• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It's 'Batten down the hatches' time

geldor1

Can't Re- Member
Schools are being closed tomorrow, in preparation to be used as evacuation shelters.

Hospitals are on high alert. Yep, that’s where I work. :(

Banks will be closed on Friday.

The local store shelves are bare in the bottled water section.

Made a final dash to Sam’s Club and there wasn’t a shopping cart in sight that didn’t have some type of bottled water in the basket. (And NO, this one is out of the Sam’s-a-dor, I already checked a couple of weeks ago)

Things to have on hand, which we don’t normally think too much about.

Cash - If the power is out and the banks closed, ATM’s & CC machines do not work.

Water – Got to have something to drink. You can use the water stored in your water heater to bath.

Propane – Use the grill to cook if the power stays out.

Ice – Load up the freezer with gallon jugs of water to freeze. Keeps the temp down and when it melts, you have water to drink if the power is out any length of time.

Gasoline - Make sure you have a full tank.

You can also use the same rules for a winter storm.

But, there aren't too many of those down here. :sign:

Yep, a few additions here in Texas we add:

1. at least 4 good bottles of whiskey, some rum and hurricane mix, for the hurricane party.

Last hurricane that came through here, a friend and I took his 14' john boat into Galveston Bay when there was about a 9' storm surge, and 8' chop in the bay, we didn't get too far before we sobered up and turned around, about 10 feet into the bay, haha. :D We like our hurricane parties. :p

All we get are e-quakes -- boring... I've always wanted to experience a real storm. Good luck. :)

Yep, good luck to you folks in Florida!! Be safe!

I have to admit, up here in Va. we're a little nervous about this one-two punch after Izzy last year!!!

I prepared for the worst just in case!

Picking up a digital scanner tomorrow, should be interesting listening this weekend none the less.

My sister moved to Sarasota a year ago, about three hours drive right below where it's predicted to hit.
Hope ya'all come out ok.

Keeping the fingers crossed for you geldor1 :( Be careful and don't be sitting on top of your house in a lawn chair smoking a good cigar with sandbags lined up to read 'no fear' now. :D

MilesMingusMonk said:
Looks like it's hitting Havana, Cuba ... :(
should be hitting Cuba within the hour

Here is the weather for Havana:

Tonight: Very windy with rain, heavy at times. Low 73F. Winds ESE at 70 to 90 mph, becoming WSW and diminishing to 50 to 70 mph. Rainfall over two inches.

Tomorrow: Very windy with thunderstorms - some storms may contain locally heavy rain, especially in the morning. High 87F. SSW winds at 40 to 60 mph, diminishing to 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall over two inches.

Thank God tobacco plants are strong

Geldor and I are stones throw apart...I'll be working through the storm..wife same thing as she is an ER nurse....keeping fingers crossed

-P-

AT 8 PM EDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE CHARLEY WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 21.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 82.3 WEST OR JUST EAST OF THE
ISLE OF YOUTH CUBA. THIS IS ALSO ABOUT 90 MILES...145 KM...SOUTH
OF HAVANA CUBA.

CHARLEY IS NOW MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 17 MPH
...27 KM/HR. A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTH IS EXPECTED DURING
THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...CHARLEY IS EXPECTED TO
PASS NEAR HAVANA LATER TONIGHT OR EARLY FRIDAY MORNING
...AND THEN
MOVE INTO THE SOUTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO. WEATHER CONDITIONS
SHOULD CONTINUE TO DETERIORATE OVER WESTERN CUBA DURING THE NEXT
FEW HOURS.

other1 said:
I wonder if it will effect cigar production if it hits Cuba hard..?
Well, I don't know much about production and storms, but it looks as if Cuba took a good beating.

Charley's winds rose to 105 mph as it passed the Isle of Youth, south of the Cuban mainland, heading toward the Havana area and the fragile Florida Keys island chain beyond.

and...

The news is not good. ... By the looks of it we will have to face a category three hurricane," Cuban weather forecaster Jose Rubiera said in a television broadcast, referring to the five-category Saffir-Simpson scale used to rate hurricanes.

A category three storm, with winds between 111-130 mph, can blow down large trees, destroy mobile homes and flood low-lying coastlines up to 8 miles inland.

The same article said that ten Flordia counties consisting of up to 600,000 were told to evacuate.

Well, I think the wifey and myself are ready. Got beer, ceegars, food, cash, water, beer, ceegars, food, cash, water, beer, ceegars, food, cash, water, beer, ceegars, food, cash, water, beer, ceegars, food, cash, water...... :D :thumbs: :p

Good luck goes out for you all on the south east corner. :thumbs:

I lived in the St Pete Clearwater area for 3 years. Still have friends there. My mother lives in Englewood near Fort Myers, Cousins near Fort Lauderdale.Plus the FL group of CP.
Good luck to all in the area. Hope the storm passes quickly.

Bill

:( Good Luck everyone in the path of this storm. I think we are supposed to get some of the outer rain, but thats it. Be safe, and I will keep you all in my prayers!

Back