• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm pissed

Humidor Minister

I was getting ready for my flight to Illinois and thought I better put my lighters in my bag that I'm checking in. I put my Xikar and my Prometheus deep in a side pocket of my suitcase. They were the only thing in the pocket. I get to the room and get ready to light up a cigar and find that both lighters are gone. The pocket is zipped closed but the lighters are gone. I can only assume they were "relieved" by someone during the trip. I'll be contacting American Airlines when I get back. Needless to say, I'm pissed. :angry:

Since you cannot have them in checked baggage unless they are in a DOT TSA approved container, I would assume TSA confiscated them.

I was getting ready for my flight to Illinois and thought I better put my lighters in my bag that I'm checking in. I put my Xikar and my Prometheus deep in a side pocket of my suitcase. They were the only thing in the pocket. I get to the room and get ready to light up a cigar and find that both lighters are gone. The pocket is zipped closed but the lighters are gone. I can only assume they were "relieved" by someone during the trip. I'll be contacting American Airlines when I get back. Needless to say, I'm pissed. :angry:

Yep. Stinks but it could have been worse.

http://boingboing.net/2009/07/15/tsa-officer-caught-s.html

I usually carry on whatever I simply can't justify and get myself a nice window seat near the back of the plane so I can watch the "savage baggage handlers" manhandle my bags (I wonder how many people will catch the reference ;) )

So far, I've had just about everything you can think of lost of destroyed in some way, shape or form but luckily I've never had anything outright stolen.

Since you cannot have them in checked baggage unless they are in a DOT TSA approved container, I would assume TSA confiscated them.

Usually they leave you a nice little nastygram when they do that, though. Unless the person was simply too lazy to bother with one.

That sucks that your good lighters got taken :( I pack 1 or 2 disposable torch lighters (cheapo,but refillable plastic Bic look-a-likes)in my check baggage that if confiscated, I feel no love lost. I'll also stick a box of matches in another part of the luggage, just in case.

I've had a otterbox with 5 sticks and my palio lifted from my suitcase before coming back from Louisiana. :( Some fugger most likely sliced the open to fill with ganja.

I've learned the hard way that its best to pack box matches and a cheap cutter. Its just not work the aggrevation of getting your stuff snatched whether it was legal or not.

Things have been stolen from bags for year....now it's legalized stealing. ;)

Samsonite/American Tourister gorilla commercial circa early '70s.

Did I win?

I usually carry on whatever I simply can't justify and get myself a nice window seat near the back of the plane so I can watch the "savage baggage handlers" manhandle my bags (I wonder how many people will catch the reference ;) )

Yep, I know what you mean brother. I forgot I had a lighter in my fanny pack(yea yea, I live in Miami....keep laughing). I went through security and the TSA guy said you can't bring that on board. It was one of those "waterproof" torch lighters that has a top that latches closed. Before giving it to him, I broke the top off and used a sharp piece of the top to also break the spark igniter so the lighter wouldn't function.

At least, that's what I tell everyone. I actually just gave it too him, and I realized too late that I wanted to break it before giving it too him. If this happens again, that is exactly what I will do.

Sucks, but oh well. We have to stay safe, right. The airlines can travel with "inert" oxygen cylinders (valuejet)in the cargo carrier, but we regular folk can't bring our lighters in our checked baggage. I call BS.

Sorry to hear that the airlines to your stuff Bill, I too only carry boxes of matches any more now with cheapo cutters just for that reason. I hope you get reimbursed from the bastids but don't hold your breath. At least you can demand a discount on your next flight, a bunch of sky miles or something like that......

My motto in these circumstances is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!!!!!

That sucks man, I was ripped off by TSA bastards for about $2500 in custom knives and jewelry. You can yell but their official policy is not to investigate theft claims. IMO they all suck.

That sucks. I usually put my lighters in the pocket of my jeans that are in my check on luggage. I have yet to get it taken. What part of IL are you in??

Yep. I'd bet money that TSA has them and that will be the last you ever see of them. Unless in DOT approved carriers, lighters are on the "forbidden" list.
To add, torch lighters can't be checked or carried on, in an approved case or not.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

As an aside, fueled lighters (of any kind) have not been allowed in checked luggage forever. The allowance for (non-torch) fueled lighters in approved cases in checked luggage was only brought in when lighters were banned in carry-ons in 2005. (The ban on carry-on (non-torch) lighters was lifted in 2007.)

I've flown several times with filled torch lighters in my checked bags inside the Colibri DOT approved case without an issue.

Edit for spelling