• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is it bad manners for a low count poster to start a pass?

My plan is to have them take two SLR Series G's and put anything they want. According to the rules of the pass in the sticky, value for value, etc.

You've already established that you're a new enthusiast, a new entity on this board, and seeking other generally new members of this board to participate in your pass. With all that understood in advance, and "caveat emptor" understood by all participants, then I would say you should be okay in getting your proposed pass going. I would think this is a win-win proposition for this cigar board community. They are allowed to openly see and judge the actions of new members without having to involve any risk of their own. To allow the current newest members to display their good qualities, or their thievery, at no cost to them.

The only real risk would be to you, as it is your box that would be out there for a participant to grab and skip away with. The only risk exposure to participants is that someone along the way might introduce fakes as their inputs into circulation. Quite frankly, that seems unlikely to me, as the cigars you are proposing to begin this pass with are of the $6-$7 retail cost. I just can't see anyone introducing a fake, knowingly or unknowingly, in trade for a cigar of that nominal cost. That nominal cost also mitigates any concern I'd have of anyone giving up lower value cigars in trade. It could happen, but then again, this is part of the "win-win" scenario of having participants "show their colors", so to speak.

Now then.... my only real suggestion is to offer up some more variety. Speaking entirely for myself, I join passes to try cigars that I have yet to sample. Part of the fun is to track the box and figure in my head what I will take when the box reaches me. To suffer the quick disappointment and the quick joy when cigars I covet are taken and added along the way before the box reaches me. You would want these box pass participants to only take two of the SLR Series G's? There's no variety in that or thrill of participation. Anyone could simply walk into their local B&M (or order online) and get those for less fuss & muss than box pass participation involves. The only one who would really benefit from this is you, as you would be the one to experience a box full of variety cigars at the end. Cigars that might change your perception of your likes, as they "open your world" to previously untried cigars. In effect, to provide you, and only you, with the true benefits of a box pass. Even if you allowed participants to partake in the variety of cigars input by others, the front end participants of the pass would get the short end of things.

In my opinion, this needs more cigar variety to get going. Another thing, a two cigar trade just isn't worth the hassle and the postage cost of a box pass for me. I generally trade 4-6 cigars per pass I participate in.

My plan is to have them take two SLR Series G's and put anything they want. According to the rules of the pass in the sticky, value for value, etc.

You've already established that you're a new enthusiast, a new entity on this board, and seeking other generally new members of this board to participate in your pass. With all that understood in advance, and "caveat emptor" understood by all participants, then I would say you should be okay in getting your proposed pass going. I would think this is a win-win proposition for this cigar board community. They are allowed to openly see and judge the actions of new members without having to involve any risk of their own. To allow the current newest members to display their good qualities, or their thievery, at no cost to them.

The only real risk would be to you, as it is your box that would be out there for a participant to grab and skip away with. The only risk exposure to participants is that someone alone the way might introduce fakes as their inputs into circulation. Quite frankly, that seems unlikely to me, as the cigars you are proposing to begin this pass with are of the $5-$6 retail cost. I just can't see anyone introducing a fake, knowingly or unknowingly, in trade for a cigar of that nominal cost. That nominal cost also mitigates any concern I'd have of anyone giving up lower value cigars in trade. It could happen, but then again, this is part of the "win-win" scenario of having participants "show their colors", so to speak.

Now then.... my only real suggestion is to offer up some more variety. Speaking entirely for myself, I join passes to try cigars that I have yet to sample yet. Part of the fun is to track the box and figure in my head what I will take when the box reaches me. To suffer the quick disappointment and the quick joy when cigars I covet are taken and added along the way before the box reaches me. You would want these box pass participants to only take two of the SLR Series G's? There's no variety in that or thrill of participation. Anyone could simply walk into their local B&M (or order online) and get those for less fuss & muss than box pass participation involves. The only one who would really benefit from this is you, as you would be the one to experience a box full of variety cigars at the end. Cigars that might change your perception on your likes, as they "open your world" to previously untried cigars. In effect, to provide you, and only you, with the true benefits of a box pass. Even if you allowed participants to partake in the variety of cigars input by others, the front end participants of the pass would get the short end of things.

In my opinion, this needs more cigar variety to get going. Another thing, a two cigar trade just isn't worth the hassle and the postage cost of a box pass for me. I generally trade 4-6 cigars per pass I participate in.

I understand and I agree completely but I have to start somewhere and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. It would be great to have a huge selection of wonderful cigars that everyone would be excited to trade but us (the newbies) wouldn't get to play and if a newbie like me started it, you would be extremely skeptical to join.

It never occurred to me that I was getting the best of the deal from the benefit of variety but that is accuratet. The other newbies get some benefit also because like you said, if they participate in this one and it goes well, they are more likely to be allowed into a much better pass and so will I.

Started the pass.

When the box arrives, check the contents to make sure it matches the inventory posted in this thread take two Saint Louis Ray's and put something(s) of equal value. ....The current inventory is 14 SLR Series G Churchill Maduros.

Due to the lack of variety and the cost of postage ( $10.00+ * 7 participants = $70.00) , I think this would be much better served as an opportunity to do 7 blind trades of 2 cigars each with 7 interested members. It equalizes the cost of postage between you and the traders.

Another question: If you wanted variety, why didn't you just buy a variety at your B&M, where you bought these?

