• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is it bad manners for a low count poster to start a pass?

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
I don't post much because i don't know much about cigars. I think all of my posts have been questions to which I received prompt and most excellent replys.

I like full bodied large ring guage maduros but don't know enough to be certain what I like.

I had a thought that a good way to get started was to begin a pass. I assume the initial risk and anybody that doesn't feel comfortable with my low post count can sit out and observe.

I post on a forum, twoplustwo.com, I am steamboatin and have almost 5,000 posts, if that makes any difference.

I would start the pass with a box of Saint Loius Rey Series G's and be really interested in what came back.

If it is bad manners, let me know, you won't hurt my feelings. My website is 967andy.com. I sell bank repo houses in Southern Indiana.

I don't post much because i don't know much about cigars. I think all of my posts have been questions to which I received prompt and most excellent replys.

I like full bodied large ring guage maduros but don't know enough to be certain what I like.

I had a thought that a good way to get started was to begin a pass. I assume the initial risk and anybody that doesn't feel comfortable with my low post count can sit out and observe.

I post on a forum, twoplustwo.com, I am steamboatin and have almost 5,000 posts, if that makes any difference.

I would start the pass with a box of Saint Loius Rey Series G's and be really interested in what came back.

If it is bad manners, let me know, you won't hurt my feelings. My website is 967andy.com. I sell bank repo houses in Southern Indiana.
Definitely not bad manners, rather the lack of experience will not help you to get a pass off the ground.

This is the season for passes, keep an eye on the forums and request to join a pass when one comes up. Participating will give you the experience and credibility .
needed to run a pass of your own and of course instill confidence in members to participate in your pass when they know a little more about you.

Brian

I would join a pass and see how things work around here before you host your own pass, but if you think you can get it off the ground and back home to you then more power to you. I will tell you that this board does not care about what you do or have done on other boards. If you do decide to do this than I would get with a member who has started passes before and ask him to help you put this thing together. So to answer your question about is it bad forum I don’t think so, you are the one who is going to be putting up the cigars for the pass, so if you jump into this without experience or help then your chance of getting your pass back home in one piece is slim. I wish you the best of luck!

Definitely not bad manners, rather the lack of experience will not help you to get a pass off the ground.

This is the season for passes, keep an eye on the forums and request to join a pass when one comes up. Participating will give you the experience and credibility .
needed to run a pass of your own and of course instill confidence in members to participate in your pass when they know a little more about you.

Brian

I am really new so forgive me in advance but this seems backwards so if you don't mind can you explain it a little?

It seemed to me, it would be a higher risk to let a newbie join a pass, because he could just take the cigars and run. If I started the pass, everyone joining would get cigars out before adding any of their own so if the box disapears before it arrives, they aren't out anything and if it disappears afterwards, they already received equal value. If my packaging sucks, which it won't, the first guy can just send it back or help me fix it. I sent some cigars to a buddy in Las Vegas to pay off a last longer prop bet in a poker tourney and he said they arrived in good condition so I think I can handle that end.

The problem with being new, is you don't know how things are supposed to work.

Read some of the closed passes and see how they worked from start to finish. That should help you get an idea what is involved. Logistically a new pass is a lot of work. Hopefully you can get in a pass, then host one at a later date.

Brian

I am really new so forgive me in advance but this seems backwards so if you don't mind can you explain it a little?

It seemed to me, it would be a higher risk to let a newbie join a pass, because he could just take the cigars and run. If I started the pass, everyone joining would get cigars out before adding any of their own so if the box disapears before it arrives, they aren't out anything and if it disappears afterwards, they already received equal value. If my packaging sucks, which it won't, the first guy can just send it back or help me fix it. I sent some cigars to a buddy in Las Vegas to pay off a last longer prop bet in a poker tourney and he said they arrived in good condition so I think I can handle that end.

The problem with being new, is you don't know how things are supposed to work.

Very good points.

I guess the same principle applies, you need to establish credibility with the board by participating more before the host of a pass will feel comfortable including you. This is just my 0.02 worth. However, as Cody mentioned, if you can team up with an established member, I guess you could get a pass going.

