• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is this normal

2labs

Two weeks ago I was given a gift of two cigars. I know they came out of the same box and were the same age. Had the first one a week ago and it was terrible. One of the worst cigars I have ever smoked. Draw uneven, burn uneven, and the wrapper fell of as I was smoking it. Today I was not sure how long I would have to smoke so I decided one more try. Wow am I glad. The second one was great. Not the best but very good. Great draw and the taste was great. Is this normal??? I am used to smoking Fuente and they have all been good, not great, but always the same. I am sorry if I misused terms.

yup, happens.
sorry to hear about it. but, cigars are a natural handmade product. everynow and then one finds a few duds.

The label says Cohiba Republica Dominicana. It is the yellow, black, and white label. They were robustos. I have found some info. on the yellow label and most of it is not good. I just talked to the guy that gave them to me. He said he bought them at a flea market in the dominican republic a few weeks back. $25/box

There's your first problem! j/k

2labs said:
The label says Cohiba Republica Dominicana. It is the yellow, black, and white label. They were robustos. I have found some info. on the yellow label and most of it is not good. I just talked to the guy that gave them to me. He said he bought them at a flea market in the dominican republic a few weeks back. $25/box
[snapback]178107[/snapback]​

Did he buy them from a guy with a boat....... LOL

2labs said:
[snapback]178107[/snapback]​

There is your problem...they just aren't very good smokes to begin with (IMHO) I have had a few of them, and have found uneven burns and bad taste in each, so the fact that you got a good one is probably the strange thing, not the fact that you had a bad one.

I hope it is something that happens occasionally- I have had 2 in the last week that I thought were supposed to be good smokes, and I was severly disappointed! One was a Hoyo Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight and the other was a Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro. I might try them again, but awhile ago I told myself if I got a bum cigar, I wouldn't redo them. Too many to try without having to retry ones I didn't like!

But these might have been cigars I didn't let settle in my humidor after having them shipped (and bombed!) to me, so I might give them a second chance... the burn tunneled under the wrapper and I started getting a bad taste on both.

Swissy said:
I hope it is something that happens occasionally- I have had 2 in the last week that I thought were supposed to be good smokes, and I was severly disappointed! One was a Hoyo Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight and the other was a Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro. I might try them again, but awhile ago I told myself if I got a bum cigar, I wouldn't redo them. Too many to try without having to retry ones I didn't like!

But these might have been cigars I didn't let settle in my humidor after having them shipped (and bombed!) to me, so I might give them a second chance... the burn tunneled under the wrapper and I started getting a bad taste on both.
[snapback]178173[/snapback]​

Hey swissy...make sure to give the Hoyo and R&J another chance...I've had a few of both and they were all pretty dang good.

opusxfiles said:
Hey swissy...make sure to give the Hoyo and R&J another chance...I've had a few of both and they were all pretty dang good.
[snapback]178176[/snapback]​

Thats what I thought.. i figure I didn't let them settle after shipping so I'll see if I can get another sample of each and try them. I saw the 1066 locally, but not the RyJ- next order I'll try and remember to throw one in.

Swissy said:
... the burn tunneled under the wrapper and I started getting a bad taste on both.

FOGs'll correct me if I misspeak, but I've seen two causes for this:

- Too dry (from shipping)

- Smoking too fast
IE - when you go too fast with a cigar the inside heats up and burns faster than the wrapper can match, hence teh tunnelling. The build up of tars and some stale smoke in the leaves causes the acrid taste.

Could be either/or a combination of these. I would vote to give them another chance, though.

I love those 1066 Dark Knights. I've still got one from '01 in my humidor.

Treamayne said:
Swissy said:
... the burn tunneled under the wrapper and I started getting a bad taste on both.

- Smoking too fast
IE - when you go too fast with a cigar the inside heats up and burns faster than the wrapper can match, hence teh tunnelling. The build up of tars and some stale smoke in the leaves causes the acrid taste.

Could be either/or a combination of these. I would vote to give them another chance, though.
[snapback]178195[/snapback]​

I would say yes, but I'm not no FOG

Treamayne said:

- Smoking too fast

[snapback]178195[/snapback]​

I thought about the 'too fast' option as well, but didn't think this was the case. I'm not a fast cigar'er to begin with, and when I'm trying something new I try to take my time to enjoy it, as well as experience everything about it..so slower is better in my book. BUT... with the shipping issue (strange BOTH cigars I had tunnel on me were only about 2 days old in my humidor) that might be a tad more of an issue I guess.

Good thing is, my coolidor is about to go into full operation, and so now I can start adding more cigars, and once I get enough (which after the Newbie War I'm way full as it is!) the shipping issue shouldn't be an issue - I'll be able to select a smoke that has settled down instead of a freshly shipped one.

So I'll give 'em another chance, if I can fit them into the rotation somewhere! I have so many great cigars to try now, I don't know where to begin! (yes I do... Padron '26 here I come!!) Strange thing about a war... I WANT to be bombed in this one! Oh, the wild ways of things.

I'll second the reserve Maduros.Now that the collection is getting larger smoke the stuff thats been in the humidor the longest first.
they should be more evened out and burn better.

Well, will my luck ever go bad... (hopefully not!)

I was downtown today, and stopped by the local shop... and lo and behold, there was a Excalibur 1066. Bought it! And then off to the airport to pick up my wife, and what did she have for me, but a RyJ Reserve maduro!

Looks like I'll HAVE to give them a second chance. And with my humidor loaded to the gills, it will be no problem to let them sit awhile.

I'm still getting over the fact that I joined here, and my 'reward' is getting boxes of cigars in the mail??!?! And the newbie war- I'm being rewarded for being a mouthy SOB, sending off 'bombs' that pale in comparison to what the FOG's have? Someday... when my coolidor is full, I'll be able to do just that myself. But...

wow what a great place... fun, info and cigars. Who needs more?

Swissy said:
Well, will my luck ever go bad... (hopefully not!)

I was downtown today, and stopped by the local shop... and lo and behold, there was a Excalibur 1066. Bought it! And then off to the airport to pick up my wife, and what did she have for me, but a RyJ Reserve maduro!

Looks like I'll HAVE to give them a second chance. And with my humidor loaded to the gills, it will be no problem to let them sit awhile.

I'm still getting over the fact that I joined here, and my 'reward' is getting boxes of cigars in the mail??!?! And the newbie war- I'm being rewarded for being a mouthy SOB, sending off 'bombs' that pale in comparison to what the FOG's have? Someday... when my coolidor is full, I'll be able to do just that myself. But...

wow what a great place... fun, info and cigars. Who needs more?
[snapback]178384[/snapback]​

dude..i have to back you up on this one...I love it here.