• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It's about time.... Contest Inside!

The walkway does look great Paul. :thumbs:  I'm pretty sure I lied to you in the PM.  But not on purpose. :rolleyes: Story to follow.

Initially I made an educated guess that the distance between the columns on Paul's deck was 8' and used it to help estimate the overall length of the walkway and the width of a stair tread (9") to estimate the walkway width.  That must have been somewhere around my first guess of 350.  I started using a spreadsheet to keep up with all the guesses and then started sorting them to find unused numbers.  I would guess in an unused range.

I told Paul in the PM that I had randomly guessed 433 later on from the spreadsheet but as it turns out that's not the case.  It was bothering me because I had in my head that mid 400's was closer to my calculations.  I went back through the thread and found the figures Paul gave for depth (7") and number of yards (2.5) of crushed stone. I still have the figures stored in the calculator on my old Palm PDA.  If you take the area of a 2.5 cubic yard block that is 7" deep and divide by the average area of the two blocks you get 432.8.  I'm not positive but I think I rounded up to 433 from there.  That was also my next guess after Paul gave the final 2.5 yard figure.  What's hard for me to believe is that it came out to almost the block.

What's even more amazing and lucky for me is that fjldo missed it by 1! 

Thanks for the contest Paul.  Did you know you were giving the answer when you gave us those last figures?

LARRY YOU AMAZE ME... LOL

No I had no Idea and didn't even figure that the yards of stone/depth of the hole would give it away. WOW! If you think about it closer that half is most likely taken the place of the 5 blocks I trimmed at the end by the driveway. 

Nice work brother,
Paul

Congrats Larry!!

Thanks for the fun Paul, it looks great!!

What?  I can't believe my guess of 1 brick didn't win!  Oh well...easy come...easy go.

Great work Paul.  Hope you celebrated with a cold beer and cigar.

LarryH said:
The walkway does look great Paul. :thumbs:  I'm pretty sure I lied to you in the PM.  But not on purpose. :rolleyes: Story to follow.

Initially I made an educated guess that the distance between the columns on Paul's deck was 8' and used it to help estimate the overall length of the walkway and the width of a stair tread (9") to estimate the walkway width.  That must have been somewhere around my first guess of 350.  I started using a spreadsheet to keep up with all the guesses and then started sorting them to find unused numbers.  I would guess in an unused range.

I told Paul in the PM that I had randomly guessed 433 later on from the spreadsheet but as it turns out that's not the case.  It was bothering me because I had in my head that mid 400's was closer to my calculations.  I went back through the thread and found the figures Paul gave for depth (7") and number of yards (2.5) of crushed stone. I still have the figures stored in the calculator on my old Palm PDA.  If you take the area of a 2.5 cubic yard block that is 7" deep and divide by the average area of the two blocks you get 432.8.  I'm not positive but I think I rounded up to 433 from there.  That was also my next guess after Paul gave the final 2.5 yard figure.  What's hard for me to believe is that it came out to almost the block.

Thanks for the contest Paul.  Did you know you were giving the answer when you gave us those last figures?

As Billy Madison Said: Hes good!

http://youtu.be/4BMO-Ll_uj4

The walkway does look great Paul. :thumbs: I'm pretty sure I lied to you in the PM. But not on purpose. :rolleyes: Story to follow.

Initially I made an educated guess that the distance between the columns on Paul's deck was 8' and used it to help estimate the overall length of the walkway and the width of a stair tread (9") to estimate the walkway width. That must have been somewhere around my first guess of 350. I started using a spreadsheet to keep up with all the guesses and then started sorting them to find unused numbers. I would guess in an unused range.

I told Paul in the PM that I had randomly guessed 433 later on from the spreadsheet but as it turns out that's not the case. It was bothering me because I had in my head that mid 400's was closer to my calculations. I went back through the thread and found the figures Paul gave for depth (7") and number of yards (2.5) of crushed stone. I still have the figures stored in the calculator on my old Palm PDA. If you take the area of a 2.5 cubic yard block that is 7" deep and divide by the average area of the two blocks you get 432.8. I'm not positive but I think I rounded up to 433 from there. That was also my next guess after Paul gave the final 2.5 yard figure. What's hard for me to believe is that it came out to almost the block.

Thanks for the contest Paul. Did you know you were giving the answer when you gave us those last figures?

I'll give you the same mantra I use when I play golf....I'd rather be lucky than good!!!...lol

433!!

Did I win?  Haha, congrats Larry! 

Paul that is impressive work.  The wife and I were gonna lay our own patio last year but we ended up just going poured concrete because I didn't trust myself to do it correctly.  It ended up coming out beautifully and I'm glad I had someone do it for us, but I know there is great reward in doing renovation work yourself. We've done plenty in our place!

bluue13 said:
433!!

Did I win?  Haha, congrats Larry! 

Paul that is impressive work.  The wife and I were gonna lay our own patio last year but we ended up just going poured concrete because I didn't trust myself to do it correctly.  It ended up coming out beautifully and I'm glad I had someone do it for us, but I know there is great reward in doing renovation work yourself. We've done plenty in our place!

I appreciate that and yes I hear yea. We have pretty much remodeled our entire house and property our selves over the last 4+ years. I love that sense of accomplishment! 

coopsdeloops said:
That's some crazy math. Like 10 sticks worth larry. And im asian!!!
Thanks coops. When you combine an engineer and a DIY'er those kinds of caclculations come pretty easy.

My prize arrived yesterday Paul. That was a very generous package. Thank You very much!

LarryH said:

That's some crazy math. Like 10 sticks worth larry. And im asian!!!
Thanks coops. When you combine an engineer and a DIY'er those kinds of caclculations come pretty easy.

My prize arrived yesterday Paul. That was a very generous package. Thank You very much!

Your welcome and thanks for playing!

Paul

Wow... Nice job Larry! Who do you like in todays football games?  :laugh:

Great job on the walkway Paul. It came out amazing !

Final pic I just got around to uploading!

1385549_614881195231200_1482835130_n.jpg

1381210_614881208564532_1552114252_n.jpg

1383868_614881221897864_1387431527_n.jpg

1377362_614881241897862_1066925861_n.jpg

Thanks again everyone for playing and all the help and motivation!

Paul 

Looks great! The smoke stack to the left of the house.....is that so you can smoke cigars in the house and have proper ventilation??? Ha! Good job.