• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I've been grounded from cigars

sigar_zealot

FattyMcButterPants
I had a little spinal fusion surgery on Wednesday afternoon (L-4 L-5). My surgeon was able to fuse the vertebrae together using a green plastic clamp. I'm already up walking around, we even went to the mall yesterday and did some wine shopping for her and scotch shopping for me. So last night I head out back with my glass of scotch and a cigar only to find out she really doesn't want me to smoke.

Along with being quite good looking my wife is intelligent and a hard working registered nurse. I didn't put up a fight as she seemed serious about me not smoking and I didn't want to upset her. I guess I'm on break until Nov 12th when I will be in Las Vegas for the Manny Pacquiau fight.

If anyone else is in town for the fight feel free to look me up for a smoke and a drink or maybe even some gambling. As far as the surgery goes I am doing great. The whole grounding thing shocked me and I have to say I"m a little turned on that she put her foot down and took charge. I love me a smart, good looking woman that won't take no for an answer.

Yeah, I'm pounding down Valium and Percocet like tic tacs so she took my glass of scotch as well.
What the hell man? Damn fun Nazi!

Well hope the recovery goes well. Sounds like she is looking out for your best interests, can't fault her for that right? I'm sure she will let you enjoy both once your recovery is over.

I hear ya brother!

I both love it and hate it at the same time when my wife asserts herself.

Glad the surgery was successful and that you're 100% in no time.

I'm married to an RN as well. They're a pain in the ass. I solved the problem, though. I made myself more valuable dead than alive. She leaves me alone now.

Doc.

I had a Cervical Fusion last year. All went pretty well, and I was issued "bone growth stimulator". An electromagnetic gizmo I wore for so many hours a day.
Apparently, the magnetic field increases bloodflow which aids in healing. That caused quite a ruckus with the insurance company, but they did eventually pay for it.
My surgeon said that my healing was at risk because I smoked, and because my blood sugar was running high. I did smoke (not saying you should) but all went well,
with great fusion achieved. I suspect the device really did help.

Hope all goes well, and that two years from know you can say it helped tremendously.

Glad you got through your procedure, Randy.

Hey, shall we start planning for Whiskyfest SF '12?

Recover quick Randy!

Scotch and cigars will come in good time...
Although, Scotch and painkillers might ease the pain of your Colts season so far!

Take care,
Rob

Got to love Doc for his "take" on things. I probably need to have my back looked at, but so far I manage. Glad to hear you are up and about.

I'm lucky to have a wife and kids that love me enough to force me into doing the right thing to get healthy. And for that I am very grateful. She also helped write the check to Ray for another bottle of Laphroaig 25 year old to help celebrate.

Khari we're all over that trip to San Fran next year with you and your wife. I can hardly wait!

Having just tied the knot with a future Speach Language Pathologist, I hear all the time what the effects of smoke and nicotine can do to your larynx and vocal cords. Getting her to understand that it's a hobby, not an addiction, she reminds me less and less.

We set up boundaries long ago when I first told her about cigars, that it was better to enjoy something that you love while you're here, than forsake all of what life has to offer in an effort to live 2-3 more years.

I love her to death, as I'm sure you love yours. I just take the reminders as an expression of how much they love us. :D

-Jimmy

Sounds like you are healing well. Good that your wife and kids love you enough to make you stop smoking and drinking while you are getting back to 100%.

You will be smoking and drinking again in no time.

Since it's the spine that is the area you are having surgery on, having to wait on cigars and a drink would be more beneficial in the long run.

No spinee, no standee.

It's funny how when you're trying not to smoke everything under the sun reminds you of one of your favorite times to enjoy a cigar. We're having near perfect weather right now which is my #1 favorite time to enjoy a cigar by the pool. After a nice dinner, with a glass of port wine, while watching RedZone yesterday to name a few.

Thanks for letting me vent fellas. I am blessed to have a family that cares enough to step up and say something. My wife of almost 29 years is a real keeper.