• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is there a limit to how long you can age cigars?

I am looking to upgrade my LaserDisc player...How do you like that HD-DVD ?

I am looking to upgrade my LaserDisc player...How do you like that HD-DVD ?

Dan, it's really great.... :laugh: And, honestly, the upconverting engine in that Toshiba is absolutely one of the best I've seen for smoothing out DVD's on a big screen. I still use it quite a bit...... :p

Can I have your Laserdisc Dan? My 8mm projector is broken again.

the cigar don't last for long and its life is very short..So you have to use it soon ..

is there a time limit....YES YES YES!!!!

you can only age them until you smoke them, for me that is about a week.....

T

To answer OP, if you put a cigar in a vacuum tube and open it up 100 yrs later, It will taste the same as the day you sealed it. I think Wilkey wrote about this a while back somewhere. It's all about storage.

Personally, I don't think there is a set time table if you are set on smoking all your stash. I find that a cigar is at its pinnacle when there is no more refinements that can be made, regardless of how long that takes. And for each person, finding that balance is a subjective mark. Like fine wine, some prefer to experience the richness in relative youth to the aged complexity; the degree in which you find your utility varies. I used to enjoy the big bold flavors in a young cigar and took the tannins as the cost. Now, I find that I very much enjoy the subtleties of various distinct flavors in aged cigars - almost pure flavors without the jet fuel feeling in the nose.

As for NCs, I have found some blends just don't stand up to aging. Several yrs and they go flat. Broadleaf is a good example IMO. As for Padron, boy, if you can tell the difference between pre-serial and current, good for you. 8yrs aged? f-me. I'll smoke that now, thank you.

All relative.

Recently bought some Padron 64 with 5-6 years on them. Terrible. I smoked two and tossed the rest in the garbage.

I've decided to forgo purchasing boxes and just purchase my cigars in fiver's or 10 at a time. With so many cigars to choose from in my humidor a five pack of cigars can last me over a year. Heck, I just finished smoking my last Bolivar RC Tubos tonight. These cigars came in a box of 10 which I purchased two years ago.

I've decided to forgo purchasing boxes and just purchase my cigars in fiver's or 10 at a time. With so many cigars to choose from in my humidor a five pack of cigars can last me over a year. Heck, I just finished smoking my last Bolivar RC Tubos tonight. These cigars came in a box of 10 which I purchased two years ago.

I have been leaning towards doing this recently.

I have been leaning towards doing this recently.

This is they way I have always done it. I will be buying some boxes soon to age while I am deployed.

Tim

If you're planning on aging them just don't be stupid like I was and buy a 50 ct humi. It wont take long until you need more room. ;) Heck, even if you're not going to age them, don't be stupid like I was. :)

Read more Matt ;)

In about every thread that start with: I' starting this hobby and getting a humidor. Someone pops in an say get a coolidor or something bigger, trust me. loll

I bought two 100+ count in my first 2 months (coolidor are not that cute to look at....yeah I'm shallow like that lol)

Edit
Recently bought some Padron 64 with 5-6 years on them. Terrible. I smoked two and tossed the rest in the garbage.

people here seem to loves thos so ....

(I'M jumping Moe on that lol): addy in the profile lol

The higher you can keep your humidity and prevent mold with NCs, the more gracefully they age. It is closer to preserving than what some may call aging, which is an attempt to cause some sort of activity which alters the fresh profile and is not not related to preserving. I like to keep the humidity about 69-70 but I am getting to old and cranky to constantly hover over a hygrometer, opening boxes, etc. 65rh and to me, they lose oleoresins, and you get a flat cigar after a number of years.

I do think that some of Pepins older sticks aged real well due to him using fairly young tobacco.