It never occurred to me that I was getting the best of the deal from the benefit of variety but that is accuratet. The other newbies get some benefit also because like you said, if they participate in this one and it goes well, they are more likely to be allowed into a much better pass and so will I.
You seem to be missing my point here. I am going to be politefully blunt. Your proposed box pass offers little value to its participants. You are offering no cigar variety, the cost of postage will be high for just a two cigar trade and the "name recognition" of a good trade is just slightly less when only dealing with another new and unestablished member. In my eyes, I personally wouldn't participate in this as proposed, because it would cost more than it's worth, in both $$$ and effort, to me.

A participant would be better served, as previously suggested within this thread, to simply do a straight up trade with an established member of this (or any) cigar board. The postage cost of a small box is much less, the established member is likely to send along a better variety of higher quality cigars and the established member's stamp of approval of a quality trade would carry more weight within the community. This advice would likely serve you better as well.

Your enthusiasm is fetching, however. If you reconfigured your initial inventory to about 30 individually unique cigars and allowed a greater take/put amount, I think you might be able to get this off the ground with less feedback.

Hey Steamboat, if you look at the other threads in this section you'll see that I also wanted to just jump right in and start a pass.
You'll see some very similar responses in regards to trades and the newbie pass.

But, after posting the pass idea I was immediately invited to do a couple of fivers with some guys with more time and I was not dissapointed. I thought I passed on some great smokes only to get some better smokes sent back. Since then I have had the opportunity to trade with some more people and was invited to join in two passes. One was closed before I could accept but I did get into the other. I just sent the pass off yesterday and can't wait for the next one.

Even during the pass I was sending PMs to the host and receiving some very good advice on what to "put" for what I wanted to "take."

Try a blind fiver or check out the newbie pass. You won't be dissapointed. These guys will make you feel welcome here and immeditately begin to spoil you.

StinkiMonki

Hey Steamboat, if you look at the other threads in this section you'll see that I also wanted to just jump right in and start a pass.
You'll see some very similar responses in regards to trades and the newbie pass.

But, after posting the pass idea I was immediately invited to do a couple of fivers with some guys with more time and I was not dissapointed. I thought I passed on some great smokes only to get some better smokes sent back. Since then I have had the opportunity to trade with some more people and was invited to join in two passes. One was closed before I could accept but I did get into the other. I just sent the pass off yesterday and can't wait for the next one.

Even during the pass I was sending PMs to the host and receiving some very good advice on what to "put" for what I wanted to "take."

Try a blind fiver or check out the newbie pass. You won't be dissapointed. These guys will make you feel welcome here and immeditately begin to spoil you.

StinkiMonki

I am in the middle of a blind fiver and a newbie sampler trade.

Its about 4 AM at the moment, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night so I surf a little until i get sleepy again. I noticed there are ten replies to my pass thread but haven't read them yet. I wanted to read these replies first.

Depending upon the reponses in the pass thread, I am considering cancelling my pass, I have no interest in taking advantage of anyone.

I read the other thread and have cancelled my pass.

I entered this process with the wrong premise. I thought we were trading equal sticks because trading was fun. I didn't realize it was a business deal where value and selection played an important role.

I entered this process with the wrong premise. I thought we were trading equal sticks because trading was fun. I didn't realize it was a business deal where value and selection played an important role.
Sigh, I don't think you are understanding. Value and selection make it worthwhile. It takes a small chunk of change and effort to ship that box around. Often times, it would be a lot cheaper for any of us to just walk into our local cigar shop and buy the darn cigars ourselves. Box passes tend to have cigars that are sometimes hard to procure from local shops. Or cigars that members have stored and aged in favorable conditions. They generally have at least a lil' bit of enticement to them. Otherwise, to be blunt, "trading equal sticks because trading was fun" is simply not true. Trading a regular production and readily available $6 cigar (and only that type of cigar) for one of like value and availability really isn't fun. Sorry, but it isn't. As an example, to be blunt (but not intending to be mean), I just cannot see myself getting excited about rushing off to the post office and pay $10-$20 shipping to trade two Padron 3000s for two CAO Golds.

Sigh, I don't think you are understanding. Value and selection make it worthwhile. It takes a small chunk of change and effort to ship that box around. Often times, it would be a lot cheaper for any of us to just walk into our local cigar shop and buy the darn cigars ourselves. Box passes tend to have cigars that are sometimes hard to procure from local shops. Or cigars that members have stored and aged in favorable conditions. They generally have at least a lil' bit of enticement to them. Otherwise, to be blunt, "trading equal sticks because trading was fun" is simply not true. Trading a regular production and readily available $6 cigar (and only that type of cigar) for one of like value and availability really isn't fun. Sorry, but it isn't. As an example, to be blunt (but not intending to be mean), I just cannot see myself getting excited about rushing off to the post office and pay $10-$20 shipping to trade two Padron 3000s for two CAO Golds.

I understand perfectly, I thought doing a pass would be fun and the value was in the activity of trading. I didn't care how much it cost to mail the box and really had zero concern for the value of what I received. I thought it would be interesting activity, fun to watch in progress and discuss.

Your post confirms that cigar passes aren't just for fun and the value is in the inventory. It appears the fun trades are one on one, blind trades, etc. and cigar passes are serious business.

I plan to do a cigar pass but I will wait until I have sufficient inventory to make it interesting. My new coolidor seems to be working out just fine so I now have proper storage and can start aquiring a few cigars.