• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Inaugural CigarPass Cigar Draft 2006

Nice job with all the research on this Wilkey. I'm in if there is room. Thanks!

I'd just like to say that this sounds like a blast and I'm glad someone came up with it and Wilkey is running it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate, but I'd sure as hell try to get in on the next one!

:thumbs:

i'd like to play, but i'm most likely too new to :( oh well! it sounds like a great concept though.

I was thinking about this draft and had an idea. Like any draft there are good and not so good to choose from. Maybe we should make the puts (if 5 sticks is the choice) one 15-20$$ primo, three 5$-9$ mid range sticks, and one 2$-3$ stick.

This way the sequence number picks will make it more interesting. This would give us a sort of winner and a looser based on sequence and knowledge of the cigars. Just a thought!

Count me in if there is room. Great research and info Wilkey!

I have update the opening post with some important information. Participants please read and give me your input. It is reproduced below also.

Update - Please Read 11/19 12:40PM

Response to the Cigar Draft has been very strong. So far, we have about triple the projected participants.

From the Original Thread: 6 newbies and 18 non-newbie interest
From this thread: 4 newbies and 6 non-newbie interest
Total: 10 newbs, 24 non-newbs

So basically we have enough for three full drafts. I cannot run three drafts.

However, I can offer the following option. Maintaining the running cigar inventory and keeping an eye on picks to make sure it all progresses smoothly seems to be a very time intensive part of the draft. We could have a second draft run concurrently if someone wants to volunteer and be responsible for updating the stick list in a post on the main thread. I would still receive, store, and ship the cigars for both drafts.

So, in this case, we'd have Draft A and Draft B, both with 12 participants.

There is one more issue to put on the table. AVB and I have done an analysis of different pick order schemes and have come up with the following findings.

1. If there are an ODD number of cigars per participant, then the lower your participant number, a slightly better overall pick average you will have. This translates to a slight advantage.

2. If there is an EVEN number of cigars per participant, then all participants will have the same overall pick average. The playing field is even.

The upshot is this. Do you guys want a a draft that provides some advantage to low player numbers. Take the chance that you get a low number and the slight advantage it confers. For this, we can use an ODD number of cigars like 5 per.
OR
Do you want a totally egalitarian game where the only advantage to player number is in the very first cycle of picks? For this, we need to use an EVEN number of cigars like 6 per.

Of course, the final totally fair option is to use a random number generator to come up with a shuffled pick order that favors no one AND allows for ODD or EVEN numbers of cigars per.

Please let me know what you think.

On Burnt Tongue's idea of different classes of cigar values, I think we need to pass on this additional complication. Providing a range with discretion will allow some measure of flexibility without making it a rigid requirement.

I am fine with whatever but I do think the even number strategy is more fair.

Sounds fine to me.

If no one else is willing, I could maintain the list for the second draft for you.

I tend to sit here in the bat cave with all kinds of time on my hands to surf and read the forum. :)

I'd like to say that I am still interested in this, if there is availability. If there is not - it's no big deal.

I assume there should be a thread for each separate draft.

Maybe 1 of the volunteers to run it could be in each of the separate drafts and run it from there...

Just saw this thread and would love to be a part of it. I also would not mind managing one of the drafts if you need that.

Question 1) is there a time limit to make the pick for Takes?

Question 2) am I right in assuming that Takes will be shipped as one package once all the picks are in?

Suggestion: To make this a bit more fun we can have 1 out of 5 sticks being a mystery stick - and each player has to Take 1 mystery stick --that way more people can get involved in mystery cigar reviews and it adds more fun and a bit of chance into the game

Son a bitch!!! I was worried I was going to start this thread and leave for the weekend and be too late. Hopefully one of the mystery spots Wilkey saved had my name on it.

I was thinking the draft would be similar to a FFL draft were picks would go up and down the ladder:

Round 1: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Round 2: 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

As usual, I'm sure Wilkey did his research, I am not worried about how you handle it. I hope that we do not mandate a $20 premium stick in the draft. I don't have any such stogie in the humidor!!

Jason

Just saw this thread and would love to be a part of it. I also would not mind managing one of the drafts if you need that.

Question 1) is there a time limit to make the pick for Takes?

Question 2) am I right in assuming that Takes will be shipped as one package once all the picks are in?

Suggestion: To make this a bit more fun we can have 1 out of 5 sticks being a mystery stick - and each player has to Take 1 mystery stick --that way more people can get involved in mystery cigar reviews and it adds more fun and a bit of chance into the game

Ok boys,

Here are my thoughts on the recent replies.

1. Time limit on picks (takes) - when the draft is underway, players should be prepared to be online to check periodically during the time around when they expect to be up. I owuld say that during the daytime, a few hours is about max. We'll have to play it by ear.

2. Shipping - nothing gets shipped until the draft is complete and all the cigars are gone.

3. Mystery stick idea - I like it! If the participants do to, I say we incorporate this into the draft.

CgarDan,
If you wouldn't mind administering the second draft, then I believe we can have two simultaneous drafts!

Satchmo,
I addressed the draft order question in post #28 of this thread.

I have a spot set for you.

Here are the two proposed lineups based on order of interest and slightly interwoven to balance the two drafts. Total participants are capped at 12 + 12. This will also be posted in the opening thread.

Alpha Draft
Ginseng - Draftmaster and Alpha Draft administrator
denverdog
marcsheldon
Burnt Tongue
davidr2340
slcraiders
BkCloud114
Jeff1101
Bchem
Satchmo
Boogs34
Krautle87

Bravo Draft
CgarDan - Bravo Draft administrator
CasaSoho
Mr Wolf
The Volusianator
JHawk
Fatken
insight
tkoepp
Blue Dragon
mmburtch
WOXOF
fenian'98

On Deck in case of Dropouts
MarkTwain
bilder
bigvinnysd
brickhouse
wasy
roudou
wanlail
Seanohue

Wilkey

Sounds good to me! I also like the bonus stick ideas Wilkey came up with, just to make things a little more interesting.

Looks good, sounds good...
I like the "mystery stick" idea as well!!! :thumbs:

Sir Wilkey, sorry I havent caught this till now, but I've been working all weekend. As per my intent in the original post, of course I still want to participate. Count me in, I'll be keeping tabs on the status of the draft. I'm game for whatever rules the majority agrees to.

Wade

Just saw the draft lineups, they look great.