a spring HERF

Try not to rest in the sitting position, it's one of the most stressful positions for the skeletal structure, try to lay down on a suportive area, say no to the couch.

I'm no doctor, but I've had plenty of back injuries from playing football, sometimes ice helped, sometimes heat helped. Definately take anti-inflamatory drugs and try to relieve the stress on that disc by cutting down on the swelling. You're not going to escape this like a normal back pain though, just expect to have surgery in the near future, and lift with your legs/do more crunches in the distant future. ;)

Morphine. Seriously though, Ice is best plus the anti-inflammatory drugs your MD provided. Asking medical advice on a cigar board probably isn't the smartest thing you could do.
Doc.

I was more wondering just on the use of heat vs. ice for those that have had experience. I have seen three doctors since Saturday and each one had a different suggestion. One said all heat, one said alternate between heat and ice, the other said all ice. Just wondering what combination may have worked for others as it seems each Dr. has a difference of opinion as well.

Come to the cabin.....after we unload and split firewood, we can clean up the yard for the spring and then go fishing :D

Seriously bro, take care of yourself so you can come to cabin for a spring HERF

What, no rock climbing or rappelling? :D

Doc.

I was more wondering just on the use of heat vs. ice for those that have had experience. I have seen three doctors since Saturday and each one had a different suggestion. One said all heat, one said alternate between heat and ice, the other said all ice. Just wondering what combination may have worked for others as it seems each Dr. has a difference of opinion as well.

Ice is the best way to go within the first 24 hours or so, this will help reduce the swelling & inflammation. If you put heat on an area that is already inflammed, you're just gonna make it worse. I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you a script for Physical Therapy. Good luck, I hope you don't need surgery.

Go to a Chiropractor. If he/she cannot help you, he will be honest with you and if that's the case (very unlikely with what you describe as the cause), you are in big trouble.

Brian

I'm no doctor and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I do know your pain. I crashed into the boards head-first playing hockey two years ago. Herniated a disk in my neck. The doctor said ice, no heat. So I had to ice it every day and then do an hour of traction. What a terrible experience.

Good luck with everything. Hope you feel better real soon.

Eric

Go to a Chiropractor. If he/she cannot help you, he will be honest with you and if that's the case (very unlikely with what you describe as the cause), you are in big trouble.

Brian
I've had two chiropractors in my life. One was a thief.

Doc.

Doc.

:sign:

History will repeat itself.
----------------------------

Good luck with the back, Ashh!

Brian
I've had two chiropractors in my life. One was a thief.

Doc.
and your point is ? ???

Brian
You seem to imply all chiropractors are honest. In my experience, they are not.

Doc.
Nope, not implying anything of the sorts. I can't vouch for the honesty of any doctor or chiropractor. I would however, trust my health with a chiropractor before a doctor who has the knife at the ready.

Each to his own.

Brian

I could never find anything that helped with the pain other than lying flat on the floor or just standing. Mine was the very last disk before the tail bone. I eventually had to have surgery to remove almost half of the disk. I would not recommend it unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I've since had another disk further up go. I waited it out and it eventually fixed itself. The 8 months of pain was really bad, but not nearly as bad as the 3 months after the surgery.

My back problems are the result of a motorcycle crash. After that crash and injury my back has never been (and never will be) the same. The nature of your problem is obviously different, but a lot of times disks will fix themselves if the injury is not too severe and if you can deal with the pain long enough to let them.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, I'm no doctor so you probably shouldn't listen to me over your doctor.

Soryy to hear Brian. Get and feel better.

Nice_Ashh, it'd really help me out if you would help me move my TV tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!