• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is the ISOM market stagnant/inferior? And a couple questions...

maverickmage said:

In regards to innovation, I struggle to understand the definition in the cigar world.  Rocky Patel puts something new on the market every week it seems....is that innovative?  Like Freebern said, it's tobacco, you grow it, harvest it, age it, roll it, and smoke it.  

I think you guys are breaking it down too simplistically.  If there were no innovation with cigars, all the cigars would probably taste similar... in which case, why bother smoking a $10 stick over a $2 stick?  There's innovation in various points.  It could be a change in rolling method, it could be different regional tobaccos, different blend combinations, different fermentation method, different growing method, etc...  

Sure, you have places like Rocky Patel creates some blah cigars, but new cigars do have its merits.  It's part of the reason why people goes to cigar trade shows and whatnot.  To see what new cigars are coming out.  I think places like LFD, Illusione, and even CAO are some better examples.

I can accept that argument, and see your point.  I especially like your point of LFD being innovative.  I 100% agree that they seem to do it right.  I'm not saying to "not be" innovative and that I won't accept change.  I'm honestly saying that I don't quite know what it means to be innovative in this business.  But I do like your examples.

I havd smoke lots of CC (under 2 years) this year and I never had even one that was unsmokable because of amonia. I would say Light this has a very valid point with his post. Has for the tightness of CCs I think it is overhyped. I mean how about the wind tunnel some NCs gives you ? Quality of construction goes both ways IMO.

Has for the innovation part I'd say CC already have very good blends and results ans with the limited availability of the tobacco why risk getting an inferior results? They do get out new EL and RE each year tough.

Louich, you stole my thunder. I was going to say that Cuba gets innovative once a year when they release their EL's, RE's and sometimes GR and Reservas. Heck once in a while we get lucky with the likes of BHK's and 1966's.

To be honest, I like it that way. At least you know what your getting and for the most part it's very consistent. Everyone has choices when buying cigars and you buy CC's because you enjoy them if not there's a ton of choices in the American Market to choose from. Cuba has a product that sells itself and in my opinion have to be careful where their limited resources go as they can't afford to constantly mess around with different blends. However, they're damn ring gauges continue to get bigger which makes no sense to me but does to their bottom line. People are buying them including me. 

I think that the push for innovation for other cigar makers is driven by the need to set themselves apart to sell their cigars with the exception of a few that have top notch quality. Funny how many manufactures always try to use either Cuban blend, seed or whatever to compare their product to CC's. 

And BBS, I would love to try a Cuban/Nic/Dom blend cigar sometime in my future especially if made by Padron.  :thumbs: Now look into your crystal ball and let us know when the embargo will be lifted - LOL. 

Again smoke what you like.

Garbanz, sit back and relax. This is the best cigar forum on the net hands down and BBS and Doc are two great BOTL's. No need walk in our house with muddy feet and make a mess.  ;)

Right on (on all points) Kris!

Garbandz, notice how no kne calls themselves aficionados here ? It ia because no one need recognition we know who the true connaisseur are and we listen (read) closely what they post.

Light this! said:
And BBS, I would love to try a Cuban/Nic/Dom blend cigar sometime in my future especially if made by Padron.  :thumbs: Now look into your crystal ball and let us know when the embargo will be lifted - LOL. 

All I can say there is..... :whistling:   And no, dammit, I don't know when it will be.... :p

re : plugged Cuban cigars .

I don't smoke a lot of cigars ... perhaps 200 a year ... but I don't remember the last time I got a plugged one ... has been years .

derrek

If anything, Cuba has been too inventive over the past 10 years. Prizing limited and regional editions over traditional cigars, that are usually cut. Every time I see a list of discontinued cigars from Habanos, it's like all my favorite cigars suddenly became the hot blonde who runs uphill from the monster in a horror flick. 

Mark Twain said:
If anything, Cuba has been too inventive over the past 10 years. Prizing limited and regional editions over traditional cigars, that are usually cut. Every time I see a list of discontinued cigars from Habanos, it's like all my favorite cigars suddenly became the hot blonde who runs uphill from the monster in a horror flick. 

Agree!  When EL's first came out the big question was were they actually maduro since the EL's had dark wrappers.  

Now I have a bunch of cigars that have been discontinued and they sit in the humi cause I don't want to smoke my last cigar which has been cut and was one of my favorites.  I will comment that some of the things those communisatas do seem to lag the rest of the industry.  Since I don't go to Europe as much anymore it doesn't hit my radar as much.