• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I've started jogging

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
So I've been packing up some pounds and getting lazy lately and the girlfriend has been on my case about it, so this weekend I gave up.

I bought my first pair of sneakers-running shoes (whatever ya call them) since 8th grade (I've a big birkenstock fan) and some running pants and we went jogging for a hour yesterday. Wasn't that bad.

I asked her if I should start limiting my cigar intake to one or two a week and she answered "No, you seem happier when you smoke one a day or every other day", what a nice lady! :D :love:

KayakinBoy said:
I bought my first pair of sneakers-running shoes (whatever ya call them) since 8th grade (I've a big birkenstock fan) and some running pants and we went jogging for a hour yesterday. Wasn't that bad.
[snapback]244095[/snapback]​

take it from an ex-track & field / cross country runner of days past...get the best pair of shoes you can (nike,new balance,asics), your feet, knees and back will love you for it :D .
I used to run 5-7 miles every day during training season, as well as sprint drills, hurdles, and relay practices. needless to say, both my ACL's in my knees need work (yeah, they finally began to tear this summer). anyhow, if you can hop on an eliptical machine, or treadmill at a gym, it is lower impact and better on your knees and ankles. and those hippie birkenstock things are sure unique (no offence, they probably look great on you. Do you get a free bowl of soup with every purchase? <jk>) :whistling: :laugh:

edited for cheap attempt at humor

I started exercising again today. Trying to get my broken femur back in shape. Not to mention my beer belly. LOL
icon_beer.gif

Unfortunately, running has never agreed with me...not even when I was in excellent shape (unlike now). I used to be a real bicycling nut...250-300 miles per week. Resting heartrate in the low 50s...even into the high 40s during a routine ECG. I could ride mile after mile, all damn day at my target heartrate...but if I tried that while running, I felt like I was dying.

More power to those that can do it.

I'll pick up my pack and walk a trail for hours.
or
Racqetball after work

but RUN? My body just does not get the mechanics of it. Maybe a short jog a few paces to catch a frisbee or something. But there better be a reason for the movement outside of just moving (running).

good luck to you with it.

I like the elyptical at the gym better than running. Good luck man! :thumbs:

I have lost forty pounds this year. After I low carbed twenty off I found I liked running again. Haven't had any aching in my joints. I run 10 to 15 a week and hike about ten miles on weekends. And I buy cheap shoes and put good insoles in them. Works for me.

I think the biggest benefit is getting the blood filtered. Even more than losing the weight. With winter coming I will probably have to watch my intake a little more.

Good luck, KB.

Well, gotta run...

hudsonvalley said:
Well, gotta run...
[snapback]244459[/snapback]​

:laugh: :sign:

thanks for the support guys. :)

Great news about the jogging. I used to be in track and cross country and had bad shin splints for years. I look forward to getting back to jogging again (using interval training as a way to ease myself back into it). I have a treadmill that I use at home and have to agree that jogging never agreed with me. I always felt in pain and just couldn't acclimate to the pace and stress of doing it.

I love bike riding and when I'm in shape (which I am not) I can ride for hours without any of the pain associated with jogging. However, as you may or may not know, cycling works different parts of the body (and is actually counterproductive to jogging in that it works leg muscles that are not worked by jogging).

Personally I'd rather jog if it agrees with me. One more thing... yoga (though a bit trendy now for some 7 years) is a great way to stretch and be flexible. Believe me, if there's ONE thing I can impart onto anyone getting back into shape is 1) rest 2) eating right and 3) stretching/flexibility.

Nuff said,
Darren :whistling:

KayakinBoy said:
hudsonvalley said:
Well, gotta run...
[snapback]244459[/snapback]​

:laugh: :sign:

thanks for the support guys. :)
[snapback]244486[/snapback]​
Support is another issue altogether. Even more important than the shoes...

KB,

glad to hear that you took the initiative to live a healthier lifestyle.

I too need to do so.

The cigar smoking probably isn't helping much.
But I really don't want to give it up.

Now I'm inspired to go too!

Just need my back to heal :(

Exercise when you can...I regret not doing so when I my back was better!

PetersCreek said:
Unfortunately, running has never agreed with me...not even when I was in excellent shape (unlike now). I used to be a real bicycling nut...250-300 miles per week. Resting heartrate in the low 50s...even into the high 40s during a routine ECG. I could ride mile after mile, all damn day at my target heartrate...but if I tried that while running, I felt like I was dying.

More power to those that can do it.
[snapback]244246[/snapback]​

Same here, I can ride for hours, but have never been able to run more than a couple miles at a time. I also like riding better as it is easier for me to maintain my target heart rate for long periods of time, and that is the main reason I exercise. Apparently I need to step it up a notch as I tried on an old suit that has gotton a little snug. Im to poor to drop a couple hundred on a new one, so I figure the cheaper way is to drop about 15 lbs, we will have to see how that gos.

I didn't know you lived that far from Mickey D's. :p

KayakinBoy said:
.....went jogging for a hour yesterday.
[snapback]244095[/snapback]​

Run an extra mile for me, I like my belly :p

Lost 40 pounds last year. Went from 260-220. If I can loose 20 more I'm happy. I cut back on portions and walked.

Keep up th good work KB.

PTownshend said:
Great news about the jogging. I used to be in track and cross country and had bad shin splints for years. I look forward to getting back to jogging again (using interval training as a way to ease myself back into it). I have a treadmill that I use at home and have to agree that jogging never agreed with me. I always felt in pain and just couldn't acclimate to the pace and stress of doing it.

I love bike riding and when I'm in shape (which I am not) I can ride for hours without any of the pain associated with jogging. However, as you may or may not know, cycling works different parts of the body (and is actually counterproductive to jogging in that it works leg muscles that are not worked by jogging).

Personally I'd rather jog if it agrees with me. One more thing... yoga (though a bit trendy now for some 7 years) is a great way to stretch and be flexible. Believe me, if there's ONE thing I can impart onto anyone getting back into shape is 1) rest 2) eating right and 3) stretching/flexibility.

Nuff said,
Darren :whistling:
[snapback]244510[/snapback]​

Biking is not "counterproductive" to running. In fact, virtually any running program out there calls for running no more than 3-4 times per week (especially beginners) and to do cross-training (like biking) on the off days.

You are correct that you work different muscles, however they are still accessory muscles used while running. Strengthening these muscles while still training in a running program is likely to minimize the typical pains (i.e. shin-splints) felt by many beginning and avid runners.

Cross-training of any sort is an all around good thing no matter what type of sport you are really training for.

Good luck to all! Send some motivation my way! :p

Biking is not "counterproductive" to running. In fact, virtually any running program out there calls for running no more than 3-4 times per week (especially beginners) and to do cross-training (like biking) on the off days.

My bad.... it didn't come out as I had intended it to. My point is biking builds up muscles that running doesn't. Those muscles that are built up are the ones that (as I've been told) make running more difficult and more prone to either strains or injury. I know it sounds vague, but I can get more specifics if needs be. PM me if you'd like.

Both are good, but most importantly stretching is the utmost of importance to all of this.

Sorry for the confusion,
Darren

it was raining yesterday so that messed me up. damn weather.