• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jar Humidor Project

CBoukal said:
I think he meant how would you clean it out the first time before use to get rid of any smell from the jar itself. For example you take steps to get rid of the plastic smell from a wineadorjust before use.

Yes sir this is what I meant.

That all depends on the material of the jar.

If it's a glass jar, then you would probably just give it a good wash with soap and water.  Dry, and put sticks in it.
If it's a plastic jar, then I would wash it out with soap and HOT water, then put it in direct sunlight for a few days and let the plastic gas out so you don;t have the "plastic" smell in the jar when you put your sticks in there.  If you are going plastic, I would suggest looking at the cool-a-dor thread to see what everyone does to prep the cooler plastic.

Well I don't know how often this happens in here, but my wife and I were talking last night about her finding a jar for me today. The funny thing is I don't know that she is completely on board yet with my new hobby. Well she called me on my lunch break to let me know she "found the perfect jar." Im excited to see what she found. I even, in question said to her "locking lid?" yup its perfect she says, "tall enough for 7" sticks?" uh huh she says. I cant wait. :) Im sure its glass since that's all I showed her and told her about so I might be in good shape. :)

If your wife bought it, it will probably hold 3 sticks.  Then you can't have to many.   To quote my wife "How many do you need at any time"

LOL...thats funny. Well I did tell her last night I want to be able to hold 10. That should be plenty for one jar. ;) We will see how she did when I get home. :)

Well I took some pics but I am unable to post them at the moment. I would say she delivered though. It was a plastic container so I let it sit in the window with soap water in it. I changed the water out once. I current have a 72 Boveda Pack in it and a Padron 2000 that he had recommended to me. This container could probably hold 20+ cigars. So yeah, form what I can tell she did quite well. ;) Her and I just got married 2 years ago, I think shes a keeper.  :love:

Sounds like a good start.  Post pics when you get the chance.

The moment you all have been waiting for ever so patiently. Nothing special, but it will/should work for many cigars huh? :)

DSC01112_zps15c6416a.jpg

Thats the Padron 2000 I was told to try. :)
DSC01111_zpsd2c714b6.jpg

DSC01110_zps1a589ac7.jpg

Looks good. Don't keep it on that computer or next to that window and you will be set.
I am thinking of doing this same set up for a travel humidor. Cheap, easy, and effective.

That should work out pretty well, it would be something I could have at my office to store a few sticks in.

That is the exact container I had for a couple months when I started out. Now it holds my cigar bands! Walmart had it can't beat the price.

Old pic the jar is now stuffed full!

IMAG0103.jpg

Just thinking about it when I look at this pic of how addicting the cigar hobby is.... First the cigar jar then the desktop my wife got me for our one year anny and now the cabinet. Your future and you don't even realize it yet! LOL

Paul

Tall Paul said:
That is the exact container I had for a couple months when I started out. Now it holds my cigar bands! Walmart had it can't beat the price.

Old pic the jar is now stuffed full!

IMAG0103.jpg

Just thinking about it when I look at this pic of how addicting the cigar hobby is.... First the cigar jar then the desktop my wife got me for our one year anny and now the cabinet. Your future and you don't even realize it yet! LOL

Paul
TP...love your humidor man.  That looks like a sweet setup.

I really wish I could see the pics here at work, sorry I didnt jump in this sooner, but I have thought abuot making jar humi's but using the humi-sheet stuff that you can buy. Thin, easy to cut...take a cigat box lid cut it to fit in the bottom and the lid, drill holes in the bottom piece, place the humi-sheet under it and off you go...

Tim

Crazy8 said:
Well I took some pics but I am unable to post them at the moment. I would say she delivered though. It was a plastic container so I let it sit in the window with soap water in it. I changed the water out once. I current have a 72 Boveda Pack in it and a Padron 2000 that he had recommended to me. This container could probably hold 20+ cigars. So yeah, form what I can tell she did quite well. ;) Her and I just got married 2 years ago, I think shes a keeper.  :love:

Pretty cool... I would say she is!!
As @broblues stated, 72% is quite high for a jar.
If it were me, I'd only go to 65%... but that is all up to you.

Yes my wife got the jar from Walmart, not sure if I mentioned that. Well my local shop only had the 72's and he said that's what he recommended, so being new in the hobby I figured I couldn't argue with the man. :) I also only placed in on my computer for the pics. It actually stays tucked in my walk-in closet in a dark corner. Literally. :)

The reason they recommend 72 rH packets is because when used in a wooden humidor, you most likely will lose ~2, thereby bringing you down to ~70 rH.  In containers that are glass or plastic with pretty much an airtight seal like a glass or plastic canister, you won't lose that ~2 rH due to absorption from the wood, or leakage through gaps in your humidor lid.  Thus...for glass/plastic jars with a gasket/rubber seal...it's probably best to go with a lower rH packet than 72...especially if you get your sticks from a B&M that over humidifies its cigars. Remember, the cigars help regulate the humidity in your jar as well since they also retain and divest moisture.  

thechenman said:
The reason they recommend 72 rH packets is because when used in a wooden humidor, you most likely will lose ~2, thereby bringing you down to ~70 rH.  In containers that are glass or plastic with pretty much an airtight seal like a glass or plastic canister, you won't lose that ~2 rH due to absorption from the wood, or leakage through gaps in your humidor lid.  Thus...for glass/plastic jars with a gasket/rubber seal...it's probably best to go with a lower rH packet than 72...especially if you get your sticks from a B&M that over humidifies its cigars. Remember, the cigars help regulate the humidity in your jar as well since they also retain and divest moisture.  
Thank you very much for that. That makes perfect sense. I will be sure to get a lower pack.