• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jar Humidor Project

Crazy8

So I have been doing A LOT of reading on making a humidor out of a jar. It does not seem that it matters if it is acrylic or glass and in both cases they have a locking lid. Anyway, this seems like a great money saving idea for a humidor and a fun little project. Now just to make sure I am getting the right parts, it looks like all I need is...

1. Round piece of Spanish Cedar to put on the bottom of the jar.
2. Digital Hygrometer with calibration button
3. Humidity tube?
4. Jar, of course

So I guess I have a couple design ideas, even though I know all of this stuff could technically be thrown into a jar and left alone, that's just not how I roll. I'm a clean install kinda guy. I do however still have some questions.

1. Do you have any sources to get Spanish Cedar from? Especially small amounts.
2. Any brand suggestions on a small round Hygrometer? This is what I'm thinking right now, or something like this. http://www.cigarsinternational.com/humidification/38385/hygro-set-adjustable-digital-hygrometer/
3. If I place the cigars in the jar so that the cigars are lined against the glass/acrylic wall and then stick the humidity tube in the center of the jar, does it matter at all if the cigars touch the humidity tube or not?

Thank you all again for your help

1. For the cedar, just use one of your old cigar boxes.
2. The Caliber 3 or 4 hydrometer seems popular and works for me. Check the CP vendor section - one of the businessmen that supports CP can likely help you.
3. Depends on the tube you use. Wouldn't let anything moist directly touch the sticks.

Hope this helps.

SkyKing said:
1. For the cedar, just use one of your old cigar boxes.
2. The Caliber 3 or 4 hydrometer seems popular and works for me. Check the CP vendor section - one of the businessmen that supports CP can likely help you.
3. Depends on the tube you use. Wouldn't let anything moist directly touch the sticks.

Hope this helps.
1. Well, because I am completely new to the cigar hobby, I don't have any old cigar boxes laying around. Perhaps I can craigslist one or something.
2. I have been seeing alot of the Caliber 3 or 4. Do those come in a round version too?
3. Ill be sure to play it safe and make it so the tube doesn't touch the sticks

Thanks much for your input.

1.  Go to your local B&M.  Mine sell's them for $2

Could you just throw a bodeva pack in there instead of using the tubes? Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting your cigars wet.

I was thinking the same thing but couldn't remember how to spell boveedaa pack. ;-0  

Actually, that IS the way I would do it.

Kxthor911 said:
Could you just throw a bodeva pack in there instead of using the tubes? Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting your cigars wet.

This is exactly how the 1 jar I have is setup... I don't even have to worry about it, the 65% Boveda pack does perfect work.

Well I figured a tube would be less cumbersome and I had a good idea, I think?, too keep it away from the sticks. So this does raise some other questions.

1. Does the Boveda Pack have to be completely exposed? I only ask because if not, perhaps I could take it and stick it under the round piece of Spanish Cedar that will be on the bottom of the jar. Only I would put some holes in it or make the Cedar piece a little smaller than the size of the jar.
2. So all of the gels, tubes, everything that is not a pack or pillow, etc. is going to be "wet" then?
3. I suppose with the use of "wet" products, the only time it would be appropriate to use them would be if they were being placed in an area where there is no way for your sticks to come in contact with it? I know this seems like an obvious question.

1 :  I would believe this should be ok as long as it has clear access to the overall air volume so that it can supply and retain moisture as needed, If you want to hide it some fine, but make sure there is a good bit of air flow potential so it is used to its full extent. 
2: The gel tubes I use, Drymistat, do have a higher moisture level since you 'charge' the gel by adding distilled water to it when needed. The reason the packets/pillows are not as wet is they are self contained and you don't add moisture or water directly to them, so there is less potential for liquid to cause a problem. 
3: Over all anything wet to the touch or high in moisture is best not directly touching the sticks themselves. Its more about getting the overall humidity balanced and not worth the risk of getting a few sticks touching it over humidified or even possibly moist.

I hope that helps clear up some of your last post. I personally have used both the tubs and the pillows both are great in their own purpose. For your case I would as others have recommended try out the boveda packs, they cant be refilled so would be eventually replaced but are relatively affordable and less risk involved and less guess work. They packet would likely take up less space if positioned properly too.

-Ward

Any FYI for the Boveda, they unlike the "water pillows" can come in direct contact with your sticks, without issue.
That being said as Ward mentioned, you could place it under the cedar.

All that information is very awesome. Thank you all for your help with getting this figured out. Well, like I said, I have come across the Boveda Packs and they are quite affordable. I think I may have to see if my local tobacco shop carries everything I need, besides the jar i'm sure, to possibly make this humidor this weekend or soon-ish. Im excited to do this, get some more delicious cigars and see how everything turns out.

On a side note, since we are talking about humidors here, how long should sticks stay in a humidor like this and still be considered good? it will be in complete darkness at all times too just as an FYI.

What size jar are you using that you want to put spanish cedar, a hygro, AND a humidity tube inside? And I'm assuming cigars, too? 

tomthirtysix said:
What size jar are you using that you want to put spanish cedar, a hygro, AND a humidity tube inside? And I'm assuming cigars, too? 
Tom I was thinking the same think. When I started out with keeping stogies I used a jar I got at Walmart and a couple jell tubes drimistat (not the bead tubes) No cedar no hygro it was perfect all the time.

Pretty new to cigars also but you are over complicating this.
1. Jar
2. 1-Boveda pack (which one is up to you)
3. Cigars

Change the packs when Boveda recommends.

That's it!

I wasnt sure if the rest of the stuff still needed to be in there or not with the Boveda Pack. Should I not have something in there though showing me though that the temp/humidity IS where it should be though?

You can but its not necessary. If, where ever you keep this jar, is at a comfortable temp (below 80). Then you don't have to worry about checking the temp. The pack will do its job and keep the RH correct.

BornaTiger said:
Pretty new to cigars also but you are over complicating this. 1. Jar 2. 1-Boveda pack (which one is up to you) 3. Cigars Change the packs when Boveda recommends. That's it!

Agreed... My Jar has a Boveda in the lid, that's it.

Crazy8 said:
On a side note, since we are talking about humidors here, how long should sticks stay in a humidor like this and still be considered good? it will be in complete darkness at all times too just as an FYI.

Your smokes will keep as long as you keep the environment good.

IMO, it's best to go with a ceramic jar that seals well.

How would you clean the jar out? Or would you just air it out for a couple of days.

Do you need to air it out every few days? I guess I wasn't even aware you'd have to. If you do, I wonder if you could just put the lid down without actually locking it to create a seal, if that would be good enough? What would you be cleaning the jar out from, if you did have to clean it out?

I think he meant how would you clean it out the first time before use to get rid of any smell from the jar itself. For example you take steps to get rid of the plastic smell from a wineador just before use.