• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

James Suckling and US Customs trouble

Sounds like he copped an attitude. The customs agents tend to get cranky when you do that. I used to live by the Canadian boarder in NY and would make the crossing once or twice a month to buy some beer. I'm not even sure what the laws are concerming bring it back but I never had a problem crossing. I would just tell them I have X amount in the car and they always just waved me thru. Hassle the guys or mouth off to them and they'll tear your car apart and slow you down a few hours.

The guy got what he deserved! I'd have an attitude too if I was a Border Patrol Agent, how many of them got killed in 2009?

It's really just the luck of the draw with the BP in California. I am one of the most easy going guys in the world, and would get hassled all the time at that border crossing. Some guys are really cool and some are just determined to make your day hell.

Sounds like he copped an attitude. The customs agents tend to get cranky when you do that. I used to live by the Canadian boarder in NY and would make the crossing once or twice a month to buy some beer. I'm not even sure what the laws are concerming bring it back but I never had a problem crossing. I would just tell them I have X amount in the car and they always just waved me thru. Hassle the guys or mouth off to them and they'll tear your car apart and slow you down a few hours.

Sometimes the hard problem is explaining that they don't understand the law without appearing to cop an attitude. The officer has to maintain control of the situation and when they say "Hey, it's illegal" and you say "Sorry, here's a printout of the law." It's a tough situation and it can be hard to pull off with some officers. Really you can't let it go and say "Sorry officer, yes sir." because you still have the three cases to bring across.

I had this problem a bunch in college when I lived in Mass. as a California resident. I payed out of state tuition (4 times what locals pay) and part of the rules are that you get to keep your CA license and don't have to pay Mass. excise taxes on your vehicle.

Roughly 90% of patrol officers in MA do not understand that and I could get pulled over monthly and given a ticket and forced to go to court and get the judge to bounce it. After explaining myself 5-7 times in the field, I gave up and switched my license and car registration and got a 1,500 excise tax bill for the car while I was still paying out of state tuition.

Bottom line, suckling is obviously a bit of an ass but it's pretty hard to explain to a guy who's full job is knowing the law that he's wrong... in the field no less.

Actually, Suckling is a pretty cool guy. His writing persona is a little more sarcastic than he is in real life.

I thought this guy sounded familiar. I've seen some of his reviews on wine, etc. If he thinks customs is bad here, he should try it in some of the other corners of this world.

Back