• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm looking to start playing Golf!

Another thing along the lines of lessons. Don't think that just because you took lessons and got your swing tuned in means that you don't need them anymore. I still take a lesson or 2 every six months or so, just because there will always be a kink in your game somewhere, and I have been golfing for the last 15 or so years.

Another thing along the lines of lessons. Don't think that just because you took lessons and got your swing tuned in means that you don't need them anymore. I still take a lesson or 2 every six months or so, just because there will always be a kink in your game somewhere, and I have been golfing for the last 15 or so years.
Thnaks! I plan on it!

Just remember that 'golf' spelled backwards is 'flog'.

Welcome to 'the sickness'.

When you start playing remember to take large divots. It will impress every one. :whistling: :angry:

Since this thread has all the distinguished smoking golfers I thought I would post my question here.

Do to my recovering shoulder from the last couple of deployments I have been encouraged to pick up another hobby/addiction (much like cigars) and I'm picking up golf. I have played a little in the past with friends but this will be my first serious attack of the sport. Read all the above and I seem to be on the right track (arranging a few lessons) and have put together a decent set of clubs for very cheap (free bag, free irons, free P-Wedge and S- Wedge, used Nike Driver, 4 Wood, and Hybrid) but would like to replace the old putter I have. Please throw me a few recommendations for the Newbie... Thanks guys.

I'm not sure how golf is going to help your recovering shoulder as its the shoulder muscles that will get a lot of use. That being said, Odyssey (sp?) putters are pretty good.

For a guy that has never really played golf before I would say go get a $20-$30 putter you do not need anything crazy!

[sub]They want me to use my shoulder more now that it has mostly healed. Just trying to avoid impact injury. Adding golf in addition to my gym workouts should build strength. I'll look into some Odysseys. Thanks![/sub]

For a guy that has never really played golf before I would say go get a $20-$30 putter you do not need anything crazy!

Yeah, kind of the idea Paul, probably something with a decent alignment system. There are a number of decent used putters out there for low cost, was just looking to see if anyone had some favorites and why.

I really like my Odyssey 2ball putter but they make so many different types that you should really get into a golf store and try them out. Once you find one, look into Craigslist. I find a ton of golf gear in good condition for great prices.

I really like my Odyssey 2ball putter but they make so many different types that you should really get into a golf store and try them out. Once you find one, look into Craigslist. I find a ton of golf gear in good condition for great prices.

That is a really good suggestion. I was going to say the same thing. I have a Taylor Made Rossa Spider that I love, I also have a Ping G5 putter, and my current favorite my custom Byron Design blade.

You will probably want something with good head weight, as that will help keep the putter on line when you putt. Another good thing would be to see if your local driving range has a putting green and will let you test out putters on the greens. A lot of the ranges out here will let you test putters on their greens to see how they roll on something other than concrete covered with turf.

I perfer a smaller well balanced blade like the T-line earlier in the thread, If there is a Golf Town near you , go there. You can spend 2 days trying different putters in there it's awesome.

I use a mallet putter but I'm finding that fine-tuning the distance is harder than a light-weight blade putter. Just my 2C.

There are so many factors to involved. Do you want a heel shafted or center shafted putter. Also whether you want it square of off-set. Length, usually 34 or 35" is standard. Do you want a perimeter weighted or face balanced putter. So the best thing to do is to go and try out a bunch of stuff before you spend any money. Then start with a moderately priced model and see how it goes. I am a firm believer that you never take a putter or a driver out of your bag that you are playing well with and like. Just my opinions though.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I agree that it would be better to try out some putters on a real green. I think one of the courses closest to me has an extensive practice green and I'm sure the pro shop there would let me test drive a few putters. WIsh me luck...

Between ilikefishes and chiefmd you probably have the best mix. Think of it like cigars, they look good, but till you try them, who knows. Find out if looking and liking are the same thing over a period of time. You didn't rush out and buy a box of Padron '26s, why rush into this. Acquire the taste if indeed there is one. As chiefmd mentioned, perhaps the real game is the folks your with, a good cigar, a pinch of something from Scotland and just warm, friendly BS. Why is smoking alone at home ok, while being at a herf is so much better? Best of luck to ya.

Between ilikefishes and chiefmd you probably have the best mix. Think of it like cigars, they look good, but till you try them, who knows. Find out if looking and liking are the same thing over a period of time. You didn't rush out and buy a box of Padron '26s, why rush into this. Acquire the taste if indeed there is one. As chiefmd mentioned, perhaps the real game is the folks your with, a good cigar, a pinch of something from Scotland and just warm, friendly BS. Why is smoking alone at home ok, while being at a herf is so much better? Best of luck to ya.

Excellent advise indeed. Part of the reason I decided on golf was so I could spend some more time with some friends I don't see as often as I would like. So far I'm only in about $200 and have everything I need (not counting lessons) so I don't feel too bad.... other than trying not to think about all the cigars I could have bought with that money.

Honestly, unless you play almost every day, you won't need better clubs until your 3rd or 4th year because you won't be able to utilize what they offer you. And by then you can also make a better decision on what you're looking for.

www.golfwrx.com
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list

some fun reading to make you salivate in the mean time.

Here is what I have.

46c4cc11-5a90-ebe2.jpg
46c4cc11-5a97-61ec.jpg

The left one is a T-Line and on the right am Odyssey. Take your pick.

Looking at a Nike IC 20-10B for $30. Seems like a decent price.