• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm going to lose 100 lbs.

As part of my Quest, I have been walking and a friend invited me to go hiking on a trail at Charletown State Park and I have reeally gotten interested in Hiking. this naturally leads to wanting to go backpacking. I have been walking The Knobstone Trail a section at a time. I started out one day to walk the longest section of the between New Chapel to Jackson Road Trail Heads. I got caught in a severe thunderstorm and being on top of a tree covered knob while lightning is striking is not a good idea so I called for a rescue about halfway through and have yet to go back to that section.

I decided yesterday to make an attempt at an overnight hike. Here is a post I made on the Hiling Clubs website on Meetup.com. It didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped.

I have been wanting to complete the section of the Knobstone trail between Chapel Hill Trail head and Jackson RD trail head. I started it once but striking lightning and torrential rain intervened.

My original plan was to park at Deam Lake, get a ride to Chapel Hill trail head, walk twelve miles yesterday and then six this morning.

I got a late start so I decided to begin at Leota Trail head, camp near or just past the New Chapel Trail Head and walk twelve miles today to Jackson road Trail Head. Obviously from the title of this post, things did not go as planned.

Mom dropped me off at Leota trail head just after 1 PM. I still have a lot to learn about backpacking so my back pack was way to heavy. After about the third hill, I was very tired so instead of walking seven or eight miles and camping naer New Chapel trail head, I camped at the 19 mile marker. Great site BTW, got up this morning, called my Mommy for a rescue pick up and walked the 2 1/2 miles or so to the parking lot at New Chapel Trail head.

It doesn't qualify as an Epic fail, no one got hurt and it didn't involved any rescue helicopters but it isn't an Epic win either.

I learned a lot.

I can't do 12 miles in a day with a heavy pack.

It takes a lot more water than I expected and it is difficult for me to view water as a scarse commodity.

Ramen noodles aren't very filling.

When you lay down with just an army blanket and the tent floor between you and the ground and it feels like a feather bed, you are really tired.

After Midnight, the feather bed turns back into hard ground.

Coyotes are very loud.

Purell hand cleaner is helpful in starting camp fires.

I can make camp coffee but it sucks.

Cracker Barrel coffee & breakfast taste much better after hiking.

The Knob Stone Trail between Leota and New Chapel Trail Heads contains two hills that are absolute killers, luckily they are early on traveling from Leota Trail Head to New Chapel. My impressions may be influnced by the weight of my pack but the second one is tough regardless. It begins with numerous switchbacks and then a LONG slow grind up a ridge. About halfway up you will believe you are nearing the top and might decide to struggle on and rest when you get there. Bad idea, in my opinion, just to let you know.

There are three recent tree falls across the trail. the first one isn't bad, just look down to your left because the trail switches back to the left and you can just walk along the tree down to the trail. The next on is giant tree and you will just have to navigate the best you can. I crawled under. The third is a small tree and I just pushed it down and stepped over.

In the middle of this section, there has been quite a lot of AVT use. It has rutted out a few places but most places it packed the trail down and made a nice wide path to walk.

There is a sweet campsite near the 19 mile marker and another pretty nice one near the 17 mile marker. If I remember correctly, there was a nice campsite near the Leota Trail Head but I wasn't thinking about camping yet, so I may easily be mistaken.

If you decide to walk from the New Chapel trail head parking out to HWY 160 to meet your Mommy, there is a big black dog that runs out and trys to bite off a large chunk of your posterior. If you yell at him and make jabbing motions with your walking stick, he reconsiders.

Good job on picking up the hiking hobby SteamBoat. Don't feel apprehensive of trying the knob again, it'll help your confidance level a lot.

Keep us posted all of you that are trying to lose weight or just feel better, nothing like group therapy to make you appreciate the little miracles that help you the next day!

Great website for working runner/walking/bicycling. It's www.dailymile.com It is kinda like Facebook for runners and triathletes. It lets you map out your runs and rides and it calculates calories burned and stuff like that. Pretty neat. It also shows you how frequently you actually work out. lol. It sure was an eye opener for me when I realized it wasn't nearly as often as I thought.

