• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to spelling and grammar

Woah, I didn't even notice that this thread as been bumped a few times.

The more forums I join (recently several firearms forums) I realize that Cigar Pass seems to be the last bastion of mostly correct grammar on the internet. I still find it to be refreshing.

I don't think so. Inside the quotes should be a direct quote from Tom. Sure, he made another mistake and should've had one in there but since I was quoting him, I think I'm correct in leaving it outside the quotes. Boar, we need a ruling please. Matt, winner buys first round at the Outlaw? :D

and while you too are in hear worried about periods like hi school seniors theirs a hole slew of posts that look Pretty much just like this contaminating the bored :rolleyes:

LOL . . . did someone call for an English teacher? :sign:

Matt is correct, Moe; ALL punctuation, even that not part of the actual quote, goes inside the quotes. For example:

Did he just say "winner buys first round at the Outlaw?"

He just said "winner buys first round at the Outlaw!"

. . . are both correct. Where it gets really strange, however, is around semi-colons:

Moe said "winner buys first round at the Outlaw;" I can taste that cold beer now!

It's TECHNICALLY correct, but looks so weird that it should be avoided at all costs; the last thing you want is people paying more attention to your punctuation than your sentence.

~Boar

It's obvious Mrs. Koth got to you, Boar. Sad, really, that one English Comp. teacher can be so influenced by another. Well, I'm a man of my word and will happily buy Matt a round. But you and I are done from here on out Boar. You are dead to me. :sign: Just kidding buddy, I appreciate the lesson and will count it as my "Learn something new everyday!" for the day. Note the application of your lesson there!?!?

Mrs. Crabtree reincarnated! Run for your lives!!

I find this funny, every time I have a CP revival, this thread is up and running.

I havent been here for a while, I just rolled back into CP town this past week, low and behold the thread has popped back up again. It's always an interesting read too, haha.