• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Instructions for Canning?

Blue Dragon

Can't Re-Member
I'm trying to can some stuff and am having issues. Apparently I can't even read the directions on the back of the box holding the jars.

It is my understanding that I need to put the jars in boiling water. Take them out. Put the stuff in the jar. Put the seal lid on top. Screw on ring. .. But it doesn't seem to be creating the seal and sucking down the top of the lid.

Is it because I am putting in cold stuff? .. Well, that doesn't make sense because Jam is usually cold. So what am I missing here?

TIA,
- C

Jam needs to be hot. Heat the jars as well. Put on the lids (make sure to wipe the lip) and rings and wait for them to cool. They should seal up fine.

Linky

Jam needs to be hot. Heat the jars as well. Put on the lids (make sure to wipe the lip) and rings and wait for them to cool. They should seal up fine.

Linky

Yep!
Heat the jars well in boiling water to sterilize, but you don't need to pressure cook Jam like other things. Also use parrifin wax to preserve the jam.

CANNING PROCEDURE FOR JAMS AND JELLIES

1. Wash jelly glasses or jars in warm soapy water. Rinse with hot water. Keep hot until ready to use. Wash jar lids according to manufacturer's directions. Best to boil jars to assure sterilization.

2. Prepare jam or jelly according to directions in recipe.

3. Pour hot jelly mixture into hot glasses to within 1/2 inch of top. Cover immediately with hot paraffin 1/8 inch thick. Prick any air bubbles (standard 6 ounce jelly glass takes 1 tablespoon paraffin. Or pour preserves and soft jams into canning jars filling to top. Wipe top and threads of jar with clean damp cloth. Place lids atop, sealing compound next to jar rim and seal immediately. Screw the metal bands down tightly.

4. Let jams and jellies cool on rack or thick cloth overnight. Cover jelly glasses with metal or paper lids. Label to show name of product and date. Store in cool, dry, dark place.

Is that what you're making........Jam?
No, Cookie has the corner on Jam covered .. I'm making filty pirate hooker spooge. Bsneed loves it, so I thought I'd can some up for him so he can have it year round. :thumbs:

But it isn't hot .. so I am guessing that is the problem. The contents are cold, even though the jars are hot. So, after looking at those links, I'm guessing that I either need to heat up my spooge or do the warm bath method?

Thanks guys.

Anything taste pretty good spread over a warm biscuit!

Here's a little update:

I finally got the canning to work - Thanks guys! The key seemed to be making sure that the contents of the jar wsa hot, and that the jars themselves were hot. I ended up using a trick my Stepmom told me about: run the jars in the dishwasher and then can immediately after the hot/dry cycle. That got the jars plenty warm and seemed to do the trick.

However, after thinking about this longer I really think that making sure the contents are hot is the key. Once the contents cool they shrink which causes the seal to become snug on the top of the jar. .. But then again, what do I know?

:thumbs:

Jelly, I go away for 4 months and the man is in the kitchen making JELLY.

We need to rally the troops and get this man back to a strip club.

On a side not, we added wax to top than put the jelly back in the pressure cooker to heat the jar back up, to seal lid.

Happy holidays brother

The contents need to be hot as well, so it creates the vacuum. Either that or put the jar with contents in the microwave for a little bit, the put the lid on, should be enough to create the vacuum.

Just to clarify Martha Stewart, you are canning a "sauce" not vegies or meats, correct.

Can you say Botulism? If so, Soulpuppy is looking for some on the sly Botox.