• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ignore my ignorance….

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
But I’m no mechanic and I have a question. I need to know what this part is, on my son’s 1999 F150. It’s missing a bump stop or plastic piece and makes a noise when he hits a bump. I have no clue, so I’m asking the group.

First pic is the drivers side, where the rattle comes from:

1018971D-37A0-4C83-86CF-12BF64ACDA69.jpeg

Second pic is you can see a piece is missing:

C41A7A97-6DB2-427D-B5B0-6F4DAD122955.jpeg

This pic shows the passenger side and both pieces are there:

E5885D46-065F-4815-A102-C0FA2DE16A7D.jpeg

Any help would be appreciated. No making fun of me, at least to my face. Behind my back is fine 🖕

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Guess we’ll have our first vehicle project together. Needed to show him how to change a tire anyway, we’ll knock both out at the same time.

I had the same situation on my '98 Expedition and just removed the sway bar completely ... food for thought. 🙂

Don't forget to realign the front end afterwards.
Won’t need that for that Anthony. Link pins don’t change anything like ball joints or tie rod ends do.

Also, Brandon, if you have a sawzall with a metal blade, cut that sucker in half between the sway bar and lower control arm. Will make removal of the old so much faster/easier. They don’t come apart that easily since they’ve been on there since 1999. I doubt you have an oxygen/acetylene torch handy, and we don’t want you putting out your other eye! 😉

That front end has been bouncing around for a while, I'm sure it needs alignment. Especially since it's a truck that has been driven like that for a while.

That front end has been bouncing around for a while, I'm sure it needs alignment. Especially since it's a truck that has been driven like that for a while.
Wouldn’t hurt for sure, but I was just saying those link pin bushings being toast, the rattle, or installing new ones wouldn’t affect the alignment in any way. They’re just for the sway bar.

Yeah, I have no idea how long it’s been like this. It had new tires put on, but it only has 95,000 miles on it. We’ll get it fixed and then have the alignment checked.