• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Indoor smoking

fegbri

fegbri
With the cold weather coming, just wanted to see who smokes inside and what you guys use to limit the smell. I was tempted to have a cigar in my basement but figured the smoke would rise and permeate through the house. Could you contain it to an upstairs bedroom?

All I can add is this....I smoke a cigar in my garage 2 weeks ago...and it took 3 days for the smell to dissipate

Along these same lines, has anyone used an air purifier when smoking indoors? My wife is very sensitive to smoke, but if there is a highly effective purifier I might be able to get away with smoking in the house over the long winter.

My story of indoor smoking.

I've smoked indoors in two places. First, the downstairs living room in my house. There's a chimney, ventilation is good, and the smell dissipated fast. Score one for the good guys.

Emboldened by this, I was working in my basement, and smoked a Torano Signature - a big, black, strong cigar. Unfortunately, the central air is also located in the basement. The entire house smelled like cigars, and it stayed that way for the better part of a week.

Lesson: do not smoke next to the central air.

Cigar smoke doesn't go away very easily. I have never smoked inside but then I'm fortunate, the weather is always good in my part of the world.

Do some searching, this topic has been covered in depth. Some guys have put in sophisticated venting systems at minimal costs.

Here are a few links

LINKY1

LINKY2

LINKY3

This is a good one

Brian

Trick is to find a room in the house with a few conditions.

No carpet, keep curtains or fabric blinds away, and leather chairs that will not absorb the smoke odor like fabric would. I position my lounge chairs deliberately with a window behind me. When I smoke inside I place a box fan in the open window with a window, or door cracked slightly on the opposite side. This creates a positive air draw across the room effectively drawing any smoke odors right outside through the fan. As long as I take the ashtray outside when I'm done, there is not one bit of lingering smell whatsoever.

I usually prepare beforehand by cranking up the wood stove, or the heat. This helps offset the cold air that you will be drawing through the room.

I did the same thing in our office one day. It took three days of Febreeze, open windows, & burning candles to get the smell out of there. The difference was fabric blinds, and carpet floors. I can't stand the smell of stale cigar smoke.

This is a fairly cheap solution for those of us who do not have the means to buy expensive ventilation/filtration systems.

Cigar smoke doesn't go away very easily. I have never smoked inside but then I'm fortunate, the weather is always good in my part of the world.

Do some searching, this topic has been covered in depth. Some guys have put in sophisticated venting systems at minimal costs.

Here are a few links

LINKY1

LINKY2

LINKY3

This is a good one

Brian

Brian,

Rod's link in the last "this is a good one" is no longer a working link. Just a heads up and thank you.

Here are a few links

LINKY1

LINKY2

LINKY3

This is a good one

Brian

Brian,

Rod's link in the last "this is a good one" is no longer a working link. Just a heads up and thank you.

Works for me! ???

Brian

Cold weather has hit a little bit here and ive found myself in the garage. Just raise the door a bit, sit back and enjoy. Its not the greatest conditions but atleast im not freezing my butt off.

With the cold weather coming, just wanted to see who smokes inside and what you guys use to limit the smell. I was tempted to have a cigar in my basement but figured the smoke would rise and permeate through the house. Could you contain it to an upstairs bedroom?
Is the basement finished? If so it will be fairly easy to setup a smoking area. You can install a ventilation fan over the smoking area along with an air purifier which you will want to run after you smoke. Like Marco-Polo pointed out, the furnace is located in the basement and when it kicks on it will suck air from the room and push it throughout the house so it is best if it is enclosed. I have a smallish basement, 600 sq feet, so I put in a 300CFM fan and an air purifier. It works very well as long as there aren't more than one or two people smoking but I still need to enclose the furnace, thanks for the reminder and good luck! :laugh:

EDIT - Here is the link to my basement project..