• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If the cigar tax is enacted

IF this goes through, hopefully the quality of habanos won't suffer, with the increase of demand.

1. Purchase a larger humi
2 Purchase a large quanity of sticks

Mexico is only 1.5 hours south
I go there quite often. U usually bring back a few in my travel humi

I emailed my "elected" officials but the only ones we have here are Fienstien and Boxer

I am afraid my screams fall on deaf ears

Sad

Well, I have a cigar budget. I'll stick to it and either buy fewer cigars or just "lower" my quality threshold a bit. By that I mean that a box of Don Carlos Robustos will become a box of 8-5-8's since the 8-5-8 will cost about what the DC robustos cost now. It willl be back to green band Fuentes and regular line Padrons. I probably have fifteen years inventory so I'll just ration out the "good" stuff.

I also smoke a lot of bundle cigars so I guess I'll get a marine cooler and make Lew and Tampa Sweethearts happy before the tax gets inacted.

I respect the opinion of those who stomp thier feet and say "I quit, I won't smoke anymore", but you really aren't hurting anyone but yourself.

I figure smokers will smoke, hobbyists may quit, and bandwagon "boom" type folks will come and go no matter what it costs because to be cool is to be cool.

Short answer for me is a major stock up before it goes in to place and then spend the same money as I spend now. Just lower line smokes being bought.

I've been paying a shitload for cigars for years, so I dunno. I'm taking a "Wait and See" attitude for now.

This got me to thinking. I swore I'd quit smoking cigs when they hit a dollar a pack. I didn't quit till they hit $4. a pk., and that wasn't the reason why.

Doc.

IF this comes to pass, I will stock up heavily before it takes affect. And then buy from elsewhere after it does.

What's funny ironic is that if this passes is that this will invariably destroy small business owners and their employees in America. Consumers will take a temporary dent until we are supplied through the overseas through one of the obvious loopholes (buying boxes directly from manufacturer in the DR?).

Either way, I know many people are worried. I'm not that worried. I strongly believe in the US government's failure to really do anything, which in our case right here, would be good. The government gets by because it actually does nothing but fools the public into thinking it does something (much like I fool my employer to believe I'm a hard worker when I'm on CP all day long).

Now, let's hear a cheer for legislative (and corporate) bureaucracy!

EDITED: removed funny for ironic because it's actually really sad.

Probably buy cigars from the UK because it'll probably be a lot cheaper than getting them from a domestic store. I can almost see it now... $7 for a Padron 2000...

What do you guys think will happen with online vendors like Don Tuto, or Tabacos de Cordillera?? I don't believe they have any physical presence in the USA or any distributors here. Also, they are not on the OFAC list since they are Costa Rican puros. I hope they are going to be able to help us out with a supply of tasty, and AFFORDABLE smokes.

Do any of you know of any other Central or South American vendors that sell directly?? I'm only talking about NCs, such as Brazil, C.R., Peru, Panama, etc.

So will we have out of the country online vendors w/ Opus/Anejos or Padron accounts?

This is just another example of our government making criminals out of honest citizens.

Doc.

If the tax is enacted, I will be very glad that I have enough cigars to last me for a very long time. New purchases will not be happening in the USA.

I'm moving to Rochester New York. I hear there are plenty cigars up there.

At least we're close enough to Canada to do some shopping there (if that turns out to be cheaper) :thumbs:

If the tax is enacted, I will be very glad that I have enough cigars to last me for a very long time. New purchases will not be happening in the USA.

What Moki said. I have a shitload of cigars STILL from box splits, sales from this site and others. I am very good friends with a great B&M in Buffalo NY (Virgil Ave) and I personally go there as my "fortress of solitude" when I need a break from the stresses and strains of life. I'd help them out by some purchases, though the bulk of my future purchases would be out of the US.

I'm glad I registered independent. My vote will definitely be swayed by what happens in this SCHIP vote.

Fuggin politicians! Wish Zappa could have been president!
Darren

I would probably stock up prior to the enactment of the law and then cut down consumption a bit coupled by a move down market. There are plent of $2-4 cigars I enjoy now and if need be, I'll enjoy them as $5-7 cigars.

Wilkey

If this absurd tax goes into effect, my cigar hobby will be very short lived.

I don't know about any of the business aspects of it all, but I will never buy another cigar or tobacco product. I have enough to last me a few years. When I get through them, I'll be done. I won't try to circumvent the embargo as the consequences of being caught are too great for my comfort. I will also not pay the tax on tobacco any longer. I will exercise what little choice I have in the matter and not pay any more for someone else's healthcare with even more rapacious taxes on cigars.

I guess I'm stubborn that way, but that's my reply.

I can fully agree with this. Although, unlike LilBastage I don't have a surplus of cigars on hand. However, I'm still working on growing my own tobacco (which I encourage others to do) and with that and my mind, I can have as many cigars as I want to smoke or give away. :D