• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In The Matter Of Pricing Over MSRP...

Let me make one thing clear here and Wilkey touched on this. If I purchased a cigar close to MSRP plus the applicable tax and sales tax and I aged the cigar and it became a popular vintage would I not be entitled to appreciation in value? Does it mean if I make the cigar available to you now and it is a much sought after cigar I should sell it to you for what I originally paid for it?

If so there is lot of gougers out there! There is clearly a market for aged cigars out there and I'm sure everyone here pays extra for them.

Now here is my question, would you pay a premium for an 02 Shark as opposed to one from 06?

I have no problem with people charging what they paid, never have. It's unreasonable for us to expect anything else.

If you don't like the prices, don't buy. It's that simple.

I think that about sums it up with one addendum in my opinion (and Wilkey touched on this), the issue of aged sticks from a respected member. I was just educated about this in another thread here. :)

Seems to me that this should be taken into account and one should expect to pay a little more for an aged stick. This is pretty well regulated through the more established members here.

If someone's pricing is out of line, it won't take long for everyone else to know. The self-moderating aspect of this board takes care of that pretty well.

If you don't like the prices, don't buy. It's that simple.

This, of course is the simplest way to put it.

Just my newbie opinion...

Well handled so far gents.

There's been very little (not none, but very little) of the judgment that has gone on on the other threads based on post counts, join dates, etc.

Some fine points have been made. This is good. :)

Well handled so far gents.

There's been very little (not none, but very little) of the judgment that has gone on on the other threads based on post counts, join dates, etc.

Some fine points have been made. This is good. :)

Thanks Dr. Phil!

Let me make one thing clear here and Wilkey touched on this. If I purchased a cigar close to MSRP plus the applicable tax and sales tax and I aged the cigar and it became a popular vintage would I not be entitled to appreciation in value? Does it mean if I make the cigar available to you now and it is a much sought after cigar I should sell it to you for what I originally paid for it?

If so there is lot of gougers out there! There is clearly a market for aged cigars out there and I'm sure everyone here pays extra for them.

Now here is my question, would you pay a premium for an 02 Shark as opposed to one from 06?

off topic a little but what keeps someone from saying a cigars is ___ years old when its actually not? band difference? color? some other characteristic?

that would piss me off more than paying too much for something.

off topic a little but what keeps someone from saying a cigars is ___ years old when its actually not? band difference? color? some other characteristic?

If you trust who you're trading with, then you won't need to worry.

Yup... This saying is very popular in regards to "other" cigars... "trust your source"

This is one of the reasons that newbies are scrutinized closely when they come here trying to sell stuff.
Selling cigars via the internet (aged cigars in particular) requires trust by the buyer.
Established members are trusted and their reputation is one of the things at stake in these transactions, not just the sale of fine cigars.

Yup... This saying is very popular in regards to "other" cigars... "trust your source"

:thumbs:

im going to go out on a limb here and guess you should trust who you are dealing with when it comes to aged cigars. :)

And it should be raised.
How do you judge? By post count? C'mon... Someone joined 2-3 months ago and got around 1000 posts. Someone joined 2-3 years ago and have 200-300 posts... Who is more trustworthy?
Looking at the posts of some members who have high post count in short period of time you might notice that not all their posts worth counting... as they do not have value for this board. Some messages are just an info for other member... like "PM sent"... some just expressing the mood of the poster without any usefull information.
Question is whether all this posts are equal.
So, I guess neither post count nor joined date could be very helpfull when you make a judgement.
Trade count maybe? But we do not have it here.
So what is the base to make a judgement?

Interesting article that Mark Twain linked to, and I agree with most of it, although I find this:

If we only buy Fuente Fuente Opus X® from reputable dealers that are charging fair prices for the products, we secure our rights to enjoy these cigars with more frequency and we may actually be able to buy a full box once in a while!

quite bothersome.

I was not previously aware of my right to enjoy any cigar with more frequency. Nor am I aware of it now...

im going to go out on a limb here and guess you should trust who you are dealing with when it comes to aged cigars. :)

If you have to ask you shouldn't buy from them :whistling:

I do not really waqnt to start how many times I received fakes while other party was completely sure that cigars are authentic... That is horrible... I do not know how to say it or whether I should say... All the time I kept my mouth shut... Which is maybe wrong...

And it should be raised.

Elsewhere, perhaps, on a thread that wasn't premised on being set up for the statement of opinions without judgment.

Counterpoints are a natural outgrowth of such a thread. Well-reasoned discourse is. Use of someone's relative "youth" or lack thereof on the site as a basis for forming an opinion is not.

This is, of course, a community. The consensus will be either that the original intent of the thread should or shouldn't be followed - democracy will have spoken, one way or the other.

Edited to add:

There's a huge difference between forming an opinion based on long and learned experience on these boards and presenting it as such, and overtly discounting someone else's opinion because they haven't had that experience.

Pricing higher than MSRP is not screwing anyone. A person has to decide what he or she is willing to pay for a product and either accept or decline the offer. The members of this board should have no say whatsoever on what another person charges. What is the responsiblity of members here, is to counsel other members, if requested. No one should jump on anyone's back as to the selling price, until it is questioned by a potential buyer. This can be done privately or in public, shouldn't matter. Ultimately the market will decide the debate.

I do not really waqnt to start how many times I received fakes while other party was completely sure that cigars are authentic... That is horrible... I do not know how to say it or whether I should say... All the time I kept my mouth shut... Which is maybe wrong...

Now that is a horse of a different color! If you have purchased cigars in question and the person hasn't corrected it then you have every right to out this person and or the source! This is a whole other topic and is worse than gouging. I would caution you if you have dealt with individuals or sources on the board it is your responsibility to inform the community of any wrong doing.