• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

iDay

I have the greatest phone ever! It, get this, makes phone calls! Extra features include text messaging, speaker phone (my only real requirement in a phone) and a battery life of weeks! (no exaggerating)

I'm a gadget guy as much as the next, but I just want a phone that'll make calls. :)

I'd suggest trying an iPhone for yourself before you decide -- it makes an excellent phone.

I have the greatest phone ever! It, get this, makes phone calls! Extra features include text messaging, speaker phone (my only real requirement in a phone) and a battery life of weeks! (no exaggerating)

I'm a gadget guy as much as the next, but I just want a phone that'll make calls. :)

I'd suggest trying an iPhone for yourself before you decide -- it makes an excellent phone.
Maybe JH will give it a swing, but at $600 versus $0, for me it falls into the category of NF way.

Wilkey

Not for $600. I'd love to have one eventually, though. Maybe when they're more like $200-$300 and have GPS.

I was reading engaget again, and some ppl tore an iPhone down, the components were worth about $250, I personally would love to have an iPhone, it just looks and does some sweet stuff....but I will never pay $600.00 for a phone (especially on AT&T network), in a year or 2 the 3rd-4th generation will be out and will probably be less expensive...till then, I have a nice samsung ultra thin and light phone...works great and actually makes and receives calls!

I picked one up on launch day and love it. Moki has hit on all the major points but I'll reiterate what he said: try one before you knock it. I have yet to hear a bad review (other than minor issues that can be fixed through a software update and complaints about there being no GPS or 3G). Overall, people who actually used the phone love it.

Is $600 expensive for a phone? Sure. But I'd argue that $50,000 is expensive for a car too, because I can get a good car for less than $20,000. Problem is, it won't have the power, handling, design, etc. of the $50,000 car.

Kia vs. BMW. No different than a cheap Nokia vs. iPhone.

With respect to AT&T, I've been a customer of theirs for over a year and have never had a dropped call and have service everywhere I have travelled. They are no worse than any other mobile carrier IMO. I get reception places where T-Mobile showed no service and I'm sure T-Mobile may have reception places where AT&T may not.

No luck with a workaround to the business account. So tomorrow I'm transferring my number to a personal account, so I'll finally be able to at least start activating my iphone since i bought it friday night. Hopefully my activation will go straight through, and i won't be one of those going on 48 hours of activation.

No luck with a workaround to the business account. So tomorrow I'm transferring my number to a personal account, so I'll finally be able to at least start activating my iphone since i bought it friday night. Hopefully my activation will go straight through, and i won't be one of those going on 48 hours of activation.

Weird. Brad picked up an iPhone today from me, and activated it... he was making phone calls 5 minutes later.

I picked one up on launch day and love it. Moki has hit on all the major points but I'll reiterate what he said: try one before you knock it. I have yet to hear a bad review (other than minor issues that can be fixed through a software update and complaints about there being no GPS or 3G). Overall, people who actually used the phone love it.

Is $600 expensive for a phone? Sure. But I'd argue that $50,000 is expensive for a car too, because I can get a good car for less than $20,000. Problem is, it won't have the power, handling, design, etc. of the $50,000 car.

Kia vs. BMW. No different than a cheap Nokia vs. iPhone.

With respect to AT&T, I've been a customer of theirs for over a year and have never had a dropped call and have service everywhere I have travelled. They are no worse than any other mobile carrier IMO. I get reception places where T-Mobile showed no service and I'm sure T-Mobile may have reception places where AT&T may not.

This is probably the greatest gadget to come out lately. The web browser is amazing. E-mail, Text. Voicemail, maps, google maps... amazing.

two tings I don't understand but will probably be fixed by Apple in some upcoming software updates... Some Java doesn't load onto the web page... Moki, any idea about this ?

Second... can't send pics in text... not a big deal since I am not a teenage kid taking pics of my friends and e-mailing them.

I was on the fence about this but decided it was worth it after playing with it in the store. If you havent held one in your hands and tried it, ya can't really comment about it..

two tings I don't understand but will probably be fixed by Apple in some upcoming software updates... Some Java doesn't load onto the web page... Moki, any idea about this ?

Java of JavaScript? There's no Java implementation on the iPhone to my knowledge... nor does it suppose Flash in the browser either. I expect both to be addressed at some point, it's just software.

Second... can't send pics in text... not a big deal since I am not a teenage kid taking pics of my friends and e-mailing them.

Do you mean you can't email pictures? Sure you can.... tap on a picture, then click on the little Send icon in the lower left, and then tap "Send in Email" and away you go.

I was on the fence about this but decided it was worth it after playing with it in the store. If you havent held one in your hands and tried it, ya can't really comment about it..

That's been my experience as well.

