• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I've got a question, any help?

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
So I've got this sterling silver necklace that I've had for over 8 years now, I've wore it 24/7 since I've gotten it, maybe taking it off 10 times in 8 years. But I removed about a month ago and placed it in a metal cleaning solution for jewelry and it came out looking like it was brand new. But as I stated in a recent post I broke my shoulder and happen to get an x-ray with it on and thought nothing of it. But yesterday I removed it again for an MRI and the metal is now darkened and looks tarnished and dingy. This afternoon I took it off again and placed in the cleaning solution once again but to no avail it still looks damaged. So I guess my question is; could having it on when I got the x-ray be the cause of the dingy, tarnished look? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the tarnished look or how to clean it up making it look like it once did? ???

Thanks everyone for taking the time,

WKOTI

Nah. Just buff it. Unless, it's not solid silver................

Find a container large enough to immerse the necklace. Put a piece of aluminium foil into the container and add hot water and salt. Dip the silver into the solution and after a few seconds it will become white and shining.

Find a container large enough to immerse the necklace. Put a piece of aluminium foil into the container and add hot water and salt. Dip the silver into the solution and after a few seconds it will become white and shining.

That is the coolest thing I've read about this so far, I will have to give it a try!!!

Then put the tin foil on your head and pray the government doesn't scan your brain! :whistling: :laugh:

What solution did you originally use?

Did you 'wash' it with soap and water afterwards?

I use silver cleaner (got it at Target) and then rise it with cold water.

Dips contain an acid. Each time you dip, you destroy some of the luster, or polish on the metal.
You also want to wash with soap and water after dipping.

Get a tube of "Flitz" metal polish. It is an excellent polish, and inhibits oxidation for quite a while.
Always best to avoid dipping or polishing any fine silver item.

If you must dip, find a product called "Jewelluster" it is the best on the market. Then, dip as quickly as possible.

In the coin market, there is a product called "MS70" which is a phenomenal detergent, and contains no acid.

Dips contain an acid. Each time you dip, you destroy some of the luster, or polish on the metal.

Get a tube of "Flitz" metal polish. It is an excellent polish, and inhibits oxidation for quite a while.

If you must dip, find a product called "Jewelluster" it is the best on the market. Then, dip as quickly as possible.

In the coin market, there is a product called "MS70" which is a phenomenal detergent, and contains no acid.

YUP!

There's also a 'ultra - sonic' cleaner that can be used. (I think this is based on the 'foil' principle just with electricty.

Most jewelry stores will clean stuff for you at n/c...if they are any good.

You could also get one and not have to worry about the store!

Sounds like MacGyver just stopped by. I may find a silver necklace and try this myself.

YUP!

There's also a 'ultra - sonic' cleaner that can be used. (I think this is based on the 'foil' principle just with electricty.

Most jewelry stores will clean stuff for you at n/c...if they are any good.

You could also get one and not have to worry about the store!

I have to add to this great wealth of knowledge that there are also professional silver polishing places that I am sure could help you restore that "enamel" to the piece.

The absolute BEST cleaner out is Mother's Billet Metal Polish. I've got some I can send you. I'm not going to rant or rave; but I swear that if this don't do it, nothing else is going to touch it.

Let me know.

Pugman

So I took my necklace to a local Jewelry shop and had them clean my necklace to no avail, same dingy chain. Of course they tried to sell me a new one :laugh: , but I politely refused and came home to see a letter in the mail from Mr. Puggy over there... So it took 4 cycles of the cleaner and washing before it became better than new. Thank sir Pugg I'm in your debt!!! :thumbs:

100_2130.jpg

So I took my necklace to a local Jewelry shop and had them clean my necklace to no avail, same dingy chain. Of course they tried to sell me a new one :laugh: , but I politely refused and came home to see a letter in the mail from Mr. Puggy over there... So it took 4 cycles of the cleaner and washing before it became better than new. Thank sir Pugg I'm in your debt!!! :thumbs:

That's good stuff he sent you. I use it on my exhaust pipes. While we're talking about cleaning supplies, I'm in love with oxalic acid, often sold as Barkeepers Friend. BKF is wonderous stuff. Eats cooked on grease like nobody's business.

Sounds like MacGyver just stopped by. I may find a silver necklace and try this myself.

We used to do this at a place i worked at and it works amazing