• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If my humidor is improperly seasoned, will it still hold RH?

Danforz

Hello all. I seasoned my antiem by running the inside down with distiller water and letting it sit overnight. This was done some time ago and my humidor holds humidity well.

Today, I picked a stick from the bottom of my humidor to smoke. The moment I lit it it burned fast and lacks in flavor. I've noticed that, sometimes, my cigars seem light in flavor and burn strange.

My humidity is holding fine, but is it possible that the cedar needs reseasoning? For a week?

If so, how do you guys recommend I store my 200 cigars while it seasons? Coolidor?

If your humidor is holding a constant RH... what is it holding? If it's holding a constant RH....why do you think it's not properly seasoned...??

Also what type of hygrometer and humidifier do you have ?

How big is the humidor? Is it possible where you take your reading and the"bottom" of the humidor where you got the cigar from have a wide variation in RH?

I suggest sending your stock to me for proper smoking/inspection while you get this seasoning straightened out.

All kidding aside, could it be that your sticks that are burning fast were overly humidified before, and are proper now, and you didn't realize it?  As for temp storage, I would recommend an nice tuppador or two.  Inexpensive, nice to have around for overflow or certain occasions as this.  Toss in a boveda pack and let it ride.  Easy.

BlindedByScience said:
If your humidor is holding a constant RH... what is it holding? If it's holding a constant RH....why do you think it's not properly seasoned...??

1) I have 3 hygrometers which I personally calibrated. Two are +2% and one is dead on. The dead on one reads 67% and is in the center. The two that are 2% high usually read 70%. These hygrometers are located throughout the humidor, bottom, middle, and top. 

2) That is my question. Will an improperly seasoned humidor hold humidity? Could it be the ceder is still sucking my cigars dry while the ambient humidity is high? 

My concern is that I've heard people taking up to 2 weeks to season their humidor. I did overnight and have had some flavor and burn issues with a few sticks. 
Tall Paul said:
Also what type of hygrometer and humidifier do you have ?

One is a all weather hygrometer purchased from radio shack and the other a digital hygromter with a calibration knob I got from Heartfelt Industries. Each has been tested with Boveda pack. 

Humidity consists of 1lb of beads, 2/3 of it at the bottom and the rest towards the top (where there are less cigars).
jfields said:
How big is the humidor? Is it possible where you take your reading and the"bottom" of the humidor where you got the cigar from have a wide variation in RH?

The humidor is an Antiem. Humidity readings are within normal limits throughout. According to the hygrometers, all is well. The cigars don't feel particularly dry either. Its how they smoke. Poor burns and flavor issues. HOWEVER, this may just be due to my pallet and smoking style. Trying to figure this all out.
{tpc} said:
I suggest sending your stock to me for proper smoking/inspection while you get this seasoning straightened out.

All kidding aside, could it be that your sticks that are burning fast were overly humidified before, and are proper now, and you didn't realize it?  As for temp storage, I would recommend an nice tuppador or two.  Inexpensive, nice to have around for overflow or certain occasions as this.  Toss in a boveda pack and let it ride.  Easy.

Lol. I've posted this question on three forums, each has made that comment ;)

If all three hygrometers are calibrated and you are maintaining humidity, everything should be fine.  Are your beads holding up fine or do you feel they need to be recharged more often than usual?  The question would then fall onto your sticks.  How were they stored before? How long have they been in the new humidor?  Did you maintain proper storage to begin with?  

Joebiech said:
If all three hygrometers are calibrated and you are maintaining humidity, everything should be fine.  Are your beads holding up fine or do you feel they need to be recharged more often than usual?  The question would then fall onto your sticks.  How were they stored before? How long have they been in the new humidor?  Did you maintain proper storage to begin with?  

The beads are over saturated, if anything. As for prior storage of the sticks, hard to tell. Some from cBid, some from BOTL. Yes, I maintain proper storage to begin with. I'm beginning to wonder if its an issue with my pallet and not my humidor :\

If your humidor has been seasoned for quite some time and your humidity is within tolerances, your lack of a slow initial seasoning to begin with is a non issue. Everything should be working together by now.  Maybe get some small circulation fans to more evenly humidify.  

Maybe it's the way you are smoking the cigar. Try slowing down and when the burn starts to get off track roll the cigar from time to time.

It is not uncommon to see humidity differences in a humidor or temperature variations for that matter. The bigger the humidor the more likely there will be variations. If your humidor has multiple shelves or drawers you should have fans to help circulate the air. When I overflow my Cabinet and need to move some of the inventory to a cooler for example, I use a couple of Oust fans. They cycle on periodically and don't build up a lot of heat. 

The more often you open your humidor the less stable the air in it.

Don't forget that if you place a cigar in your humidor that has not been properly stored (too wet/ too dry), the flavor profile has probably already been altered and nothing you do will restore it to original.

