• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

James Suckling and US Customs trouble

Unfortunately, our server can't find the page you're looking for. We apologize for the error.

Please try our Advanced Search page, which will allow you to quickly and easily find exactly what you seek.

If you'd like to alert us to this problem, use the Contact Us page to inform us of the error. Please be sure to include how you discovered the problem.

Thanks for browsing our site.

One of the comments under the article stands out above the rest. What could he have said to them, or how was he carrying himself in order to piss of the border agent as much as he did? Maybe it was this...."I simply and politely reminded him that the importation of alcohol into the state of California was a state matter and not federal." I'm curious to know what his definition of "politely" is.

Unfortunately, our server can't find the page you're looking for. We apologize for the error.

Please try our Advanced Search page, which will allow you to quickly and easily find exactly what you seek.

If you'd like to alert us to this problem, use the Contact Us page to inform us of the error. Please be sure to include how you discovered the problem.

Charles are you using that 8088 work computer again?
sign.gif
laugh.gif

On a more serious note, that was a great article to read, but I haven't been to Tijuana since I went on a family vacation when I was 6-7 yrs old so the only people I can relate this to are the TSA! Thousand Standing Around! They guy at the x-ray machine confiscated my little nose hair scissors and waved it around mentioning something about it being dangerous!
laugh.gif
yeah..........ok.
unsure.gif

One of the comments under the article stands out above the rest. What could he have said to them, or how was he carrying himself in order to piss of the border agent as much as he did? Maybe it was this...."I simply and politely reminded him that the importation of alcohol into the state of California was a state matter and not federal." I'm curious to know what his definition of "politely" is.

I'll say this, out of the numerous Border patrol guys I have met during the course of my job, they have tended to rate up there in terms of being jerks. This isn't to say all of them are, but a lot of them can be. I'd imagine a huge part of it has to do with the fact that they deal with a LOT of morons and BS, and are very poorly equipped for what they do. This isn't to make an excuse for them, as they still should be professional. Dunno. Guys like that give the rest of us a bad name.

Isy, I think you nailed it. I'm guessing his version of politely and the border guard's version of smarmy are quite similar. If you're going to quote the law to a guy you had better make sure you haven't forgotten anything such as hidden bottles of wine and illegal cigars.

sign.gif
laugh.gif

On a more serious note, that was a great article to read, but I haven't been to Tijuana since I went on a family vacation when I was 6-7 yrs old so the only people I can relate this to are the TSA! Thousand Standing Around! They guy at the x-ray machine confiscated my little nose hair scissors and waved it around mentioning something about it being dangerous!
laugh.gif
yeah..........ok.
unsure.gif

Ha, he fixed the link. :laugh:

You think that is bad, Dave? You should have seen the reaction I got when my clearly declared firearms I was transporting in compliance with federal guidelines were discovered. Even after I badged them, and showed them the pertinent paperwork, man, everyone in the airport was looking at me like I was a psycho. One lady standing behind me said, "Oh my God why do you need so many guns? You are what's wrong with this country!". Yeah lady, I'll remember that when the shit hits the fan and I have to protect your ass! :laugh:

Wow what a story. Not knowing the author in any way shape or form, but knowing some more eccentric authors, I wonder if he intentionally splashed the wine all over himself to beef up the column's intensity? Just a thought. Regardless it is not an experience I would want to go through any time soon.

sign.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
yeah..........ok.
unsure.gif

Ha, he fixed the link.
laugh.gif

You think that is bad, Dave? You should have seen the reaction I got when my clearly declared firearms I was transporting in compliance with federal guidelines were discovered. Even after I badged them, and showed them the pertinent paperwork, man, everyone in the airport was looking at me like I was a psycho. One lady standing behind me said, "Oh my God why do you need so many guns? You are what's wrong RIGHT with this country!". Yeah lady, I'll remember that when the shit hits the fan and I have to protect your ass!
laugh.gif

Fixed it for ya Charles! I'm glad you guys can travel and protect us while on the plane, makes me sleep better when I go to Vegas.

This isn't the first time this dude has gotten pinched upon entering the US with contraband. You'd think he would learn a little something.

I'm not a CA subscriber. Is this article indicative of his usual writing? If so, CA needs an upgrade. That's one of the worst written articles I've read in awhile.

This isn't the first time this dude has gotten pinched upon entering the US with contraband. You'd think he would learn a little something.

I'm not a CA subscriber. Is this article indicative of his usual writing? If so, CA needs an upgrade. That's one of the worst written articles I've read in awhile.

Yeah, you play with fire long enough, and you are bound to get burned. Obviously he was in the wrong, and his story may be greatly exaggerated.

Yeah, for his website postings it is pretty consistent with his usual banter. His magazine articles are better, probably because of editors keeping it in check. Dunno, I mostly just read the magazine for the interviews with people in the industry, or on particular brands, ect.

Yeah, and after putting the border guards on blast like this, I imagine it won't be the last.

Each and every time I cross they ask me what I am bringing back from Mexico.
I simply reply, "A hangover and a case of the runs"

Nine times out of ten they laugh and send me on my way.

Probably had the same attitude both times he crossed back into the country. I've been stopped with Cuban rum and cigars quite a few times, and only ONCE did they take away my cigars. It pays to be nice and respectful. If you try and tell them you know the law better than them, you will pay. If you cop a nasty attitude with them, you will pay. Same goes for getting stopped for speeding. If you're respectful, 9 times out of 10, you'll be let off. If you tell the cop, "just give me the ticket so I can go home," you'll be going home with more than just a ticket.

I've been stopped with Cuban rum and cigars quite a few times

You are one shady looking dude Is! :D

I have been many places with no problems as I simply smile and look dumb which isn't as hard for me as you might think.

I dont understand why is he so upset?
He didnt report on purpose or forget to report those
cigars and the bottles and all he got was $60 fine.

I thought smuggling CC to USA is very serious offense and you can get in serious trouble for that.
So I guess he was lucky and should be happy he didnt get in more trouble.