• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to spelling and grammar

I don't ever remember seeing this thread before. ???

You guys make me PROUD! :thumbs:

Back in '03 when I first started here, I used to catch all kinds of BS when I'd point out spelling and grammatical errors. I was called "The Grammarian" for a while back then and it wasn't all in fun either. :whistling: Some people used to get downright pissed off and all pushed out of shape when I'd point out their errors. Neal has a perfect quote for this:

"If you don't like being criticized for being wrong then stop being wrong."

Thankfully, all the hoopla resulted in a culture change here which as many of you have pointed out, is a good thing and something that makes CP a great place to hang our hats. :thumbs:

+1 CC

It is very refreshing to read (seemingly) intelligently written posts. Too often we cut corners for the sake of cutting corners. I know that I think (and read) twice before posting, and have found myself using spell check simply to escape your wrath.

+1 CC

It is very refreshing to read (seemingly) intelligently written posts. Too often we cut corners for the sake of cutting corners. I know that I think (and read) twice before posting, and have found myself using spell check simply to escape your wrath.

LMAO! :laugh:

I usually only bust on the repeat offenders :D and the guys like sixpackasshat who absolutely refuse to use the shift key which really pisses me off. :D

I certainly make my share of mistakes and I more than welcome the comments from those who point them out to me.

For years, I constantly spelled "definitely" wrong and used to write "alot" instead of "a lot." Because of my reputation of correcting others, I also received my share of corrections as well, what goes around comes around, right? :D For that, I'm extremely grateful because I learned from it and I no longer make those mistakes.

The people that "get it" understand that concept as well. The whiners and the idiots don't and that's their loss. :laugh:

'course, some of us just wait, knowing that the cats occasionally hit the 'nip. :whistling:

I don't ever remember seeing this thread before. ???

You guys make me PROUD! :thumbs:

Back in '03 when I first started here, I used to catch all kinds of BS when I'd point out spelling and grammatical errors. I was called "The Grammarian" for a while back then and it wasn't all in fun either. :whistling: Some people used to get downright pissed off and all pushed out of shape when I'd point out their errors. Neal has a perfect quote for this:

"If you don't like being criticized for being wrong then stop being wrong."

Thankfully, all the hoopla resulted in a culture change here which as many of you have pointed out, is a good thing and something that makes CP a great place to hang our hats. :thumbs:

I have an annoying habit of correcting people's English, specificallly the use of the word "good" vs. "well". It drives my wife nuts but I can't help it most of the time, it's almost involuntary anymore. When I joined CP, I was glad to see capitalization and proper English were the norm. Like CC said, we all make mistakes, but it seems most make an effort and for that I am thankful.

lolz u guys need 2 get over it this is the interwebs how can u expect ppl to use full words and punctuation when its gonna wear out theyre keybords more

lolz u guys need 2 get over it this is the interwebs how can u expect ppl to use full words and punctuation when its gonna wear out theyre keybords more

Newbie gets the benefit of doubt....unless he's really that big of a masochist.

:sign:

CC - Ditto. I'm fanatical about 'your' and 'you're' as well as 'they're', 'there', and 'their'. I must say, the one that pisses me off the most is the improper usage of the apostrophe. I see businesses that use it in 'there sign's', and it seems like its such a simple thing... an apostrophe is for POSSESSION, not PLURALITY. (I'm certainl I misused plurality, but, well, who gives a f@#$?)

Think of it like a dress code in a restaurant. Wear a tie, or don't bother coming in. CP is also a place populated by all generations. Humor us old guys, eh?

[... an apostrophe is for POSSESSION, not PLURALITY. (I'm certainl I misused plurality, but, well, who gives a f@#$?)

It can and is used for plurality in certain circumstances, such as lowercase letters or to avoid confusion. From what I understand, plurality via an apostrophe (other than the obvious misuse . . . i.e. sign's) is a matter of stylistic choice and not necessarily black letter grammar.

Really?!?!?! I stand corrected....from Wikipedia:

[edit] Use in forming certain plurals
An apostrophe is used by some writers to form a plural for abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols where adding just s rather than 's may leave things ambiguous or inelegant. Some specific cases:

It is generally acceptable to use apostrophes to show plurals of single lower-case letters, such as be sure to dot your i's and cross your t's. Some style guides would prefer to use a change of font: dot your is and cross your ts.[citation needed] Upper case letters need no apostrophe (I got three As in my exams[35]) except when there is a risk of misreading, such as at the start of a sentence: A's are the highest marks achievable in these exams.

For groups of years, the apostrophe at the end cannot be regarded as necessary, since there is no possibility of misreading. For this reason, most authorities prefer 1960s to 1960's[35] (although the latter is noted by at least one source as acceptable in American usage[36]), and 90s or '90s to 90's or '90's.

The apostrophe is sometimes used in forming the plural of numbers (for example, 1000's of years); however, as with groups of years, it is unnecessary: there is no possibility of misreading. Most sources are against this usage.

The apostrophe is often used in plurals of symbols. Again, since there can be no misreading, this is often regarded as incorrect.[35] That page has too many &s and #s on it.

Finally, a few sources accept its use in an alternative spelling of the plurals of a very few short words, such as do, ex, yes, no, which become do's, ex's, etc.[37] In each case, dos, exes, yeses (or yesses) and noes would be preferred by most authorities. Nevertheless, many writers are still inclined to use such an apostrophe when the word is thought to look awkward or unusual without one.

Never quote Wikipedia, as everything there is subject to revision or correction! ;)

If we could just stop misusing there, their, and they're, I'd be a happy camper.

Never quote Wikipedia, as everything there is subject to revision or correction! ;)

:)

One of my pet peeves is not placing a comma after a complete date. If you just state month and year, no comma is necessary, but a full date requires one after completion.

Count me among those who appreciate reading well-written and properly punctuated posts.

I know it isn't necessarily second nature for everyone, so in addition to appreciating the efforts of the grammar gatekeepers, I also appreciate it when people make the effort.

While we're on the topic and because I can't vent out loud without risking trouble, it has taken every ounce of my restraint this morning to not staple a list of rules for proper alphabetizing to my supervisor's forehead. It's all fine and dandy if you don't want to follow conventional rules for organization if you're the only one who will be using it, but when several other people must also work with the files, it's kind of important to play by the same goddamn rules as the rest of the civilized world.

Hey - if you really don't want to bother learning how to spell/punctuate/write - you could always learn the phrase, "you want fries with that?"