• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O Aging

I have had some J-Os after just weeks that were phenomenal, I also had one over a year old and it was bitter and nasty. I just had a XBMF a couple weeks ago that was down for months that was the worst cigar I ever had... J-Os down time varies from cigar to cigar... You never know, you need to buy a bundle, smoke one, and smoke another until they are tolerable... I will never forget how bad that XMBF is... Just my opinion, but from the info I have collected, it's almost impossible to give a correct time frame for Johnny-Os...

I have had some J-Os after just weeks that were phenomenal, I also had one over a year old and it was bitter and nasty. I just had a XBMF a couple weeks ago that was down for months that was the worst cigar I ever had... J-Os down time varies from cigar to cigar... You never know, you need to buy a bundle, smoke one, and smoke another until they are tolerable... I will never forget how bad that XMBF is... Just my opinion, but from the info I have collected, it's almost impossible to give a correct time frame for Johnny-Os...

But CJ....I waaaaaaaaaant one!

Unfortunately what I have is a less than ten stick variety pack so I may be SOL.

Unfortunately what I have is a less than ten stick variety pack so I may be SOL.

Send me a PM with what you need/want brother...

I just smoked one a day ago that's about 6-8 months old and it was great. Smoked one about a week ago that was close to a year old and it was definitely in the sick period. Glad I've got a few more to let rest. I'm excited to try one with a few years on it when they eventually get that old. :D

Ok, now I am confused. 6-8 months was not in a sick period but a year was? What gives?

Thanks for saying what was on my mind. So are these to be smoked "early" vs. letting them age a year?

John

That's ok guy (yes I said it again). You hooked me up solid not too long ago. When I was saying I want one I was joking I wanted a clear timeframe not to mooch a cigar off ya. Thanks a bunch for the offer though :thumbs:

That's ok guy (yes I said it again). You hooked me up solid not too long ago. When I was saying I want one I was joking I wanted a clear timeframe not to mooch a cigar off ya. Thanks a bunch for the offer though :thumbs:

BAWK BAWK BAWK!!! *Slaps his wings like a chicken*

Thats too bad,I was thinking of buying a bundle but I guess I need to stay away from them.

Thats too bad,I was thinking of buying a bundle but I guess I need to stay away from them.

Methinks they'll be sitting for some time before I light one up... :(

Don't give up on a cigar because someone else didn't like it. I assume they're just like the rest of the Johnny-O line: they're usually received VERY fresh and WILL go through a sick period.

Trial and error...

I've found that the sick period on these is a month or two after receiving the sticks, then they stabilize around the one year mark.

BAWK BAWK BAWK!!! *Slaps his wings like a chicken*

Chicken? Grrr....I will show you chicken...

Nash, the one that wasn't in the sick period was from a different batch. The one in the sick period, I'm not sure. It was the size of some of the ones in the split, but once I put them in a box, I don't remember which batch it came from as I have a bunch of that size.

T2P, Two things come into play with the cigars I smoked. First and foremost, they were different sizes. The one in the sick period was a larger RG so it is natural it's sick period would last a bit longer. It's also possible that the other one hadn't reached the sick period yet. Most of what I've seen and experienced is that they are really good fresh. Somewhere between a month and a year in, they go through their sick period. Somewhere between 1 and 1.5 years, they are back to smoking excellence. Frankly, I'm hoping to test this, but I didn't really keep the greatest track of when i got stuff from him, and have quite a few that I'm not sure of the age. :p I have one box that's purely for aging. I know that the cigars in it are from before July of 2009. I don't plan on touching them until July of 2010 at the earliest. That way I'll know for sure they are at least 2 years old.

One more thing that I just remembered. I once asked John about the age of the tobacco used. He told me that while the cigars were rolled recently, the tobacco inside may be older. This could also play pretty heavily into the aging process.