• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Inventory is a Beeee-iiiiiitch

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
Call me anal... but I have always wanted to keep an inventory of my smokes. I also like to keep up with trades and purchases and also who I owe cigars to for bombs and lottos and such. I am the most un-organized person in most other ways so I can't understand why this is any different. ??? I guess we know whats important don't we? :p

It is 5:15am in the Hills of North Carolina and I have been up since 2. :( I am just about finished with my 120qt and I have 3 other humis that I won't get to before work. I also have to put in all the sticks that I have recently won in the cigarpool lotto. I thought I would take a break and tell ya'll about my troubles. :p

After months of searching and database programming hoping to find/design the perfect inventory/cigar transaction system, I had no luck. There are a few programs out there but none of which suited me. Like I said, I needed something to keep up with purchases, bombs, trades, gifts, lottos AND inventory... all in the same package. It's just not out there.

I decided to use Quickbooks. I already have it and use it daily for my business. It is very easy to use and it will do everything I need. I just set everyone that I deal with up as customers. When I send them something, I enter a Sales Receipt and it lists the cigars I am including and the dates of the ISOMs. This is great because I always have to type up a list of the cigars so they will know what they are getting anyway. I have it set up not to show prices though. :) When someone sends me something, I enter in a credit. This adds/removes all the cigars from Inventory. I guess I will do the same thing when I smoke one, which may become troublesome. ??? I will set up the vendors that I deal with too.

I guess I have too much time on my hands but I think it will be nice to know what I have. Until now, for the most part, I had no idea. There's just too much to keep up with.

Anyone else doing something similar? I would be interested to know if there is a better way.

All I do is store all my cigars in different humis and cooladors. Make sure the humidity stays between 65 - 70 % humity and the temp doesn't go above 75 degrees. Lastly and most importantly, I smoke em'...... :D :sign: :p :thumbs: :D

stogieman said:
All I do is store all my cigars in different humis and cooladors. Make sure the humidity stays between 65 - 70 % humity and the temp doesn't go above 75 degrees. Lastly and most importantly, I smoke em'...... :D :sign: :p :thumbs: :D
I do the same. Get a life... :p

Emo

Thanks for the words of encouragement gentlemen! :sign: :sign:

I agree with you SD_Stack, but my inventory is a lot smaller. For now, I just use a text list.

When I am sent something, I spend hours trying to make sure that I have a good idea of what it is (and review opinions one it) before adding it to the list. Since I only smoke <=1/week I want to make sure that it is a stick that I want to smoke. And if I smoke it, I want to know what I smoked.

I keep my inventory in Excel, not too fancy but it works. I was going to redo it in Access but I decided I wasn't that anal. :)

HMMM keeping inventory: Step 1.) Open Humidour
Step 2.) Check Humidity/Temp
Step 3.) Remove all 3 trays ( being careful not to drool on them)
Step 4.) Open and move all boxes in bottom around
Step 5.) Replace all trays in different order
Step 6.) Close humidour
Step 7.) Light up the dog rocket ya took, cause your to cheap to light up one of your good ones with no one around to impress ............ :p
Step 8.) Call and order more cigars,cause ya never have enuff.

Inventory done ! :D

I keep an Excel spreadsheet. I use it mostly to keep track of what the cigars are worth and where they came from.

As it's been discussed before, it's rude to pass and trade cigars you receive as gifts and since I can't remember what I had for breakfast a half an hour ago, no way can I remember who gave me what unless I record it somewhere. :D

coventrycat86 said:
I keep an Excel spreadsheet. I use it mostly to keep track of what the cigars are worth and where they came from.
Same. I just have multiple worksheets for different things. There's one for Domestics, ISOMs, Passes, Trades/Bombs, and Reviews. I keep track of when I get a cigar and when I smoke it. That's about it. :)

I'd much rather spend the time smoking my cigars than wasting it trying to do an inventory.

Also it fun when you go rumaging around a humidor or cooler and find something that you have forgotten you had and they have a nice bit of age on them!

Shadow said:
Also it fun when you go rumaging around a humidor or cooler and find something that you have forgotten you had and they have a nice bit of age on them!
Good Point Bill.