Still hanging around 295 lbs. 297 this morning blood sugar 101. Here is a picture of me at Red River Gorge on a backpacking Trip and a Trip report from this weekend. Walking led to hiking which has me exteremely interested in Backpacking so I attended a free backpacking class at a local trail store. Last weekend was our "Graduation" trip.

9616_1235044685621_1514319710_30624079_7950864_n.jpg

Trip report on Meetup.com/louisville Hiking

Happy Thanksgiving!

293 lbs Blood Sugar 94

I have been stuck on weight loss forever so this week I started counting calories. I am down 3 lbs this week. Yesterday was my first day under 3,000 this week and I walked eleven miles. Today, I am going to eat whatever I want but I will try to exercise some restraint, LOL.

Good for you!!

Feel proud about every *SINGLE* pound that you take off, and KEEP OFF.

I see that this has been ongoing for you for a few months, and you haven't gone up in weight, so you should only be VERY proud of yourself.

As a man of 290 lbs I know exactly what you are going through, (Sometimes just over 300) and as we get older the struggle sure gets harder doesn't it?

My only regret is not loosing weight as a youngster as others advised me too, I think it would have been much easier when I actually had energy.

Good luck and don't give up!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

There are two things with this that can't be passed over with a minimum of concern: COMMITMENT/DISCIPLINE... I too struggle with these day to day :( I wish you the best on this journey!

287 LBS first time under 289 since I began Dec 28th last year. I bought a pair of 42" waist jeans this week. It has been a long time since I could fasten a 42" waist.

Blood sugar 105 this morning. Medication has been decreased four times this year.

It isn't a full year until the 28th but I guess this has become my "year in review" post.

Started at 321 lbs, with out of control blood sugar and taking 2000 mg of Metformin and 10 mg of Glyburide and 55" around my belly.

287 lbs, last A1c was 6.1 and the Doc didn't even draw one this time. Taking 1000 mg of Metformin, 0 Glyburide and my belly is 51".

Its funny, unusual funny not LOL funny, the numbers don't seem to matter. I like the milestones, like walking a mile without stopping or having to lay down afterwards, two weeks ago, I walked twenty miles to my In-laws house, but, LOL, I had to laydown after that one. I can clip my cellphone to my belt again without it painfully digging into my side and I can zip my leather jacket.

Maybe this lifestyle change thing is working. We went to the movies, Old Dogs was pretty funny, Sonya got large popcorn with extra butter and I sat through the entire movie without eating a kernel. I wanted it, really bad but after the first few minutes, I forgot about it and I can't ever remember forgeting about movie theater popcorn. I have made it through movies without eating any of her popcorn before but I always knew exactly where it was and how much was left in the bag.

Last year, I told my Doc, I was going to lose 100 lbs and he said, "Good Luck with that." This month when I told him I was down thirty pounds, he says, "Good, that is just about the right amount to take off in a year. Do it again next year."

Fantastic progress Steamboat, it's inspiring reading this thread and is making me think about getting back at it myself. When I first read this thread I thought, "Oh boy, another crash dieter that will starve off 30 lbs in a couple months then balloon back up to 321 and bring another 15 lbs with for good measure." Well, it would appear you are proving me wrong. It's not about what you weigh 3 months from now, it's what you weigh in 3 years...in 13 years. Only a lifestyle change will truely get you there and keep you there. Keep up the great work! ;)

Bryce

Good job so far Steamboat! I have never dieted, but from what I've heard and read the best way to do it is safely by changing your lifestyle... not crash dieting and "detoxing" by eating only grapes for a weekend or whatever fad is popular. Keep it up!

I've backslid a little on the weight, 295 lbs this morning. Last A1C was 7.5, 5-6 is normal, I believe.