Brian

I sent a PM about joining CPI, that might help with the credibility.

I work on straight commission and I play poker so I have a pretty high tolerance for risk, so the risk that the box disappears isn't an issue that concerns me.

I sent a PM about joining CPI, that might help with the credibility.

I work on straight commission and I play poker so I have a pretty high tolerance for risk, so the risk that the box disappears isn't an issue that concerns me.

Here's a good linky that may help.
Also, you may want to join a pass first...then start one after a couple.
If you do get one going, you may want to have a FOG or two be the 'guides'.

Good luck.

I have a pass starting soon. Keep your eyes open and I will PM you before it is posted so you can submit for consideration with the reccommendation of an established member. Have you tried a blind 5er trade with an established member? Might help your chances if all goes well and they can be done quickly.

Good on you for asking the question. I think these guys have already explained the logistical problems with someone who isn't that well known hosting a pass, but you should definitely jump in on one if you can to get your feet wet. IMO, being in the process of hosting a pass right now, participating in several before was very helpful in knowing what to expect from running my own and dealing with any issues or concerns in an efficient and acceptable way. BTW, welcome to CP, I have been a member on 2p2 for quite a while myself...

If you're looking to try a variety of smokes to see what sparks your interest, I was gonna suggest the Newbie Sampler Trade thread but I see you've posted an inquiry there. You can't go wrong with that.
A Pass is a large undertaking and responsability and you might want to get a better familiarity with different products and Pass procedures.
Good luck and enjoy!
-Guy

The risk factor is beside the point. The statement in bold is why you should not start a pass now, at least not without some help. As a past host, you have the final say as far as put and takes go, and any disagreements (and they do happen, read some old pass threads) are settled at your discretion. If an issue arises in your pass, and you yourself admit that you don't know much about cigars, it's just trouble waiting to happen. I'd strongly encourage you to participate in a few other passes before starting your own.

Captain Leafheart is right in that what you really want is the Newbie Sampler Trade. Have you alreay done this? If not, it's a great way to try a variety of smokes and meet a long standing member.

I'm not a big pass fan; but, it seems the finished passes are like time machines. ;)

Transport back to the beginning and follow it through and see what happens and why.

Eshaw had a good point about credibility in the event of a contest. Have you considered a virtual pass? Also, a box doesn't give you many possible puts and takes. Two boxes, maybe. In order for a pass of this type to work, the box has to be sought after.

If the reason for the pass is that you want to try different cigars, I would suggest a fiver trade (or two). Post up your fiver in the Buy?Sell/Trade forum and ask for a blind fiver in trade from another member. It's a great way to try newer cigars and helps others get to know you.

If you'd like, I'll offer a blind fiver trade right now. Send me fiver of the SLRs (or whatever else you'd like) and I'll send you a fiver in return. Just PM me if you'd like to do this.

Captain Leafheart is right in that what you really want is the Newbie Sampler Trade. Have you alreay done this? If not, it's a great way to try a variety of smokes and meet a long standing member.

I'm not a big pass fan; but, it seems the finished passes are like time machines. ;)

Transport back to the beginning and follow it through and see what happens and why.

Eshaw had a good point about credibility in the event of a contest. Have you considered a virtual pass? Also, a box doesn't give you many possible puts and takes. Two boxes, maybe. In order for a pass of this type to work, the box has to be sought after.

I have PM'd the "Up Now" in the newbie sampler thread so that is started.

In order to cut down on confusion and problems, I planned to make the rules really simple because I have a feeling, the pass will be between newbies like me. Something along the lines of,"The big kids won't let us play pass".

I planned to get ten newbies or parties interested in Saint Louis Rey series G maduro's, ship twenty have them take two and put something they like of similar value. The sticks come back to me and in the unlikely event I have an issue with a put, the only negotiation will be between us, no third parties.

There doesn't seem to be any objections to me starting a pass, just concerns that no one will join or I might screw it up so I am inclined to go ahead and see if it flys. After all, if no one joins, I am stuck with twenty of my current favorite cigars. LOL, I can live with that consequence.

