• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In or out of box?

He stated that it allows for better air circulation than leaving them in closed boxes.

Yes, it does provide better circulation...but why put your cigars at risk of being damaged.

Also...are you talking long term or short term aging?- oh...I'd say leave them as you bought them. (I missed the aging part.)

I agree with grateful1 on this. I also don't see a need to take cigars out of the cello for aging purposes.

I don't want to beat this into the ground, but I want to clarify it a little more. The other day I visited a friend who has a walk-in humidor in his house. He has everything from JFRs and Camachos to Padrons and Cubans. Every box he gets in, he takes the cigars out of the box and places them in trays. He says this allows them to age better than leaving them in boxes.

I'm confused, do the cigars not age as good if left in the boxes?

Really... You can not go wrong either way. Leave them in box or put them in trays. However, I am a big fan of leaving them in boxes, Why? Because, I feel that the company puts them in boxes that they feel is going to be the best way for their cigars to age. Its kind of like, getting whiskey, would you pour it out and put it in a different container to let it age? No that would be silly because the bottle it comes in is what makes the Whiskey unique from other whiskeys. I know that may of not been a good example. A better one maybe, same way with the cellophane on some of the cigars, I choose to keep mine in the cellophane because thats what makes that cigar "different" as well as the way the people that are producing the cigar feels is the best way to keep a particular cigar at its best.

I am not saying your friend is wrong about taking the cigars out of the box and placing them on trays, but If it were me, I keep them in the box. Its just a matter of how I think. If the cigar company did not want you to use their boxes, then they would of put them in zip lock bags. There is a reason for everything at every step of the way in the cigar making business. my .02

David

I agree. The boxes do fine. I have two humidors made to put boxes in and two for singles with drawers. I keep the smokers in the drawers for easy access and others in the boxes.

Cigars have come in boxes for 100+ years for a reason. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Why not? There have been no improvements in cigar storage practices in the last 100+ years?

I'm not saying I agree with the advice dispensed to the original poster by his friend. I don't. But reasonable experimentation coupled with community discussion of experiences is what drives a good bit of this (and really - all) hobby boards. Enthusiasts are constantly in pursuit of ever more favorable conditions and experiences. Sometimes they strike gold. Just talk to the humidification bead camp. They reinvented that whole wet sponge or "stick an apple core in with them cigars" humidification maintenance wheel. They in turn have been challenged by the cat poo silica bead camp.

The same can be said of cigar packaging. Like boxes. And jars. And so on...

Que sera, sera.

Why not? There have been no improvements in cigar storage practices in the last 100+ years?

I'm not saying I agree with the advice dispensed to the original poster by his friend. I don't. But reasonable experimentation coupled with community discussion of experiences is what drives a good bit of this (and really - all) hobby boards. Enthusiasts are constantly in pursuit of ever more favorable conditions and experiences. Sometimes they strike gold. Just talk to the humidification bead camp. They reinvented that whole wet sponge or "stick an apple core in with them cigars" humidification maintenance wheel. They in turn have been challenged by the cat poo silica bead camp.

The same can be said of cigar packaging. Like boxes. And jars. And so on...

Que sera, sera.
[/quote]

There have been many improvements in cigar humidification devices over the past 100 years. There have also been many improvements in space exploration. However neither of these topics is what this thread is about. It is very simply titled "In or out of the box". So, keep them in the box. BTW your responce was very Palinesque. IMHO of course.

Cigars have come in boxes for 100+ years for a reason. No need to reinvent the wheel.
This viewpoint is the less enlightened cousin to the aphorism "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." How can you reinvent something? You cannot as a matter of definition. You can, however, extend, expand, improve, and in so doing, create new applications and capabilities. If you see no benefit in the discussion at hand, then you're welcome to stay out of it instead of snidely interjecting pointless little chestnuts like the wheel thing.

There have been many improvements in cigar humidification devices over the past 100 years. There have also been many improvements in space exploration. However neither of these topics is what this thread is about. It is very simply titled "In or out of the box". So, keep them in the box. BTW your responce was very Palinesque. IMHO of course.
Are you trying to be cute or funny? Witty? Topically incisive? ??? What the OP asked was a bit more nuanced but you seemed to have missed this:

I keep my cigars in Vinotemp wine coolers. I plan on storing some of the cigars for years to age them...I have ordered some drawers from "Mtmouse" for my singles. I have unwrapped the boxes, so they are not sealed. Is it better to keep the cigars in the boxes they came in, or would they age better in the drawers?
(Emphasis added)

His question included the word "better" and thus begs for a comparison and perhaps recommendation. Remarking simply that cigars have always come in boxes surely does not help the OP. BTW, do you know why boxes come in boxes? What kinds of boxes? Or cabs? Or jars, cans, leaves, or any other packaging? If not, then it would be a little less than circumspect to presume that this particular package had as a consideration some desired effect on aging and development, an idea that was central to the OP's question.

By all means, take the counterpoint. Present an alternative view. But if you're going to do so, put a little thought and effort into making your argument. You've insulted the participants of this discussion and have added nothing of consequence.

Wilkey

Back