I remember as a kid growing up in the 80s that the world got along just fine without cell phones/palm PCs. :whistling:

Dating myself, growing up in the 50s, I remember black and white TV, if you could afford it, and the black dial phones hard wired to the wall. Now those were the days when you could go for a walk at night and not get found. Do you remember the joy of writing a letter, stamping it, and going to the mail box to mail it. Then you would wait, wait, wait for a reply. Hence the phrase from the song, Please Mr. Postman D-liver D-letter D-sooner D-better. Memories.

I remember as a kid growing up in the 80s that the world got along just fine without cell phones/palm PCs. :whistling:

Dating myself, growing up in the 50s, I remember black and white TV, if you could afford it, and the black dial phones hard wired to the wall. Now those were the days when you could go for a walk at night and not get found. Do you remember the joy of writing a letter, stamping it, and going to the mail box to mail it. Then you would wait, wait, wait for a reply. Hence the phrase from the song, Please Mr. Postman D-liver D-letter D-sooner D-better. Memories.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I miss the days of not being available 24/7 technology does have its place. Still I like the two cans and some string of my youth. I doubt I would buy an iPhone, not because I can't appreciate the technology, but because I own two iPods and a Crackberry to boot.

I was reading engaget again, and some ppl tore an iPhone down, the components were worth about $250

if thats your excuse, then dont ever rip a high dollar cigar apart and figure out its worth either. :whistling:

I was reading engaget again, and some ppl tore an iPhone down, the components were worth about $250

if thats your excuse, then dont ever rip a high dollar cigar apart and figure out its worth either. :whistling:

heh -- good point. The $250 is the price of the components... that's not how much is costs Apple to make the iPhone, there's assembly, shipping, etc.., not to mention 5 years of R&D to pay for. :)

That's why I don't cringe at the $600 price tag. If I'll pay $600 for a box of fine cigars that I happen to love, paying the same for a device I'll actually find useful day in and day out seems like a pretty easy decision. :)

I miss the days of not being available 24/7 technology does have its place. Still I like the two cans and some string of my youth. I doubt I would buy an iPhone, not because I can't appreciate the technology, but because I own two iPods and a Crackberry to boot.

tone-ny, you of all people should go try an iPhone. I know you're scared to... cuz you're too weak to resist if you play with it hands on... muhahahahah :)

tone-ny, you of all people should go try an iPhone. I know you're scared to... cuz you're too weak to resist if you play with it hands on... muhahahahah :)

I got too much crap as it stands, I have to keep a pager for work because they can't send alerts via my Blackberry. Talk about old school technology. I didn't want a Nextel so I gave up my phone and PDA for the Blackberry. My job will not let the IPhone interface with our e-mail accounts because of the security issue so I don't want to go back to having three communication devices.

I'll probably end up with one after we get to the second generation. Does anyone remember how to use an abacus? I remember when I was a young pup I had a calculator similar to this:

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/addfeet_junior.html

I wish I still had mine, I do still own several slide rules :laugh:

heh -- good point. The $250 is the price of the components... that's not how much is costs Apple to make the iPhone, there's assembly, shipping, etc.., not to mention 5 years of R&D to pay for. :)

That's why I don't cringe at the $600 price tag. If I'll pay $600 for a box of fine cigars that I happen to love, paying the same for a device I'll actually find useful day in and day out seems like a pretty easy decision. :)

no excuse, and not complaining ..and i understand the costs of r&d and marketing and all that crap. apple, like any other company deserves to turn profits. i would bet when all is said and done, they are not making as much as one would think on each unit sold. it is still a cool phone and there is certainly a huge buzz over the phone and apple...like when the ipod was first introduced.
rob

Interesting thread...it appears there are more pros then cons withe reference to the phone.
As for the network, there are more cons then pros. I'm amazed, I had this notion that the
amalgamation of Cingular and AT&T would be far better than Verizon...not in my experience.

When I'm home I don't go out much so no problem :laugh: However, when I'm traveling in my motor home,
we go to many places where even Verizon has a problem but these are getting less and less. I'm finding a lot
more "shared network", which make no difference to me when I'm making a call. Ironically, there are some
places that don't have Verizon coverage so I carry a "Pay as you Go" Cingular phone.

I love technology and I'm usually first in line for gadgets but I don't see any benefit in switching carriers. I guess
I will wait until something inspiring happens, like perhaps, good coverage, anywhere and everywhere.

Brian

Finally I got my phone working! I'm using it right now to type this. It was worth it. It is way better than i thought.

Went in to the AT&T store today to give a test drive...I want one. Only drawback is the much slower Edge network in comparison to the 3G on my phone, but I can live with it. Anyone want to buy my Cingular 8525?