I am leaving this morning to backpack the Knobstone Trail, DNR Knobstone Trail Page. It is 59 miles if you walk the loops at Delaney Creek Park. My route will be 46 miles and I think it will take four days.

Even if you didn't hit the 100 pounds mark, you still took a bunch off and have kept it off for a while. Keep up the dedication and you can start shedding them again!

Good luck man! I have to lose 25lbs in 10 months, gotta look good for the big day.

Losing weight and eating healthy really takes dedication. I started back in July. Three years ago, I weighed around 170 and ran 10 miles a day 5 days out of the week. By July of this year I was over 200 lbs, and feeling very unhealthy.

I had my physical this past week and things are looking good. Since mid-July I've lost 17lbs. I am now back to running 5-6 miles a day, 5 days ouf of the week, and steadily increasing my distance. I'm hoping to lose the remaining weight and stay right around 170.

There are days when I just don't want to run, but I just keep at it. You feel 100x's better afterwards.

I had to pull out early. I severly underestimated how much water I would need. I thought 2-3 liters per day and there are no water sources along the since it hasn't rained for months so you have to cache water. I cached a gallon at the first trailhead, about 7 miles in, and skipped a trailhead so the second gallon was about ten miles farther down the trail. I started walking at 9:30 AM Friday with four liters in my pack. After coffee and tea the next morning, there was enoguh left in the gallon to fill my water pouch to the three liter mark.

By the time I reached the next trailhead, I had one liter left and the next gallon was 6 miles away. I am still green as grass at backpacking so I made some rookie mistakes, I had my water too far apart and my pack was overloaded. Mostly due to the weather, it was supposed to get cold at night so I had extra clothes and for some unkown reason, I decided to carry all four days worth of food, when I could have cached food with the water to save weight.

I still have a lot to learn about backpacking.

Friday morninig I weighed 295 lbs. When mom picked me up Saturday about noon, she brought a diet coke, which I drank immediately, we stopped at Wendy's I had a single, fires and diat, then I cam home, showered, had something else to eat and drink and I got curious, I weighed 287 lbs. after all that food and drink.

I had to pull out early. I severly underestimated how much water I would need. I thought 2-3 liters per day and there are no water sources along the since it hasn't rained for months so you have to cache water. I cached a gallon at the first trailhead, about 7 miles in, and skipped a trailhead so the second gallon was about ten miles farther down the trail. I started walking at 9:30 AM Friday with four liters in my pack. After coffee and tea the next morning, there was enoguh left in the gallon to fill my water pouch to the three liter mark.

By the time I reached the next trailhead, I had one liter left and the next gallon was 6 miles away. I am still green as grass at backpacking so I made some rookie mistakes, I had my water too far apart and my pack was overloaded. Mostly due to the weather, it was supposed to get cold at night so I had extra clothes and for some unkown reason, I decided to carry all four days worth of food, when I could have cached food with the water to save weight.

I still have a lot to learn about backpacking.

Friday morninig I weighed 295 lbs. When mom picked me up Saturday about noon, she brought a diet coke, which I drank immediately, we stopped at Wendy's I had a single, fires and diat, then I cam home, showered, had something else to eat and drink and I got curious, I weighed 287 lbs. after all that food and drink.

Most of what you lost may have still been water weight though some was probably actually fat loss. You burn about 100 calories for every mile you run. Given that you were backpacking, and your weight, you may have burned more than this. You lose approximately 1400 calories per day just through necessary bodily functions (breathing, digestion, etc). Finally, to lose a pound of fat weight, you need to burn approximately 3500 calories.

I didn't do very well this year. On the 2nd, I weighed 297 lbs and my blood sugar was 218. I am not beating myself up about it, considering food is my drug of choice and this has been a pretty rough year, I am suprised it isn't worse.

Sonya had a hysterectomy in March and was diagnosed with breat cancer this fall. We got lucky with the cancer, stage zero, she has two more radiation treatments left and we should be good to go.

Things are returning to normal so I believe I can get back on track.