Hope this helps. Doug

So many guys are frankly just too anal about humidity.  Round up a hundred old school cigar smokers with tens of years of knowledge each.  Ask them for their preferred humidity.  You'll get answers from 55% to 75%.  I used to worry about a point or two but the honest truth is that it just doesn't matter.  Some guys say they can taste the difference in a point or two and I call bull shit on that.  It's nonsense.  

My cabinet is a tall, vertical cabinet and there's about a two point delta between the bottom and top.  My smokes are perfect.  If your sticks are light in flavor and burn strange, maybe you should look at your sticks, or has been suggested, your smoking technique.  My storage is a nice Staebell cabinet, but between summer and winter it starts 65-ish and drifts up to the 70-ish range over the summer.  With the delta from top to bottom.  Guess what....my sticks are perfect.

This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby.  Quit freaking out about a couple points or RH and start enjoying your smokes.  

As they say, one man's opinion.....B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
So many guys are frankly just too anal about humidity.  Round up a hundred old school cigar smokers with tens of years of knowledge each.  Ask them for their preferred humidity.  You'll get answers from 55% to 75%.  I used to worry about a point or two but the honest truth is that it just doesn't matter.  Some guys say they can taste the difference in a point or two and I call bull shit on that.  It's nonsense.  

Oh so true.

When I first started in cigars about 12-15 years ago, I was extremely anal about the humidity.  I felt that if it wasn't 65-70 then I was ruining my cigars.  Now I've been educated over 15 years by this site, and others, and of course my own experiences.....and I've learned.....it's not that big of a deal.  Take care of them, check them routinely for issues, but don't stress about the humidity.

Actually, Tom, I keep my cigars at a very strict 65.875%.  Any variation and I simply can't smoke it.  :D

Tom's right - do your best, and let them be.  Here's what you need to look for:

1. If you squeeze the foot of the cigar and it is brittle and begins to immediately crack, your RH is too low.
  2. If you see mold and your cigars are really squishy, your RH is too high.
  3. If you squeeze the foot of your cigar and it has some give but not too much, your cigars are perfectly humidified. 
Regardless of what your RH is set to, temperature plays a role as well.  Plus, seasons change, and your home temperature fluctuates as well.  My house stays between 68F-78F all year long.  

As long as they're not cracking or growing mold, you're within an acceptable range. 

Rod said:
Actually, Tom, I keep my cigars at a very strict 65.875%.  Any variation and I simply can't smoke it.   :D

Rod, I can't tell you how disappointing that statement is.  All this time I thought you were a man of wisdom.  We all know that the PROPER humidity for sticks is 65.473021 %.  On Tuesdays....... :p  

BlindedByScience said:
Actually, Tom, I keep my cigars at a very strict 65.875%.  Any variation and I simply can't smoke it.   :D

Rod, I can't tell you how disappointing that statement is.  All this time I thought you were a man of wisdom.  We all know that the PROPER humidity for sticks is 65.473021 %.  On Tuesdays....... :p  
Pfffft! Amateurs!

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. However my inquiry is not related to the rh and any anal shortcoming there of. Instead, I am curious if a poorly seasoned humidor will hold rh or is it sucking my cigars dry even if ambient rh is fine. This in lieu if difficulty tasting certain cigars at the bottom.

Danforz said:
Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. However my inquiry is not related to the rh and any anal shortcoming there of. Instead, I am curious if a poorly seasoned humidor will hold rh or is it sucking my cigars dry even if ambient rh is fine. This in lieu if difficulty tasting certain cigars at the bottom.

You are making this way, way more complicated than it really is.  

'Seasoned' means nothing more than a humidor that's been saturated with enough humidity to hold a steady elevated humidity.  If the humidor is holding RH, it is properly seasoned and can't be 'sucking' your cigars dry.

As far as "....This in lieu if difficulty tasting certain cigars at the bottom......".....I'm not sure what to tell you.  My cabinet is about the size of a phone booth, and bottom, middle or top, the sticks are fine despite a 2 point delta in RH from top to bottom.

You could try storing your sticks in a cooler or tupperware to see if the problem goes away.

BlindedByScience said:

You are making this way, way more complicated than it really is.  

'Seasoned' means nothing more than a humidor that's been saturated with enough humidity to hold a steady elevated humidity.  If the humidor is holding RH, it is properly seasoned and can't be 'sucking' your cigars dry.

As far as "....This in lieu if difficulty tasting certain cigars at the bottom......".....I'm not sure what to tell you.  My cabinet is about the size of a phone booth, and bottom, middle or top, the sticks are fine despite a 2 point delta in RH from top to bottom.

You could try storing your sticks in a cooler or tupperware to see if the problem goes away.

Noted, and that contention is very reassuring. I believe the issue is with me, not my cigars. Nonetheless, I've purchased cedar trays to place on the bottom. Hopefully that will help with the dryness, especially since the bottom is my long term storage. 

Can you post a picture of your setup? Just curious to see how you have it laid out.