Does no one keep an active inventory? Ya'll are breaking my heart. :(

SD_Stack said:
Call me anal... but I have always wanted to keep an inventory of my smokes. I also like to keep up with trades and purchases and also who I owe cigars to for bombs and lottos and such. I am the most un-organized person in most other ways so I can't understand why this is any different. ??? I guess we know whats important don't we? :p

It is 5:15am in the Hills of North Carolina and I have been up since 2. :( I am just about finished with my 120qt and I have 3 other humis that I won't get to before work. I also have to put in all the sticks that I have recently won in the cigarpool lotto. I thought I would take a break and tell ya'll about my troubles. :p

After months of searching and database programming hoping to find/design the perfect inventory/cigar transaction system, I had no luck. There are a few programs out there but none of which suited me. Like I said, I needed something to keep up with purchases, bombs, trades, gifts, lottos AND inventory... all in the same package. It's just not out there.

I decided to use Quickbooks. I already have it and use it daily for my business. It is very easy to use and it will do everything I need. I just set everyone that I deal with up as customers. When I send them something, I enter a Sales Receipt and it lists the cigars I am including and the dates of the ISOMs. This is great because I always have to type up a list of the cigars so they will know what they are getting anyway. I have it set up not to show prices though. :) When someone sends me something, I enter in a credit. This adds/removes all the cigars from Inventory. I guess I will do the same thing when I smoke one, which may become troublesome. ??? I will set up the vendors that I deal with too.

I guess I have too much time on my hands but I think it will be nice to know what I have. Until now, for the most part, I had no idea. There's just too much to keep up with.

Anyone else doing something similar? I would be interested to know if there is a better way.
That's a cool idea using Quickbooks. When I first was being anal about keeping an inventory I wished I had a tool that allowed me to do "transactions" of adding or deleting cigars....this sounds like the perfect tool!

Also reminds you where you got the cigar so you can thank 'em when you write a review!

Right now I have a very sophisticated system where I write the name of the sender in Sharpie on the ziplock bag.

I used to worry about what I have......

Now I just worry about running out! LMAO

Smoke the damn things!! :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

It's a great idea but I've just become to big a cigar smoking degenerate to even consider it. It would be way too time consuming. Right now all I do is keep track of the boxes of Havanas I'm accumulating for aging purposes. I keep a little notebook with my humis.

am thinking abut doing something in Excel myself.

too lazy/ have to study sometime, so might get done in a week or two.

before I would usu. get paper and write out what I have ea. month, so I kinda updated it often...

The only time I worry about inventory is when I take the last stick out of a box. ;)

Does no one keep an active inventory?

I TOLD YOU I DO YA WHACK!!! :D :love: Wassa matter, my lowly opinion not good enough for ya?

I'd much rather spend the time smoking my cigars than wasting it trying to do an inventory.

I'm sure that when I get so far behind in updating my inventory, I'll adopt a similar thought process. :D

Right now with only about 500 cigars, I feel I can keep up with it BUT if my stash keep growing at the present rate, no way will I be able to keep up and I'll be doing the same thing Shadow does ;)

Roseysman said:
HMMM keeping inventory: Step 1.) Open Humidour
Step 2.) Check Humidity/Temp
Step 3.) Remove all 3 trays ( being careful not to drool on them)
Step 4.) Open and move all boxes in bottom around
Step 5.) Replace all trays in different order
Step 6.) Close humidour
Step 7.) Light up the dog rocket ya took, cause your to cheap to light up one of your good ones with no one around to impress ............ :p
Step 8.) Call and order more cigars,cause ya never have enuff.

Inventory done ! :D
Yup! :D

Hey SD,
I got an idea. . . .

Just send all the cigars to me and I will inventory them for you. That way, you don't have to sit up all night.

Of course, it may take some time to do it. . . and there may be a series of small fires while I am working so hard. . . but I would be glad to handle it for you.
:D :D :D :D :D

Just trying to help out a friend!

STEVE

Bro! I would do that for you and I appreciate the offer, but I know that if you had all my stogies and were to somehow add a bottle of single malt to the picture, I would have not cigars left. :(

:p