• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

iDay

Andrew, any inside info knowing if T-mobile will get an iPhone deal in the next year, or is this strictly AT&T only? Wonder if this thing can be unlocked to work on other GSM networks.

Strictly AT&T, sadly. Hackers are working on busting it open, though.

Jeepers, AT&T must have made Mr. Jobs an offer he or Apple couldn't refuse.
btw...looks like they already got the file system hacked...http://digg.com/apple/iPhone_Hackers_we_ha..._the_filesystem

No, they haven't hacked it yet... we're one of the people trying. Trust me on this one... ;)

Yes, people have succeeded in certain aspects of it, but nothing to completely bust it open.

Java of JavaScript? There's no Java implementation on the iPhone to my knowledge...
Correct

I'm a little late to this party but I just picked up a new Mogul PPC 6800. I especially like that I can actually look at and edit Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and PP presentations on this phone. I looked at an iphone but the fact that it was not as useful for business as the Mogul swayed my decision. I've only had it a few days so I'm still "testing" but so far its been pretty sweet. I do give the iphone props..... it was a pretty slick package and very user friendly for what it does. It definently was not targeted for business.

Soccer moms are going to love it. :D hehe

Java of JavaScript? There's no Java implementation on the iPhone to my knowledge...
Correct

I'm a little late to this party but I just picked up a new Mogul PPC 6800. I especially like that I can actually look at and edit Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and PP presentations on this phone. I looked at an iphone but the fact that it was not as useful for business as the Mogul swayed my decision. I've only had it a few days so I'm still "testing" but so far its been pretty sweet. I do give the iphone props..... it was a pretty slick package and very user friendly for what it does. It definently was not targeted for business.

Soccer moms are going to love it. :D hehe

Who the hell edits PowerPoint presentations on a cell phone? You're a sick man...

And here I thought the Soccer mom comment would get a crack out of you. :cool:

Isn't deleting a PP file considered editing? :sign:

Andrew,

Can I port my existing number from Sprint to the iPhone?

USA Today reports that early iPhone adopters are overwhelmingly happy with their iPhones.

In one of the first such studies, 90% of 200 owners said they were "extremely" or "very" satisfied with their phone. And 85% said they are "extremely" or "very" likely to recommend the device to others, says the online survey conducted and paid for by market researcher Interpret of Santa Monica, Calif. The firm surveyed 1,000 cellphone users July 6-10.

Of course, early adopters are a special population and may not reflect the satisfaction of later consumers as a whole. Some other interesting statistics that came from the studies are included:

• 51% of buyers were switching to AT&T from another carrier
• 35% of carrier switchers paid an early termination fee (avg $167) to switch
• 3 of 10 were first-time Apple customers.
• for 4 of 10, the iPhone was their first iPod
• New iPhone owners expected to pay about $35 more a month than their previous cellphone.

That's pretty amazing that 51% of the buyers were switching carriers just to use the phone (and the termination fees mentioned too).

My son and I visited our local Apple store yesterday and I finally got my hands on the iPhone. They had a bunch of demo units available for testing. The phones were fully functional, we browsed the web and even made a local call.

The phones were set to use the Apple store's wifi, but we turned it off and used Edge just to see how slow it would be....My son has watched so many of the "how to" videos, that he actually had a small crowd around him as other people watched him navigate through the phones UI. He just picked it up and started using it like he'd had one for months.

So yeah, it's pretty cool. Cool enough to pay $600 and switch to AT&T? Not for me....

My first impression of the phone (it's very iPod-like in form and feel)....I'll probably draw flames for this, but the very first thing I thought of when I picked up was..."It's a girls phone!". It's slim, colorful, glassy with shiny chrome finish on the back....Paris Hilton would be the perfect spokesperson for this gadget. The second thing I thought of was "I'd put this in my back pocket of my favorite jeans, forget about and sit down on it....cracking it right in half, I'm sure"...possibly more a statement of my carelessness (and fat a$$) than the phone design, but it's just doesn't look very tough.

We each played for a couple of minutes. I used Safari (wifi) to browse to Google and of course, CigarPass. Safari crashed twice in under 3 minutes....Kind of surprising for an Apple product. Although it happens often, it always amuses me that I can pick up almost any product and break it in less than 90 seconds by using it normally. While I was commenting on how unstable Safari was, my son's iPhone Safari crashed...we both laughed. Hey, it's crappy!

We turned off wifi and used the web with Edge. It was slow, but usuable. I don't surf that much on my phone, so I'm not sure how much I care about this.

We watched a short video (movie trailer)...very cool. Really nice in landscape mode. Very watchable, even with my old eyes.

We played a song through the speakers. Even in the store, it sounded ok.

We poked all around, flipping the phone on it's side and back upright...watching the screen tilt over. We used the keyboard and resized pictures by pinching.

Ok, so it's pretty slick but.....I paid about $300 to combine my Palm and my phone into a Treo 700p. If I could combine my iPod and my phone together that might be worth something. Not $600 though. Plus I've got a 30G iPod and it's almost full. If the iPhone had a built-in 100G iPod, Safari was less buggy, was unlocked (no AT&T service for me, thank you), had a user changeable battery and cost $400 it would be a lot more attractive.

Besides, catching a glimpse of myself in reflection with an iPhone up to my ear...let's just say "manly" was not the first word that came to mind.....

If the iPhone had a built-in 100G iPod, Safari was less buggy, was unlocked (no AT&T service for me, thank you), had a user changeable battery and cost $400 it would be a lot more attractive.

wow...i guess if youre gonna dream, dream big right?

If the iPhone had a built-in 100G iPod, Safari was less buggy, was unlocked (no AT&T service for me, thank you), had a user changeable battery and cost $400 it would be a lot more attractive.

wow...i guess if youre gonna dream, dream big right?

Give it 3-4 years, ya never know ;)

I doubt they'll do the user-replaceable battery though.