Steamboat,

Kudos to you for asking the question. That is encouraged.

I do have to ask, what is it that you are specifically talking about when you talk about "getting started." Is it participating in general, trading cigars, passing? Maybe all of these? There are good ways and better ways to initiate all of these.

Passing is one foundational activity of this forum and you've gotten plenty of really good advice.

If you choose to go ahead, then you can rest assured that the experienced members of CigarPass will be on hand to assist and troubleshoot. Just be prepared to listen to and consider the guidance you are offered. That is also fundamental to the smooth operation of this forum.

Wilkey

I have PM'd the "Up Now" in the newbie sampler thread so that is started.

In order to cut down on confusion and problems, I planned to make the rules really simple because I have a feeling, the pass will be between newbies like me. Something along the lines of,"The big kids won't let us play pass".

I planned to get ten newbies or parties interested in Saint Louis Rey series G maduro's, ship twenty have them take two and put something they like of similar value. The sticks come back to me and in the unlikely event I have an issue with a put, the only negotiation will be between us, no third parties.

There doesn't seem to be any objections to me starting a pass, just concerns that no one will join or I might screw it up so I am inclined to go ahead and see if it flys. After all, if no one joins, I am stuck with twenty of my current favorite cigars. LOL, I can live with that consequence.

Go for it ..... check out the rules in one of my Passes, use them if you want, and I'll help you new guys out along the way. I can't be a participant right now, not with a Pass already out there and SS coming up, but I'll be more than happy to help guide a bunch of newbs.

:cool:

...in the unlikely event I have an issue with a put, the only negotiation will be between us, no third parties.

Despite the advice given, you seem pretty set on doing this pass. It's your prerogative, and good luck with it. However, this statement that you made is somewhat incorrect. If you'll go back and read some old pass threads, you will find that the entire community is a third party to every pass. It's these extra eyes that help ensure that a pass is going smoothly and that nothing fishy is going on.

If you're hell-bent on doing this, please please please go back and read several old pass threads. Learn from them, and listen wisely to the advice given by the members here with multiple pass experience. It will serve you well. Pass problems tend to snowball into pissing matches, and I hate for that to damage people's reputations on this board.

...in the unlikely event I have an issue with a put, the only negotiation will be between us, no third parties.

Despite the advice given, you seem pretty set on doing this pass. It's your prerogative, and good luck with it. However, this statement that you made is somewhat incorrect. If you'll go back and read some old pass threads, you will find that the entire community is a third party to every pass. It's these extra eyes that help ensure that a pass is going smoothly and that nothing fishy is going on.

If you're hell-bent on doing this, please please please go back and read several old pass threads. Learn from them, and listen wisely to the advice given by the members here with multiple pass experience. It will serve you well. Pass problems tend to snowball into pissing matches, and I hate for that to damage people's reputations on this board.

I meant third party negotiations, like if I understand it correctly, during a regular pass, I can take something that the last person just put and where the controversy can arise is over the value, condition or etc. of my put or take.

My plan is to have them take two SLR Series G's and put anything they want. According to the rules of the pass in the sticky, value for value, etc.

I am definetely going to give it a try, I am really interested in the process and look forward to reading the feedback in the thread and tracking the progress of the package.

Hey, why not have like a grade school "Pass Program"?

1) Head Start <----- This would be steamboat :), oh...and me too.. :blush:
2) Kindergarten
3) Elementary
4) Middle School
5) Jr. High
6) Sr. High
7) College
etc...

Head start could be brand new newbies who've never been in a pass before headed by a more experienced higher classman. Kindergarten for second, maybe third pass, etc. Each pass could be based on the quality/cost of cigars (not sure if you want newbies who've only had a couple cigars getting an Opus X, right?). Create a set of rules specific for each year. Get a diploma signed by the Fogs for each year passed. So who wants to be the principal?? And no, you can't paddle!! :)

Just food for thought, thinking out loud, possibly a brain fart....