• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O Aging

But isn't grass and hay normal flavors you'd find in a cuban? ???

When I had one, it had some flavors that were bitter that would make you cringe.

I've seen too many blind reviews where people can't identify the "Cuban taste" to believe there is such a thing. Moki has put forward the theory that people are identifying familiarity rather than a Cuban taste. The one Johnny-O I've had had a great tobacco flavor and it was pretty fresh, I wouldn't have guessed it Cuban in a blind test and I've had domestics that I would've said are Cuban. It's certainly possible that I just suck though. :laugh:

That's it!! You two three four are going on report. :D

Edit to add another miscreant. Twice. :angry:

The best way for me to describe the cuban taste is an acrid vegetable taste.

And Moe, you did really set yourself up for that. :laugh:

I think I will light up a Johnny-O that I've had sitting in my humidor for 28 days...looking forward to it.

I've found that Johnny-O's are fantastic right out the USPS box and for a few weeks afterward. Past that, let them sit for a year, they'll go into a sick period and won't taste very good while curing. Timing depends on the size/wrapper you get - but a full year is the minimum I'd recommend for aging.

I store them at 65/65, but sometimes will dry box a few Johnny-Os for a day or two before smoking them.

My findings with these are the same as above. I've been recently enjoying soome 1 1/2 yo Lancero Shagy Foot that are smoking wonderful right now.

I've got a selection of 1,2 and 3 year old Johnny-O's in a selection of different vitolas but haven't tried too many of the others lately.

:cool:

I need to get another bundle....where is John (looking around).

I like them best fresh. Right out of the box. Had a few with a little over a year on them and they just didn't do it for me. Maybe they need a little longer stay.

DG

Smoked a Johnny-O Torpedo last night that has been in my humi just a few days shy of 1-month. The cigar was well rolled, but just a touch spongy at the foot. The cigar lit with a little more than normal effort, but burned phenomenally well. It produced moderate amounts of blue smoke, the draw was just a touch tighter than I normally like. However, the flavors were incredible. Not overly complex but delicious. Overall the profile was medium bodied and it tasted sweet. I really enjoyed it. During the last third it did start to turn a bit bitter, but not overwhelmingly so, and I put it down with just over an inch left. All in all a very good cigar. I don't know if you would call 1-month in the humidor fresh by your standards, but by mine...that is still pretty fresh even for a custom roll.

I like them best fresh. Right out of the box. Had a few with a little over a year on them and they just didn't do it for me. Maybe they need a little longer stay.

DG
I liked Johnny O's with about as much age on them as it takes me to clip & light!

Bumping an old thread to add my experience this weekend. I had a Johnny-O that I procured in the May split I hosted. All I have to say is that I really wish I would have seen this thread first!

I knew CC's had a sick period but was not sure when it started and thought the 2.5 months would not be a problem. One bitter, acrid, stomach ache inducing half of a cigar later, I stand corrected.

Happily, though, I have more experience and not only know roughly when such a period sets in but can also pick out the problem in the future. My biggest regret is that I did not drybox one on reciept to try them out to see the difference that a year or more will produce from a fresh one.

Wow. This is an old thread.

I have a few still in my humidor that I am scared to light up. Talk about being affected by your first couple smokes. :p

I just smoked one a day ago that's about 6-8 months old and it was great. Smoked one about a week ago that was close to a year old and it was definitely in the sick period. Glad I've got a few more to let rest. I'm excited to try one with a few years on it when they eventually get that old. :D

I just smoked one a day ago that's about 6-8 months old and it was great. Smoked one about a week ago that was close to a year old and it was definitely in the sick period. Glad I've got a few more to let rest. I'm excited to try one with a few years on it when they eventually get that old. :D

Were these from the split we did?

Ok, now I am confused. 6-8 months was not in a sick period but a year was? What gives?