• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is 52 to 55 degrees too low?

jammwm

Fairly new to the cigar world. I lost a few decent cigars a while back so I decided to upgrade from a small cedar humidor to an electric humidor with more control. Purchased the one at the link below. The humidity stays in the zone at all times now, but I have to keep the temperature around 52 to 55 degrees. It is only be running for a week so it may still need to regulate. My question is...is 52 to 55 degrees too low? Will this impact how long the cigars last?

Appreciate any advice or tips...thanks.

Fairly new to the cigar world. I lost a few decent cigars a while back so I decided to upgrade from a small cedar humidor to an electric humidor with more control. Purchased the one at the link below. The humidity stays in the zone at all times now, but I have to keep the temperature around 52 to 55 degrees. It is only be running for a week so it may still need to regulate. My question is...is 52 to 55 degrees too low? Will this impact how long the cigars last?

Welcome to the boards! If you could head on over to the new member introductions area and let us know a little bit about who we are typing with that would go a long way.

As for your question, we would need to know more about your setup. What are you using to measure your humidity? What humidity device are you using? How long did you season this one for before adding cigars and did you season the shelves? I’m also assuming the humidity was running too high and therefore you dropped the temperature? Thanks!

Thanks for the response. Yes, I think I seasoned everything properly. I wiped down the shelves with distilled water, then filled the clear trey with water and let it sit for about 4 days. I ordered a digital hygrometer that hasn't arrived yet so right now I am using the one it came with which is just a needle and dial. The humidity is up around 75 which seems about right, however, the only way I can keep it in that range is to keep the temperature down low which seems off. One thing I am not sure of...once I season it do I leave the trey of water in at all times? Right now I am leaving it in there. Not sure if that is correct? The directions don't provide much insight.

I would set the temp around 68 to 70, and let the humidity acclimate. If you can’t get the humidity down, then I would add a tray of beads (from here https://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RH_Large_65) and let the beads absorb the excess moisture.

Also, I have the same model, I think. The dial and needle are typically crap and off a good bit. Yours may be the exception but I would judge it more once your other hygrometer arrives and you salt test it.

75% humidity is too high. Typically you should be shooting for something between 62 and 67 or so. I would suggest removing the trey of water, and after it comes to some sort of equilibrium, you should be able to bring the temp up. And to answer your initial question, there is nothing wrong with the low temp, but it will take a lot longer to age your sticks.

What he said! Those beads will regulate humidity by absorbing as well as letting it out as needed.
I third it and the motion carries! Go to heartfelt as instructed and make the best purchase a cigar collector can make.

Basically, what he said. :)

Get a Sensor Push, salt calibrate it, and you'll be set to make accurate RH and temp readings, without opening your humidor. They're pretty wonderful...